code reader recommendations

signalnc

Original poster
Member
Dec 28, 2012
249
Does anyone have suggestions for a code reader? I would like a stand alone unit or one for an ipad. I do not have a smart phone, and I do not plan on getting one.Thanks for your input.


edit:

after a little research i found "dashcommand" app. The reviews are ok, but I think the "tourque" app is better. Can I buy a cheap android tablet and download the torque app? and how does it connect?

I found this tablet

http://www.biglots.com/p/emerson-7-android-dual-core-tablet
 

coolasice

Member
Oct 27, 2013
1,019
Northern Maine
for android devices bluetooth obd adapter is best. for ipad and other apple devices u need a wifi based obd adapter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Robbabob

Robbabob

Member
Dec 10, 2012
1,096
Not sure you'd wnt to buy a second tablett. for around $42.00, buy the correct adapter for i devices.

edit: Ijust saw the link. for the $55, it's up to you. Android OBDII adapter for $12 to $24, and the torque app for around $6.00, Ido not remember.
 

AWD V8

Member
Jan 12, 2015
463
The Torque app for Android is the best deal. 6 bucks for the app, 20 bucks for the ELM327 adapter. You can buy cheaper adapters are flakey.

Or you can buy an Autel scanner for about 70
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,497
Ottawa, ON
An ELM327 bluetooth adapter and the Car Gauge Pro app for Android is THE best. The only app I have found that can read all codes, including ABS, Airbag, Body and Powertrain. It gave me the code for an intermittent problem with my Stabilitrak (steering position sensor) and even told me that the relay for my headlight washers was out (I pulled it). A cheap tablet with an adapter will still be cheaper than a good dedicated code reader that does only P codes.
 

signalnc

Original poster
Member
Dec 28, 2012
249
I ordered both adapters-one for the ipad and one for an android device. I downloaded the "dashcommand" app from Itunes for $9.99. The adapters will come tomorrow. I'll let you know how the Ipad app does.
 

signalnc

Original poster
Member
Dec 28, 2012
249
Just used the "dash command" app with the wifi connector and Ipad. It works. It does what I needed. It reads the codes, among some other things. I haven't used everything it's capable of yet. I'll dive into it more when I get the chance. I still might get an android tablet down the road and compare the torque app with dash command.
The app was $9.99, the OBD2 wifi connector was 16.99. More expensive than the torque app, and the wifi connector is more expensive than the blue tooth connector.
 

Robbabob

Member
Dec 10, 2012
1,096
You are correct, sir, but $16.99 is a pretty good price for the wifi adapter.

Good on ya.
 

BVEN

Member
Nov 22, 2014
16
Does anyone have a recommendation for a program that is ELM327 windows compatible?
 

LikeEnvoy

Member
Apr 17, 2012
128
Winnipeg, MB
Most members seem to mention Android. Has anybody EVER got windows 8.1 to work with an ELM327 Bluetooth??

I have an HP Omni 10 with windows 8.1 and it just will NOT work.
After waiting for months while reading all I could to avoid buying a lemon, I saw a recommendation on this site somewhere for Interfuse, so I bought one from them.

It paired in Bluetooth ok; ScanMaster-DEMO found it and connected, reported the version as v2.1, read the battery voltage then tried to connect, saying something like "waiting for connection" . Many seconds later it reports "No connection to ECU: No Data".

Interfuse was very helpful and tried many suggestions but in the end decided it must be faulty. They even sent a replacement which they had tested first on .....wait for it..... an "Android" device! It worked for them, it seems.

However, when I tried... the same problem no ECU connection.
With Easy OBDII it reports the stage where it displays multi-protocol etc. then I click the 'Go Online' button and it waits for a while then reports a timeout and connection failure.

So is this a problem with Windows? Has anybody ever got windows to work??
Interfuse suggested trying an Android device (but I don't have one).
They also suggested trying the USB version of the adapter because it only uses one com port whereas the Windows Bluetooth may be dodgy with its two ports, perhaps.
 

coolasice

Member
Oct 27, 2013
1,019
Northern Maine
I had a hell of time getting my bluetooth module to work with windows 7. Scan XL only goes up do com20 or so and my bluetooth kept giving it com24, I had to find a program to link the comm port to com4. I was able to get it to work but it wasn't the full software so the trial expired after 15days and I just use my usb model if i need the laptop.
 

Mounce

Member
Mar 29, 2014
13,667
Tuscaloosa, AL
LikeEnvoy said:
Most members seem to mention Android. Has anybody EVER got windows 8.1 to work with an ELM327 Bluetooth??

I have an HP Omni 10 with windows 8.1 and it just will NOT work.
After waiting for months while reading all I could to avoid buying a lemon, I saw a recommendation on this site somewhere for Interfuse, so I bought one from them.

It paired in Bluetooth ok; ScanMaster-DEMO found it and connected, reported the version as v2.1, read the battery voltage then tried to connect, saying something like "waiting for connection" . Many seconds later it reports "No connection to ECU: No Data".

Interfuse was very helpful and tried many suggestions but in the end decided it must be faulty. They even sent a replacement which they had tested first on .....wait for it..... an "Android" device! It worked for them, it seems.

However, when I tried... the same problem no ECU connection.
With Easy OBDII it reports the stage where it displays multi-protocol etc. then I click the 'Go Online' button and it waits for a while then reports a timeout and connection failure.

So is this a problem with Windows? Has anybody ever got windows to work??
Interfuse suggested trying an Android device (but I don't have one).
They also suggested trying the USB version of the adapter because it only uses one com port whereas the Windows Bluetooth may be dodgy with its two ports, perhaps.
Sounds like a bad adapter to me... Exact thing my faulty one did. Would connect to Bluetooth and the app but it was having none of connecting to the PCM. A lot of the adapters work on some vehicles but not on ours.

This is the second one I got and works great on multiple vehicles.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=251488093341&alt=web


Only difference is that I use an android device. Would try on my 8.1 hp but Bluetooth worked one time then quit.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
I've only ever had success with the bluetooth ELM and my phone or tablet. I tried a Windows-based program once with a USB ELM but never got it to work.

I know some people here have a Scangauge and like it a lot.
 

C-ya

Member
Aug 24, 2012
1,098
Mooseman said:
An ELM327 bluetooth adapter and the Car Gauge Pro app for Android is THE best. The only app I have found that can read all codes, including ABS, Airbag, Body and Powertrain.
Mooseman, I just bought the Pro app today. I tried the free version yesterday and it connected, so I figured the Pro should work. If you have tips on setting up screens, let me know. Exporting layouts/profiles would be nice as I read in the reviews that some users were having to set up their screens every time they used it.

I have Torque and love it, but I want something that can read other codes if necessary.
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,497
Ottawa, ON
I had bought Scan gauge Pro at the time to just read codes other than P codes. I didn't really play with it a lot. I do like torque too but it has its limits.

If you do find out stuff or able to make it work better, I'm sure we could all benefit from the knowledge. Just start another thread though.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
I might have to try that one if it does more than Torque. At the time I got Torque there wasn't much else that was worth a shaken stick.
 

C-ya

Member
Aug 24, 2012
1,098
I'll play around and see what happens. I'll look for a support site, as well. Of course l'lI post what I find so everyone that uses it can benefit.
 

Gerbil21

Member
May 28, 2014
839
C-ya said:
Mooseman, I just bought the Pro app today. I tried the free version yesterday and it connected, so I figured the Pro should work. If you have tips on setting up screens, let me know. Exporting layouts/profiles would be nice as I read in the reviews that some users were having to set up their screens every time they used it.

I have Torque and love it, but I want something that can read other codes if necessary.
If you want to save gauge profiles you can do that on the top right corner after you set up your gauges, click there and
Choose save, then name that profile. In the preferences you can select that profile to start with. You Can also set it up to get out of that profile if you flip the screen.

As for when your looking at multiple pids you can go to live data and select extract list and make a list of the pids you want (trans. Temp, speed, mph) next time you want to see those pids select import. Also in the preference you can enable data logging for multiple pids and it will log all pids that you selected. You can also turn on time stamping for the pids being logged
 

C-ya

Member
Aug 24, 2012
1,098
Thanks, Gerbil. I tried it real quickly yesterday evening, and I can still only get 4 items to show up for the Graphing. When I select Dashboard to set up gauges, those same 4 items (or maybe none? I can't remember right now.) show up. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Would yo care to walk through an initial setup? I pick things that seem generic to make it work. That may be my issue.

Here is the support forum. Doesn't look too promising... http://scantech.proboards.com/
 

Gerbil21

Member
May 28, 2014
839
C-ya said:
Thanks, Gerbil. I tried it real quickly yesterday evening, and I can still only get 4 items to show up for the Graphing. When I select Dashboard to set up gauges, those same 4 items (or maybe none? I can't remember right now.) show up. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Would yo care to walk through an initial setup? I pick things that seem generic to make it work. That may be my issue.

Here is the support forum. Doesn't look too promising... http://scantech.proboards.com/
If your not connected to the car it will only show those basic pids like the 3 you got. Once you connect to the car it should show you all pids

Press connect, select GM or all, no scan, then choose obd (may not be that exact order). After it says ready you can go to diagnostics to view pids or go to graph and select the pids for the gauges.
 

C-ya

Member
Aug 24, 2012
1,098
OK, thanks. I was connected yesterday, because it would read the voltage just fine. I'll try what you suggest and see what happens.
 

Gerbil21

Member
May 28, 2014
839
C-ya said:
OK, thanks. I was connected yesterday, because it would read the voltage just fine. I'll try what you suggest and see what happens.
Ok let me know how it goes, I'll take some pics if I can today and show it from start to end
 
  • Like
Reactions: C-ya

LikeEnvoy

Member
Apr 17, 2012
128
Winnipeg, MB
Some helpful info to finish off my post in this thread (even if a bit late):
I finally got a Viecar adapter and it works with my android phone. This adapter has a v1.5 ELM 327 whereas the bad adapter had a v2 chip. I discovered from a knowledgeable person that v2 ELMs have issues, whereas the v1.5 chip does work with most ECUs.
My problem had been my phone connected to the adapter but would not connect to the ECU.

I have been using Torque pro for some time now with the Viecar and there si no problem. Also, with ChevroSys free on my phone, I can read ABS and SRS codes too. Helped me with several problems.

Haven't tried CarGauge Pro yet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mooseman

Joe_67

Member
Aug 9, 2022
56
Central Virginia
(I know this thread is old, but it was just resumed, so I figure what the heck).

A few years back I bought a Bluedriver. It's not as cheap as some other options (I paid $100, now up to $120) but that includes their app so it's the whole package.

There might be better deals or things now, but at the time I was scouring the world for something that would read all codes from all things - and that's what they claim. I was just tired of not being able to read ALL of my own codes, and had added an old Prius hybrid and my '02 Envoy to my fleet (and then later and '06 9-3 convertible). I just plain old needed access and didn't want to have to figure out both tech2 and techstream (Toyota's system).

I've been very happy with it, and it only failed me once when trying to get airbag codes from a friend's '05 Sierra. Tech support was really willing to help and not happy that this happened - i.e. they really wanted to fix it. But I was no longer hooked up to the truck so couldn't get them the data they needed. But they are highly responsive and do give a darn.

Other than that one instance, it seems to pull all codes, including history/pending/current from the GMs and the Toyota Prius. For the latter I've needed it for hybrid battery problems. I also did use it once for a friend looking at a used Subaru and it pulled air bag codes, so I know it's not completely messed up in that regard.

It also does your basic live data stuff, of course. I've only used it so far for typical PIDs (e.g. fuel trims and whatnot) so I can't say if it's more powerful in that respect than other, cheaper options. But it's quite powerful as a code reader.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,400
Posts
638,838
Members
18,614
Latest member
dakis

Members Online