Code P0014

frogman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
This code is killing me.
Took to mechanic and he changed the actuator 2 years ago.
Code came back. Changed same part.
Code came back. (it;'s been cleared and reset each time.)
Mechanic said there was an update for my computer so he took it to someone for the update which he said should fix the problem. Another $100. (If anyone knows if there really was an update, please let me know.)
Code came back. It's been intermittent. Really bad mileage. 13.5 MPG combo.

Any ideas out there?

Jul 24, 2012
Well, the part is cleanable, for one thing. So you don't necessarily need to replace it to clear up the trouble code. It's not as easy as pumping gas, but it's fairly simple with a couple of sockets and the willingness to taking your truck apart. There's a pretty good thread on here for the repair.

If you don't/can't wrench, the only other part I might consider replacing is that mechanic.

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
It could be the cam phaser itself. Just curious. How many miles on the truck? Do you run synthetic oil? Have you ever used an engine cleaner (added to oil temporarily).

My P0014 went away after running Mobil 1 High Mileage for about 1000 miles. No kidding..

frogman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Hi 6716 and Ed,

I run Mobile 1 full synthetic. Cam phaser replaced 2 years ago at about 140,000 miles. Took it out and cleaned it at 165,000. checked screens, all intact. Took it back to mechanic to check further and he replaced it again at 166,000. I run Seafoam in the fuel tank periodically but nothing in the oil.

Not sure where to go from here. But seriously doubt that I'll go back to the same mechanic. He "promised" to look further and get back to me. He lost my confidence on that one.

Do you know if there were any computer updates released that Chevy never mentioned?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
frogman said:
Hi 6716 and Ed,

I run Mobile 1 full synthetic. Cam phaser replaced 2 years ago at about 140,000 miles. Took it out and cleaned it at 165,000. checked screens, all intact. Took it back to mechanic to check further and he replaced it again at 166,000. I run Seafoam in the fuel tank periodically but nothing in the oil.

Not sure where to go from here. But seriously doubt that I'll go back to the same mechanic. He "promised" to look further and get back to me. He lost my confidence on that one.

Do you know if there were any computer updates released that Chevy never mentioned?
The Actuator and Phaser are two different parts.
The actuator (CPAS) is what you can replace by moving the Power Steering pump out of the way, (right side near the front of the head).

The Phaser is mounted to the exhaust camshaft under the valve cover and is driven by the Timing Chain, The CPAS sends oil pressure to either advance or retard the Phaser/cam timing and the position is reported by the Cam Sensor (front of head, right side).

The Phaser can go bad and is time consuming and hence costly to replace.

The Trouble shooting flow chat needs to be used to find the bad part.

Although I don't have the I6, the reports on here indicate the OEM Delco brand CPAS is warranted. Did the replacement of the CPAS fix the problem both times?

Reactions: Mooseman

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The phaser itself is an expensive part, too. The manufacturing tolerances are extremely tight to get the desired action. Plopping in new CPAS each time may have just been staving off the problem by having no wear, thus allowing some easier compensation for a less-than-stellar phaser.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a similar code (p1345) that just wouldn't go away and it was the cam phaser (the one that looks like a gear attached to the exhaust camshaft). It was a fairly involved job, requiring the removal of the valve cover and special tools to keep the timing chain from falling into the engine. Took 4-5 hours.

Looking at my old thread at TV, a couple of posts say to make sure you're using the right oil viscosity and another said he cleaned the cam sensor as well as "cam tone wheel", which inside the hole of the cam sensor. Worth a shot.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=91701&highlight=damn&page=4

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Deep-cleaning of the CPAS is also possible. The person with a little more skill than the basics as presented in the article can use an allen wrench to unscrew the end. There is a spring directly under it, and then the valve slide beneath that. This would allow a thorough cleaning inside and out. It is important to note how the end cap is installed, as it should be reinstalled in the same way it was removed; it is possible to screw it in too far.

agaxiola

Jan 1, 2015
Hi evryone,

I have the same problem with the code 1400. I checked on what to do to clean it and i have to clean the throttle body. I have yet to do it. I also have another problem my truck idles low when I step on the brakes to come to a stop at a red light. Any clue on what this might be?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely try cleaning the CPAS, then the cam sensor. The I5 is a little different our I6 but cleaning the throttle body is a possibility for the idle. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes while cleaning it to reset everything.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
agaxiola said:
Hi evryone,

I have the same problem with the code 1400. I checked on what to do to clean it and i have to clean the throttle body. I have yet to do it. I also have another problem my truck idles low when I step on the brakes to come to a stop at a red light. Any clue on what this might be?
Since you'll be taking the tools out, doing the throttle body is a great idea. If stepping on the brakes continues to present an issue, you may have a vacuum problem somewhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online