NEED HELP Constantly tightening sway bar links

snoozer

Original poster
May 15, 2017
Home
Had my 2003 Trailblazer in for an oil change at the dealership, who has always been fair in helping me out with doing repairs that I can no longer do myself due to bad health, but when they noticed the swaybar links were loose again after they have tightened them up a couple of times before, told me that I would need to replace the links in order for them to stay tight now. The links that are on it are maybe 3 years old.
Wouldn't installing new links be just a temporary solution, since they will more than likely loosen up again over time?
If the sway bar links constantly come loose wouldn't the sway bar itself be egged out where the links are inserted?
I'm not familiar with the front suspension setup on these. More familiar with 60' through 80's vehicles & how to repair them.
If new sway bar links will put an end to this constant banging then I would replace them again.
If it was up to me & I was working on it I would put Loctite on them & snug the heck out of them or put a nylon locking nut on them, but can't convince them to do it my way.

Thank you
Mark

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have him check if the holes are egged out. I had this same problem and it was caused by egged out holes. Either have the holes welded or weld in a tight fitting washer. Torque them to hell with some red Loctite.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I agree with @Mooseman . My swaybar links would come loose frequently and the only thing that stopped that was red Loctite and a lot of torque. Blue Loctite did not stop them from coming loose.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
When I put my latest set of front SBELs I used washer's on both sides of the bar, torque like hell, and then a jam nut. Haven't had so much as a sound from them since. I want to do the rears, but they've not given me any real issues.

snoozer

Original poster
May 15, 2017
Home
Thanks, guys, now if I can get the repair shop to do what I want to be done. The links are actually only a couple of years old.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reactions: mrrsm

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I removed my sway bar links, vehicle rides better without them in my opinion. Of course I drive Iike an old lady and I corner like a painter turtle.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Red locktite is definitely the way to go. I tried the blue one which didn't help very much, I'm currently replacing mine right now. I bought the suspensionMAXX links for the front and rear. The nice part is that they come pre-applied with the red locktite already. The MOOG ones were good, but mine were shot after 2 years of being installed. I installed the suspensionMAXX ones in the front earlier, and it feels a lot better then when I had the MOOGs.

Reactions: snoozer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online