Cold weather bringing in problems

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well Friday night I got off work and decided to surprise my nephews and let them spend the weekend. Behold they weren't even there :no: returned to my truck and wouldn't turn over. OnStar sent someone out but he was an complete asshole who complained before he even did anything so no way I was going to let him touch my truck. My bro pulls up a few minutes later and got a jump from him. I let it run for like 20 min then made my way home. Then last night I attempt to start it up and it kinda struggled to turn over but then the engine light came on and wouldn't go off :mad:. I will bring by autozone to get the codes but my thing is should I get a battery from there or what is the best place and brand to get? I hope this engine light isn't something major:frown:

code #1 P0300 and code #2 was dealing with the steering wheel angle sensor

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Will get the spark plugs and other things that would give out code P0300 later this week. Still curious on battery brands though, my brother works for O'Reilly distributions and could get a battery for me any suggestions on their batteries?

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
I bought a WalMart battery because they have a better warranty than most.

-- Dan Meyer

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Bought Walmart Batteries as they are always the cheapest and never gave me a problem switching one out. Even having Duralast, Die hard, and Optima the walmart ones work as advertised and I always take them in 1-2 months before the warranty is up and get a new one.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
For those that have a Costco membership get the 800 CCA Kirkland battery. Cost is $80 not including core return and taxes.

It has a 3 yr 100% and 100 month therafter. Just got one the other day.

Walmart Everstart Maxx are about $100. About $120 with core and taxes.

Both have a 3 yr 100% warranty and both are 800 CCA but the Kirkland has a longer prorate period.

Which ever one you get you can be assured it's a good deal. Prices may vary a little due to the difference in north vs south batteries.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Default User said:
Probably why they changed the warranty policy recently LOL

Manufacturer sets the warranty, that and Walmart does not care. I spend enough there as it is.

CaptainXL said:
For those that have a Costco membership get the 800 CCA Kirkland battery. Cost is $80 not including core return and taxes.

It has a 3 yr 100% and 100 month therafter. Just got one the other day.

Walmart Everstart Maxx are about $100. About $120 with core and taxes.

Closest Costco is over an hour away, Walmart about 5 minutes. Besides I have not had to buy a new battery in over 7 years.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Manufacturer sets the warranty, that and Walmart does not care. I spend enough there as it is.

Closest Costco is over an hour away, Walmart about 5 minutes. Besides I have not had to buy a new battery in over 7 years.

Um. That's a brilliant idea but I'm a bit quicker than that. Exactly how do you get around their 3 year warranty on the replacement? The warranty doesn't keep extending for another 3 years. Lol.

Besides, any reputable battery store isn't going to just nilly Willy replace a known good battery for a new one. Something seems fishy about your claim.:crazy:

Either there are some dumb people working at that store or you have an inside contact doing some inside job for you.

Let me give you a bit of advice. The next time you need a new battery consider paying for it. Its actions like that which raises the cost for the rest of us. Don't worry, you'll feel better knowing you did.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Um. That's a brilliant idea but I'm a bit quicker than that. Exactly how do you get around their 3 year warranty on the replacement? The warranty doesn't keep extending for another 3 years. Lol.

Besides, any reputable battery store isn't going to just nilly Willy replace a known good battery for a new one. Something seems fishy about your claim.:crazy:

Either there are some dumb people working at that store or you have an inside contact doing some inside job for you.

Let me give you a bit of advice. The next time you need a new battery consider paying for it. Its actions like that which raises the cost for the rest of us. Don't worry, you'll feel better knowing you did.

Nope just dumb people. They need no testing, and generally create a new receipt as they take it is a return and exchange for a new one. The warranty is on the new battery not the original.

If you find me exchanging a battery under warranty immoral you should see the amount of people buying living off of our tax dollars (save that argument for another thread). I have seen people return baby formula bought under WIC and returned for store credit (not supposed to be able to but Walmart has no standards) While I have returned batteries under warranty 2 times to walmart one was actually messed up, the other had about 6 months left on the warranty and was from my old s-10 blazer. I needed a new battery without the top posts and they had no problem facilitating my needs. So really I have exchanged 1 battery that was not faulty under warranty. The current battery has 2 years left on the warranty (the one that was replaced by the one that was starting to fail).

7 year "claim" Blazer battery purchased in 2005, purchased trailblazer in Oct 2007. Battery failed in the middle of 08', took blazer battery back and got new battery for the TB. This battery starts failing near the beginning of 2011. Current battery in truck now.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
No Costco close to me, either. I like the Auto Zone DuraLast Gold battery. 3 year 100% warranty, then 5 years prorated after that. That's all I buy for batteries since buying my first one back in '98.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Attachments

• 4494.jpg
    4494.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 40

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member