NEED HELP control arm bolts loosening

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
I have 2006 Trailblazer LS 5.3L. I had new struts installed when I left FL. In OR I luckily noticed that the right side rear top bolt was sticking out by almost 2 inches. I managed to get it back in with a pair of channel locks, then took to a shop to have tightened properly. A week and half later the top bolts front and back right side were loose again. How can I fix this? Oregon is not a place you want to run off the road!!

What about Permatex threadlocker red? If that is maybe good idea, should I just loosen the bolt part way out and coat it? Or should I take the bolt out all the way (car won't collapse?)?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The torque spec on those bolts is something like 200+ ftlbs iirc.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think it's that much but red threadlocker would make it near impossible to remove without heat. Blue for this type of application should suffice.

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
The bolt is a 21mm i had the same issue and changed the control arm and it didn't back out anymore.

murdog

May 20, 2016
Duluth MN
I am having the same issues with sway bar end links. Blue thread lock will do, and if there is enough room (I dont remember if there is since it has been a while since I Changed my control arms and mounts) I would put a second nut on it to lock it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oops. I thought you were referring to the lower control arm bolts. My bad.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
NorcalSS states to hand tighten your upper control arm bolts and check them every oil change. Sure it's for modded uppers but stockers can't be any different

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And do it with the wheels on the ground with full weight on them. This will properly position the bushings.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online