Cruise control issues (am I in the right forum?)

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
On my 04 4.2L Envoy, I've been tracking down the oddest cruise control problem. It seems like every second or third time I drive the Envoy, the cruise control refuses to turn on. I've played with the switch, thinking it was a contact issue - but nothing. No codes either. I've actually 'fixed' it by pulling over, shutting off the engine, and restarting the engine - the cruise control will work then without issue.

Any ideas on what to look for? It's more of an annoyance than a huge problem, but it would be nice to fix!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You happen to have a remote start?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So depending on how it's wired. It could potentially cause an issue. I scratched my head with my envoy for a bit over one of the accessory drives trying to track down a similar problem but mine was for the 4wd. On the trailblazer it was fine but that would throw a pending fault in the BCM because that portion of the ignition or accessory line was off. Not a huge deal and exactly as you said... key off and back on it was fine.

Not saying it is your issue but could be something worth checking at least if the remote start is new and the problem occurring since then. Otherwise there is something else at play but it's simple enough to ask about first. From there it gets more involved.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check your brake light bulbs, wiring and fuses. If a brake light goes out, it turns off the cruise control. Check the brake pedal switch if it's overly sensitive.

As for codes, nothing pending right?

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
What @Mooseman said..

If I am remembering correctly, even LED tails can cause issues, but I might be thinking of another vehicle.

Reactions: Matt

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Make sure you have power to your cigarette lighter. Mine would turn off if power was lost (I believe they were on the same circuit) and ANY codes would also turn off the cruise control. This did piss off the mrs. She liked her cruise control. If I "tested" it for her I erased any codes with my scanner and the cruise control would begin functioning properly again (naturally while I drove it!) She couldn't deny the cruise control working so I always told her it was operator error. lol. Her temper then would flair! I don't have my '04 any longer so I am pulling from memory, but my '04 liked to "misfire" and turn off the cruise control. It seems like in the sixteen years we had the TB the brake switch was changed twice, so it easily could cause cruise control problems if it becoming testy.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So if you have the Torque Pro app (or a few others) and an ELM327 OBD2 adapter the reason for the last 8 cruise control operations ending is saved. It may or may not reveal something.

Reactions: Mooseman

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Check your brake light bulbs, wiring and fuses. If a brake light goes out, it turns off the cruise control. Check the brake pedal switch if it's overly sensitive.

As for codes, nothing pending right?

As far as I know, my brake lights are all working - nothing burned out and the all work as intended. I've actually had the check engine light come on for a p0410 before and cruise control still worked - it shows up as pending every now and then though.

Make sure you have power to your cigarette lighter. Mine would turn off if power was lost (I believe they were on the same circuit) and ANY codes would also turn off the cruise control. This did piss off the mrs. She liked her cruise control. If I "tested" it for her I erased any codes with my scanner and the cruise control would begin functioning properly again (naturally while I drove it!) She couldn't deny the cruise control working so I always told her it was operator error. lol. Her temper then would flair! I don't have my '04 any longer so I am pulling from memory, but my '04 liked to "misfire" and turn off the cruise control. It seems like in the sixteen years we had the TB the brake switch was changed twice, so it easily could cause cruise control problems if it becoming testy.

That is interesting - I'll check that out.

So if you have the Torque Pro app (or a few others) and an ELM327 OBD2 adapter the reason for the last 8 cruise control operations ending is saved. It may or may not reveal something.

I have that device, but I never could figure out how to get it to work properly... I do have a Bosch OBD 1350, but I didn't see anything for saved cruise control data - and of course, I can't plug it in while the vehicle is running (after I test the cruise control) to see if the system engages or not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As far as I know, my brake lights are all working - nothing burned out and the all work as intended. I've actually had the check engine light come on for a p0410 before and cruise control still worked - it shows up as pending every now and then though.
That would be for the SAIS. Not all codes disable the cruise and I would assume that one wouldn't. I know those for the VVT would.

@TJBaker57 has methods to pull info info with the ELM327 that should definitely tell you why your cruise is kicking out.

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
Cruise works after restart
Classic pending P1350
Especially since you've had P0014, they're related
Fix isn't worth it if it runs good, my guess replace exhaust cam VVT gear
Just get Torque Pro working and clear code or restart like you're doing
JS

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Sometimes the cruise control fault codes are not enabled. It would take a tune to turn them back on. Other DTCs will not turn off cruise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online