NEED HELP Cyclic clicking in front end -- not axles, front diff or brakes

gladesteen

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Hi gang,

I had a LOUD clicking during turns recently so i changed out the drivers side half shaft -- no change. Then i changed out the passenger side. It got MUCH better, but now im hearing a very faint click, click, click......thats rotational / increases with speed. It does it straight line and in turns. Only lasts a few rotations, then it goes away.

The brakes are also good. I just changed the rotors / pads and checked to see if the mud/water guard might be rubbing....its not.

SOoo.....yesterday i drained n filled the front diff and screened the gear oil. No signs of metal anywhere.

I cannot figure it out !! Do the new axles need to break in a little ? Maybe thats what im hearing ? BTW - i bought the Cardone axles which everyone recommends.

Anyone have a guess ?

2004 Olds Bravada
AWD / Smartrack -- no selection modes

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm having a similar issue myself in the 08 Voy. There's a faint bang on take off and sometimes when I come to a stop. My u-joint is definitely a suspect but I'm also seeing a lot of diff fluid all over the bottom end of the axle.

luckily I have a complete 4.10 front and rear diff I'm planning to swap in. I just hope the disconnect and intermediate shaft are still good. looks like I'll be doing this sooner than later as it is getting worse and I'm dropping in mpg since this started. odd but true must be some resistance in the driveline. We all know I'm anal about checking every square inch of the Voy because it's my wife's daily driver. I do tend to change parts and fluids prematurely but hey it's worked for me and the Voy has never seen a flat bed or been hauled out of anywhere.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Could it actually be the disconnect? I don't remember how the awd actually works.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I highly doubt it's the disconnect because its seems to be coming more from the drivers side. What I hope is that the banging/clicking isn't going to ruin the disconnect or int. shaft. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've actually had to use 4wd other than just turning the system on to see it working on jack stands.

I also have a crazy vibration at speed of 65-79mph.(noticed it more today when going to work) After 80mph it rides smooth again.
I have to do a check list but my hubs are about 2yrs old, tires are about 6-7 months old and these wheels just got installed and balanced a few weeks ago. I also replaced both axle half shafts about 3yrs ago IIRC. I'll just have to take it all apart to find out what's what.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm at 171??? Miles. Can I pull the front drive shaft off temporarily till I pick up or have a new u-joint delivered?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
well front drive shaft is out there was some play in the u-joint but even more play in the front axle. seems I can spin it 1/8 to 1/4 inch and it knocks... not sure if this is the norm.... going to take it on the highway and see what happens.20180708_190237.jpg

Reactions: smt 59

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@gladesteen sorry I have high jacked your thread although it is similar to your issue but a little different.

After driving the Voy with out the front drive shaft the clicking bang is gone but the vibration is still very noticeable at speed 65-78ish mph. I'm going to replace the u-joint and see if that clicking returns.

Just another thing I observed down under is the the transfer case has the same play as the front diff... still not sure if this is the norm either.

As for the annoying vibration I'm going to have to slip off the axle half shafts and see how it drives then. I guess lastly would be wheel hubs unless the front axle is totally fubar. Then it's going to be a complete overhaul of replacing both the fro t and rear axles. Not really something I had in mind till the fall but I'm glad I have them both on hand.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Got the new u-joint and put it in. Still have a vibration in the front end so I ordered 2 new wheel hubs and 2 axle half shafts since I'll be replacing the front axle and want a fresh start with the new axle.20180710_192325.jpg20180710_193854.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have it in 2hi, the driveshaft shouldn't even turn. I think play like that is normal and I think I remember it as being like that. I think the noise is the chain in the transfer case.

gladesteen

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Hey, no worries about hijacking........lol

I'm still having the clicking noise. it clicks maybe ONCE per rotation in straight line, but in turns it clicks multiple times. Oddly enough, after driving for a while and getting things warmed up, no more clicking !

I'm going to just take it to a local shop and let them put it on a lift to figure this out. Its quite possible my U joint is going.......i've got nearly 190k on the odometer and they are factory. Will let you know if thats my issue.

FYI -- my entire front diff was changed out 2 yrs ago at 150k miles due to the dreaded 'seam split' in the middle. both hubs were changed at that time with timkens.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online