Cheap Quads & Fogs

fletch09

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,982
Since my TB was new, did not want to start attaching wires etc. might void warranty.
A guy at the local Advance Auto Parts helped me figure this out.
All lights work as normal. auto on, etc.

This is how it works on my 09:

Headlights work normal, drl's come on when put into gear (no fogs on)
(on mine i can kill drl's by moving switch to the left)

w/ drl kill on, if i depress the fog light button, i get fogs and parking lights (front & rear)

headlights on (auto or manual) put brights on, all 6 lite up

flash to pass( w/ head lights on, or drl kill on ) all 6 lite up

Parts needed:
2 diodes, available @ radio shack. # IN4004 (1 amp diode, 400 v, 30 amp max return voltage)
.99 to 1.99 for a pak of 2 (IN4005, 4006 will also work)

helpful: needle nose plyers, flashlight, magnifying glass

this is all done in the Body Control Modual (BCM) under the drivers side rear seat.
(ext or xl's may need to remove (un-bolt) the rear seat for better access.

1) DISCONNECT BATTERY if you don't and don't hit the right slots, may set off a bunch of codes,
and may require a trip to dealer to clear.

2) take cover off the BCM, for quad headlights unplug the LOWER harness

3) find the PINK/WHITE wire (headlights) insert the non silver or non silver striped end
into the slot. (just push in, it should be snug)

4) find the BLACK/WHITE wire (brights) and insert the silver or silver striped ind into that slot.

5) plug harness back in. if no fogs involved, reconnect battery and your ready to go.

6) if you have and want fogs on also, unplug UPPER harness,
find GREEN/WHITE wire (GREEN/LT GREEN in some models) and plug
the non silver/ non striped end into that slot.

7) plug harness back in

8) take the silver or silver striped end of that diode and wrap it around the side of the diode
going to the BLACK/WHITE wire ( silver or striped end to silver or striped end)

9) reconnect battery and test.

this worked on my 09 and have had it since March 09 w/ no issues.

hope this helps other members who want quads, but are afraid of warranty issues.
no one can tell unless they get into the BCM
 

Attachments

  • bcm quad lites 001.jpg
    bcm quad lites 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 86
  • bcm quad lites 004.jpg
    bcm quad lites 004.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 81
  • quad head lites w fogs 001.jpg
    quad head lites w fogs 001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 80

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
CdnGMan said:
Thanks for that Fletch... how long did it take to complete this???
I may just add this to "my list"... :undecided:

I see you have a EXT. That means you need to take out the back (middle) seat to get to the BCM.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
CdnGMan said:
I think what you meant to say was that Stef would have to remove the back seat to get at the BCM... right? :wootwoot:

Stef has a lot of work to do.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,697
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Make sure Stef has an 18mm deep socket, he'll need it. :wink:
 

fletch09

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,982
CdnGMan said:
Thanks for that Fletch... how long did it take to complete this???
I may just add this to "my list"... :undecided:

on a swb should only take 10-15 min. depends on how big your hands are and how well your eyes work.
on extended depends how long it takes to unbolt the seat.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,697
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fletch09 said:
on a swb should only take 10-15 min. depends on how big your hands are and how well your eyes work.
on extended depends how long it takes to unbolt the seat.

:tongue: Unbolting is the easy part. Lifting that awkward sucker out is another story. I imagine it would be a lot easier with 2 people, not to mention easier on your lower back :ugh:

When I installed my DRL killer, I think it took me about a half hour start to finish. The majority of the time was spent trying to either lift the seat off the bolts, or get the mounting holes lined up with the bolts when putting it back in.
 

Regulator

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,496
You know there is another way to do this without having to go through the hassle of removing the back seat.
 

fletch09

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,982
Regulator said:
You know there is another way to do this without having to go through the hassle of removing the back seat.

:iagree:

i've seen your method, actually watched you do it @ the meet tyler hosted. :thumbsup:
you should post that up also.
give the other members a choice on how to achive quad beams.
it's a great mod no matter how you do it.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I agree. I have the pin swap, but this seems to be a nice alternative.

Nice write-up.
 

Taz6056

Member
Dec 21, 2011
49
Hi everyone on the new site, and a special hello to to other banned members of the OS. This was one of the first mods that I was able to do to the Envoy due in large part to the first posting of this idea, so a HUGE thank you to Fleth and his local Advanced Auto guy.

Marc
 

Yacdogg

Member
Apr 27, 2012
92
I got the diodes listed, I was wondering will this work on an 06 LS ? If so, are the wire color the same ? Also, :smile: where is the BCM ? (sorry, new owner, just got my TB last week)
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Yacdogg said:
I got the diodes listed, I was wondering will this work on an 06 LS ? If so, are the wire color the same ? Also, :smile: where is the BCM ? (sorry, new owner, just got my TB last week)

Yes, this will work for a 06 LS (That's what I have). Yes, the wire colors are the same. The BCM is under the back seat on the drivers side. There is one cover that reveals the fuse panel and a bigger cover for the BCM.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
We did our quad beams on our XL without the need to even touch the back seat. Hubby used wires from under the steering column, we didn't even need to buy diodes or anything. Just switched a few wires. I actually think we used Regulators method if IIRC :undecided:

BUT, I'm not sure if all 6 of my lights come on like in your pic fletch. Now I'm going to have to go out in the piss pour rain and check lol

Nope...the parking lights don't come on. I may have to change that.....better yet hubby may have to change that lol
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Yacdogg said:
Got the mod done, loving it, now Silver Star Ultra's or Philips X-treme Power bulbs ?

Hella

[EBAY]370609199712[/EBAY]

I've had my lights from this seller for over a year with no problems, you just don't get the retail packaging.
 

fletch09

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,982
Voymom said:
We did our quad beams on our XL without the need to even touch the back seat. Hubby used wires from under the steering column, we didn't even need to buy diodes or anything. Just switched a few wires. I actually think we used Regulators method if IIRC :undecided:

BUT, I'm not sure if all 6 of my lights come on like in your pic fletch. Now I'm going to have to go out in the piss pour rain and check lol

Nope...the parking lights don't come on. I may have to change that.....better yet hubby may have to change that lol


that sounds like Regulators. his method is another good alternative to acheve the same results. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe you lose the flash to pass
with that method.


in my pic the parking lights are on because the headlight switch was activated.
 

Uncle Blazer

Member
Dec 8, 2011
263
A couple bucks for quads & fogs? Are you kidding me? where the F is my closest Radio Shack? *end rhetorical questions*

Nice write-up.....looks like another mod to feed the bug.:thumbsup:
 

suburbs

Member
Jan 6, 2012
86
Removing the blue clips in the harness plugs removes 15 minutes and 6-8 F bombs from the process.
 

Ghost

Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Alright im a little confused about the first post. I already have quads set up did it under the steering wheel on a harness swapped a few wires. All i want to do is make.my fogs stay on if i hit.my high beams.
 

Phantom

Member
Jun 17, 2012
277
Ghost said:
Alright im a little confused about the first post. I already have quads set up did it under the steering wheel on a harness swapped a few wires. All i want to do is make.my fogs stay on if i hit.my high beams.
This link is for an envoy but the concept is the same. don't know if the wires are the same color or not but i would assume that the pins would be the same. hope that helpshttp://gmtnation.com/f93/how-quad-beams-automatic-fogs-1503/
 

Ghost

Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Phantom said:
This link is for an envoy but the concept is the same. don't know if the wires are the same color or not but i would assume that the pins would be the same. hope that helpshttp://gmtnation.com/f93/how-quad-beams-automatic-fogs-1503/

Thanks made a reply there hopefully someone can chime in so I can do the mod tmrw before my new hid bulbs get delivered:biggrin::rolleyes::thumbup:
 

Shdwdrgn

Member
Dec 4, 2011
568
I've often wondered why the 4004 was chosen for this mod? All of the 1N400x diodes are rated at 1amp, the only difference is voltage. The 4001 is much more common, but is still rated for a 50V load. I did the quad mod a couple years ago, but have lately been considering adding the fog diode as well, and since I only have 4001's in my parts box, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot... There do not appear to be any issues at all. The fogs stay lit with the high beams, and as far as I can tell by touch, the diode did not even get warm.

For either mod, the diode is simply signaling a relay, so there should be very little current draw, and of course the voltage is only going to be around 14V - well within range of any of the 1N400x diodes. (See this page for details)

If your local store carries only the 4001, go ahead and use it. If you have a choice between parts and the cost difference is not an issue (and really, they should be within a few cents), get the one with the higher number.
 

Sir ffeJ

Member
Dec 1, 2011
543
Did you adjust the angle of your lights, doing this mod? I would think you'd have to in order not to blind on coming traffic.
 

Shdwdrgn

Member
Dec 4, 2011
568
Sir ffeJ said:
Did you adjust the angle of your lights, doing this mod? I would think you'd have to in order not to blind on coming traffic.

I don't think I understand what you're asking... You shouldn't have your high beams on when another car approaches, and the fog lights have always been enabled while the low beams were on... So what light would you be adjusting?
 

Ghost

Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Shdwdrgn said:
I don't think I understand what you're asking... You shouldn't have your high beams on when another car approaches, and the fog lights have always been enabled while the low beams were on... So what light would you be adjusting?

Low beam hids ???? Since there is no optical inside our stock housing i could see it blinding traffic but a simple adjustment will fix that and as for fogs lmao ? Adjustment really no need for that. Atleast not on my boat :biggrin:
 

Ghost

Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
anaqypyj.jpg


3000k. 35w xentec bulbs not bad they look green until about 3min warm up :smile: there not bright enough!!!! I want 55w hid
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Ghost said:
I want 55w hid So I can melt my housing!!!

Fixed it for you. I melted one of my housings with a 50w halogen bulb. DON'T DO IT!!!
 

Ghost

Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Short Bus said:
Fixed it for you. I melted one of my housings with a 50w halogen bulb. DON'T DO IT!!!

Ahaha !!!! Nice :thumbup:

Good thing my 100w bulbs on the high beams hasn't melted anything yet...honestly i think there more in the range of 75w.

As for the hid fogs maybe if i purchase higher quility hid kit instead of the xentec hid kit i might see a difference..in output ? Well i have plenty of replacement bulbs hid 880 pair of 6000k pair of 5000k pair of 7000k. Only one set is 30$ bulbs and there 5000k but don't look like 5000k output.
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
Your 100w bulbs should be OK for the larger headlight housing, but might melt the wiring harness.
 

diablo2184

Member
Jan 25, 2015
67
i have read so many threads and still can't figure out which one to do.

I want to be able to turn the High beams on without losing the Lows. Or if i am driving with Lows and Fogs on, I would like for the them to all stay on.

I do not want the lows and fogs on ALL the time. I would like to be able to control them separately. From the first post in this thread, the mod seems like it turns on all 6 lights when the Highs are activated. Am i correct?
 

fletch09

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,982
diablo2184 said:
i have read so many threads and still can't figure out which one to do.

I want to be able to turn the High beams on without losing the Lows. Or if i am driving with Lows and Fogs on, I would like for the them to all stay on.

I do not want the lows and fogs on ALL the time. I would like to be able to control them separately. From the first post in this thread, the mod seems like it turns on all 6 lights when the Highs are activated. Am i correct?

From the first post in this thread, the mod seems like it turns on all 6 lights when the Highs are activated. Am i correct?


Correct.
 

diablo2184

Member
Jan 25, 2015
67
ok, so what do i need to do where when i flash-to-pass or turn on the highs, only the highs come on?

i want to be able to be driving:
-driving with no lights on and flash highs, only highs come on.
-with lows on and turn on or flash highs and all 4 stay on.
-with lows and fogs on, and flash or turn on highs, all 6 stay on.
 

Mounce

Member
Mar 29, 2014
13,667
Tuscaloosa, AL
That'll take some customizing if you want just the highs to come on, as it is, drl is low beam so they're always on. When you use flash to pass, low beams stay on and highs come on, it's that way from the factory. The current most prevalent mods are 6-hi and 4-hi where that anytime the high beams are on everything else is on.
 

diablo2184

Member
Jan 25, 2015
67
the reason why is with HIDs, if i flash with no lights on, the high and lows come on. just trying to preserve the life of the ballasts and bulbs. no biggie.....

but what about the fogs and highs? if i do the 4-Hi mod, will i be able to run the fogs with lows and highs if i want? i don't mind the 4 beam flash, but i don't want the fogs to come on if i flash to pass but i would like to be able to run all 6 lights on a dark road or trip.
 

Daniel644

Member
Feb 27, 2015
583
diablo2184 said:
the reason why is with HIDs, if i flash with no lights on, the high and lows come on. just trying to preserve the life of the ballasts and bulbs. no biggie.....

but what about the fogs and highs? if i do the 4-Hi mod, will i be able to run the fogs with lows and highs if i want? i don't mind the 4 beam flash, but i don't want the fogs to come on if i flash to pass but i would like to be able to run all 6 lights on a dark road or trip.
well unless you've already done the Relay mod DRL Killer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNo9RxyUXdw

in which case there is no need to do this mod as you have done it with the relay, then you don't want to stick HID's in the stock housings anyways because the DRL's will fry your ballasts faster then the once in a while flash to pass flashing.
 

Sib

Member
Sep 6, 2014
3,446
Daniel644 said:
well unless you've already done the Relay mod DRL Killer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNo9RxyUXdw

in which case there is no need to do this mod as you have done it with the relay, then you don't want to stick HID's in the stock housings anyways because the DRL's will fry your ballasts faster then the once in a while flash to pass flashing.
Unless you do the cap mod which makes your DRLs run at 100% power at all times. I chose to do the cap mod instead of killing the DRLs so I can still have my DRLs. If I don't want them on during sunny days, I turn them off. Just got to radio shack and get a 10uf/35v capacitor and splice the positive end to your low beams and the negative to the ground.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,444
Posts
639,445
Members
18,668
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online