Cleaning out cat converter

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys, im wondering if it is a good idea to clean my Cat. Ive heard of some of your guys getting clogged. I see 2 bolts in the fron of the cat that attaches to the pipe coming off the engine. Im afraid if it mess with it that the bolts will break because of how brittle they get. Ive got 140,xxx miles on the TB.
Any thoughts/info/advice is much apreciated.

Im baisically wondering weather to clean the catalytic converter, or just leave it alone.

-Dan

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03TB93 said:
Hey guys, im wondering if it is a good idea to clean my Cat. Ive heard of some of your guys getting clogged. I see 2 bolts in the fron of the cat that attaches to the pipe coming off the engine. Im afraid if it mess with it that the bolts will break because of how brittle they get. Ive got 140,xxx miles on the TB.
Any thoughts/info/advice is much apreciated.

Im baisically wondering weather to clean the catalytic converter, or just leave it alone.

-Dan

Hubby and I plan on taking the cat off and pushing a piece of rebar through the cat to break up all the honey comb shit inside. This will prevent any future clogs, but render the cat completely useless of it's job as well. With this method, you could get a CEL/SES light due to screwing uo the 02 sensors as the PCM likes to see the difference between the first and second one. As far as just cleaning it....I have no idea if that can be done. How do you plan on attacking it?

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Voymom said:
Hubby and I plan on taking the cat off and pushing a piece of rebar through the cat to break up all the honey comb shit inside. This will prevent any future clogs, but render the cat completely useless of it's job as well. With this method, you could get a CEL/SES light due to screwing uo the 02 sensors as the PCM likes to see the difference between the first and second one. As far as just cleaning it....I have no idea if that can be done. How do you plan on attacking it?

No idea honestly lol. your method sounds pretty good tho. i was seriously considering getting rid of the cat all together and just running straight pipe. But that absolutly would not pass emissions. And if you break up the honey comb stuff, is that just all of the crap thats gathered in there? or is that there when it comes from the factory. And do you know if it would pass emisions if you knocked that out? and the reason i say about the bolts breaking, is because i remeber it was actually your thread where u said u broke a bolt, and i deff dont want that to happen :no: haha

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
There has been mixed success among various makes using a pair of spark plug non-foulers as a spacer for the rear o2. The theory is by spacing the rear sensor out, the PCM is "tricked" in to thinking the cat is present due to the tip not being directly in the exhaust stream.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
kardain said:
There has been mixed success among various makes using a pair of spark plug non-foulers as a spacer for the rear o2. The theory is by spacing the rear sensor out, the PCM is "tricked" in to thinking the cat is present due to the tip not being directly in the exhaust stream.

so i could essentially remove the cat completly and this would trick the PCM that everything is fine? and would this allow emmisions to pass using this "cover up"?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03TB93 said:
No idea honestly lol. your method sounds pretty good tho. i was seriously considering getting rid of the cat all together and just running straight pipe. But that absolutly would not pass emissions. And if you break up the honey comb stuff, is that just all of the crap thats gathered in there? or is that there when it comes from the factory. And do you know if it would pass emisions if you knocked that out? and the reason i say about the bolts breaking, is because i remeber it was actually your thread where u said u broke a bolt, and i deff dont want that to happen :no: haha

The honey comb is what's inside the cat when you buy it brand new, it's a "filter". And if you knock the honey comb out or the guts of the cat out it will definitely NOT pass emissions either. If you have emissions the best bet for you is to leave well enough alone lol. These things are expensive to replace, and if you slip up and punch a hole in it or cause some type of issue, you will most likely have issues with passing emissions.

Iowa does not have emissions or any inspections for that matter, so I'm free and clear to cut mine completely off and leave it that way, until of course I piss off the right cop, then I'm screwed lol.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03TB93 said:
so i could essentially remove the cat completly and this would trick the PCM that everything is fine? and would this allow emmisions to pass using this "cover up"?

I'd say no, It tricks the PCM yes, but thats just so you don't get the annoying SES light. But during emissions testing I don't think it would. It wouldn't pass a visual inspection as the cat would be gone, and if you have to hook it up to some machine for emissions testing, it would likely fail as well.

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Voymom said:
The honey comb is what's inside the cat when you buy it brand new, it's a "filter". And if you knock the honey comb out or the guts of the cat out it will definitely NOT pass emissions either. If you have emissions the best bet for you is to leave well enough alone lol. These things are expensive to replace, and if you slip up and punch a hole in it or cause some type of issue, you will most likely have issues with passing emissions.

Iowa does not have emissions or any inspections for that matter, so I'm free and clear to cut mine completely off and leave it that way, until of course I piss off the right cop, then I'm screwed lol.

Aww lucky!! im jelous you can do this :frown: lol. I may just save the cat and weld pipe than,(switch it back for emmisions) idk. But your right, i should probably leave it alone.. haha Thanks for the info voymom :thumbsup:

Ill deff let you know if i take it off or anything. ill take pics :cool:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
03TB93 said:
Aww lucky!! im jelous you can do this :frown: lol. I may just save the cat and weld pipe than,(switch it back for emmisions) idk. But your right, i should probably leave it alone.. haha Thanks for the info voymom :thumbsup:

Ill deff let you know if i take it off or anything. ill take pics :cool:

Your welcome! And sounds good, we haven't pulled the trigger on ours yet. I'm concerned about the Carbon Monoxide leaking into the cab of the truck. I don't want to poison the kids during the winter when the windows are rolled up. However I wouldn't have to worry about screaming kids on long trips either lol But I didn't say that :biggrin:

Reactions: Carl Brooks

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Voymom said:
Your welcome! And sounds good, we haven't pulled the trigger on ours yet. I'm concerned about the Carbon Monoxide leaking into the cab of the truck. I don't want to poison the kids during the winter when the windows are rolled up. However I wouldn't have to worry about screaming kids on long trips either lol But I didn't say that :biggrin:

hahaha. Hey, you may have just thought of a new invention/ Mod. I know of alot of moms or any parent for that matter who would pay good money for it :raspberry:
Keep me updated if you do this. Im also curious to see any sound benifits or MPG benifits :thumbsup:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Voymom said:
I'd say no, It tricks the PCM yes, but thats just so you don't get the annoying SES light. But during emissions testing I don't think it would. It wouldn't pass a visual inspection as the cat would be gone, and if you have to hook it up to some machine for emissions testing, it would likely fail as well.

All depends on the test method. Some states/counties forego visual in favor of sniffer and/or obd2 port testing... Even then, the success rate of the spacer isn't that great. It works fine for a time, but will/may toss cel's.

Just remembered.... I have one of these in my Sunfire (well, similar from Casper Electronics, before they got forced to stop selling sims by the EPA) ... The pcm doesn't play nice at all without the rear o2 sensor.

http://www.ubertechnics.com/o2_simulator_2.5.aspx

Like the spacer, good luck if you have a visual test.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
I'm concerned about the Carbon Monoxide leaking into the cab of the truck.

Why? Gutting the cat will change nothing about fumes in the cab. If you currently have fumes getting in the cab, then fix it. Would you worry about changing the muffler and that causing fumes? Same principal. The exhaust is totally outside the cab, so you can run open manifolds or headers and not worry about Carbon Monoxide inside the cab.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why? Gutting the cat will change nothing about fumes in the cab. If you currently have fumes getting in the cab, then fix it. Would you worry about changing the muffler and that causing fumes? Same principal. The exhaust is totally outside the cab, so you can run open manifolds or headers and not worry about Carbon Monoxide inside the cab.

That's awesome to know! I posted this before and a few people here told me that would be a huge concern. I didn't think it played a huge factor until they chimed in. I'll have to find the thread. I don't have any exhaust fumes in the cab as of now.

This was a comment MDBT left about me removing the cat converter and resonator. No one else chimed in so I went with it. It was in my thread about better gas mileage after removing the can.
Even with the cat you've left the exhaust exiting under the chassis and that poses a danger of exhaust gases getting into the cabin as well especially at idle.

Therefor with the resonator delete leaving the exhaust exiting under the chassis, it would be practically the same risk as removing the cat converter. I would worry because I am simply upping the risks(in my opinion) by having both the resonator delete and the cat converter removed.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It seemed like every few months on the OS, there would be a recurring discussion about whether or not having the exhaust dump behind the rear wheel under the vehicle because the resonator was chopped with no extension pipe or tip. Some say you'll get fumes, others say you won't. I've been running with no can back there, or anything put in it's place for almost a year now. I don't smell fumes, and don't expect to. :twocents:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
It seemed like every few months on the OS, there would be a recurring discussion about whether or not having the exhaust dump behind the rear wheel under the vehicle because the resonator was chopped with no extension pipe or tip. Some say you'll get fumes, others say you won't. I've been running with no can back there, or anything put in it's place for almost a year now. I don't smell fumes, and don't expect to. :twocents:

You may not smell fumes, but carbon monoxide is odorless, you won't smell it. I don't smell fumes either with my resonator cut off. I have a portable carbon monoxide tester that I can test the inside of the truck with, actually it's a friends tester. After they nearly died due to carbon monoxide poisoning in their home they purchased one to test hotel rooms and such. They are very paranoid, and rightfully so.

In the summer i'm not to worried about it, mainly because I have all operating windows completely open/rolled down. In the winter I have my window cracked as everyone needs the heat on full blast and I get to hot. I'm not worried about the resonator itself, but combined with a cat delete and the resonator delete, I worry I may be over doing it as far as the risks go.

I mean either way, with or without there is a risk, and not only with vehicles but in homes too. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting anyone in the process.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Maybe the Voys are different, and the underside of your truck can separate the carbon monoxide from the rest of the exhaust fumes that you CAN smell, so yeah, I would see how that would be cause for concern. :tongue:

In the end, you gotta do what you feel is right for you and your family. Nothing wrong with playing it safe by any means. :grouphug:

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
:iagree:

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:

I didnt take my cat off , Just unbolt the muffler from it pull it over to the side and put a peace of plastic over the opening of the pipe to the muffler,, ''to keep cat guts out .then start jabbing the cat guts with rebar or a very large screw driver . then start the motor for a second and blow the loose stuff out . and keep repeating .and here this will stop the codes.I think its the right number on the foulers . 2 years and no code

O2 Sensor modification using spark plug non-foulers
http://www.esmhome.org/library/o2-sensor/o2nonfouler.pdf

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
^ awesome. Thanks man. Thats very intresting. Im deff gonna have to read up more about that :cool:

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
I have the cat removed on my civic so i could run my long tube header and i used the spark plug non fouler trick and it has worked great from the start and been going strong for 3 yars now , only thing is i feel bad for the peopl behind me that dont have thier vents set to recirc as it does tend to make ya eyes water , but it has always passed emissions with the OBD2 test no check enging light just its gonna be raspy as hell with the cat gone and the resonator delete

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
BOOMERZ said:
I have the cat removed on my civic so i could run my long tube header and i used the spark plug non fouler trick and it has worked great from the start and been going strong for 3 yars now , only thing is i feel bad for the peopl behind me that dont have thier vents set to recirc as it does tend to make ya eyes water , but it has always passed emissions with the OBD2 test no check enging light just its gonna be raspy as hell with the cat gone and the resonator delete

A good raspy or bad raspy? lol and how hard was it to do the fouler??

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
when i did it on the civic it became like a swarm of pissed off bees , it wasnt hard at all al you have to do is get 2 non foulers and drill only one of them out to 1/2" clean the burrs off and then put that on the O2 sensor and the nthe other one that was not modded on the end and put it in the pipe and ur set i havent done it on the TB yet

03TB93

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
BOOMERZ said:
when i did it on the civic it became like a swarm of pissed off bees , it wasnt hard at all al you have to do is get 2 non foulers and drill only one of them out to 1/2" clean the burrs off and then put that on the O2 sensor and the nthe other one that was not modded on the end and put it in the pipe and ur set i havent done it on the TB yet

Yet?? Are you planning on doing the TB. Thatd be cool man, if you do, id apreciate if you took some pics of the process :biggrin:

And im sure the TB would sound better than a civic just because of the engine difference :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
BOOMERZ said:
i feel bad for the peopl behind me that dont have thier vents set to recirc as it does tend to make ya eyes water

I might just have to consider this mod even more. I think it would be a GREAT way to keep people around here from riding my ass all the time. :undecided:

And joke all you want lol I walked myself right into whatever smart ass comments that are pending :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Maybe the Voys are different, and the underside of your truck can separate the carbon monoxide from the rest of the exhaust fumes that you CAN smell, so yeah, I would see how that would be cause for concern. :tongue:

In the end, you gotta do what you feel is right for you and your family. Nothing wrong with playing it safe by any means. :grouphug:

If the exhaust exits from under the vehicle properly...it doesnt matter what the underside can seperate...

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
i have been thinking bout putting either a flowmaster 40 or 50 on it , when i bought it the resonator was already removed but they had installed a quiet flow on there its not loud or anything but ive also heard that out trucks with the I6 and straight exhausts sound like civic with fart cans on it , i miss the sound of my civic so i might do this and see

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah on the trailblazer .Its not a big difference in sound with or without the cat. some cars and trucks have a thin wall cat that if you gut it . there is a loud hollow sound.But the cat on the TB. is a thicker Gauge metal . not much deference in sound.

The large screwdriver I had to gut the cat was for taking off Gun stocks.about 2 feet long. ''homemade'' and a socket will fit on the end .So I just pushed it it the cat and put a Ratchet on and kept turning and cutting the guts out. Takes some work. You can use a hand drill an large bit or bar too. and keep working it.

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
lint said:
Yeah on the trailblazer .Its not a big difference in sound with or without the cat. some cars and trucks have a thin wall cat that if you gut it . there is a loud hollow sound.But the cat on the TB. is a thicker Gauge metal . not much deference in sound.

a few years back when i had my S-10 with the 383 i had a straight pipe exhaust but then they were doing live stops checking for modded exhausts i took a old cat split it and then welded it around the straight pipe ticket / fine averted :biggrin::raspberry:

lint

Dec 4, 2011
BOOMERZ said:
a few years back when i had my S-10 with the 383 i had a straight pipe exhaust but then they were doing live stops checking for modded exhausts i took a old cat split it and then welded it around the straight pipe ticket / fine averted :biggrin::raspberry:

LOL I did about the same .I would get a pipe ,stick it through the cat and have the ends stretched to make it tight in the cat and weld the cat back up. Stopped the hollow sound too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online