Cheap Quads & Fogs

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
diablo2184 said:
the reason why is with HIDs, if i flash with no lights on, the high and lows come on. just trying to preserve the life of the ballasts and bulbs. no biggie.....

but what about the fogs and highs? if i do the 4-Hi mod, will i be able to run the fogs with lows and highs if i want? i don't mind the 4 beam flash, but i don't want the fogs to come on if i flash to pass but i would like to be able to run all 6 lights on a dark road or trip.
4 hi mod only gives you the low beams and hi beams at the same time. The fogs will go off when you turn the hi beams on, but flash to pass will only be low beams and hi beams. The only way to keep the fog lights on when the hi beams are on is to do the 6 hi mod. When you do the flash to pass, all 6 lights will come on. Take your pick, do you want all six lights on when the hi beams are on or do you want only low/hi on, but you still retain control over your fogs other than when the hi beams are on.

Cap mod is the easy way. Just use the headlight selector switch to turn the headlights off during the day. Been doing it for 7 years, no big deal. DRLs WITHOUT the capacitor mod will ruin the electrodes inside of the HID bulb before ruining the ballasts unless you are running EBay garbage. Your bulb will go through an extreme Kelvin shift and eventually die from only receiving 70% power. Experienced that the hard way. Let the wife borrow the TB and went on a 16 hour road trip and did not use the selector switch to turn off the headlights during the day. HIDs left at 4300k and returned 15000K which is a purple/pink color :no:

Reactions: Sib

diablo2184

Jan 25, 2015
ok but with 4-Hi mod, once the Highs are turned on, can i turn the fogs back on as well?

i want to/am going to get rid of DRLs and Auto Headlights completely. I dont want those features at all.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
diablo2184 said:
ok but with 4-Hi mod, once the Highs are turned on, can i turn the fogs back on as well?

i want to/am going to get rid of DRLs and Auto Headlights completely. I dont want those features at all.
With the 4 hi mod, the fogs will go off when you turn the hi beams on. You cannot use the switch to turn the fogs on once the hi beams are on.

Likewise with the 6 hi mod. Your low beams and fogs will always be on together. You will not be able to turn the fogs off. However, using the headlight selector switch, you can turn the low beams off and run just the fogs separately.

Do the DRL killer and that will get rid of auto lights. Many write ups on the topic.

Now that I think about it, May03LT built a custom relay for the 6 hi mod which still gave him control over the fogs. I think he had a youtube video on it.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am tracking thw diode mod. May did a different 6 hi mod. Made his own relay. Still retained control of fogs. He can turn them off or on whether the hi beams were on or not.

diablo2184

Jan 25, 2015
dmanns67 said:
With the 4 hi mod, the fogs will go off when you turn the hi beams on. You cannot use the switch to turn the fogs on once the hi beams are on.

Likewise with the 6 hi mod. Your low beams and fogs will always be on together. You will not be able to turn the fogs off. However, using the headlight selector switch, you can turn the low beams off and run just the fogs separately.

Do the DRL killer and that will get rid of auto lights. Many write ups on the topic.

Now that I think about it, May03LT built a custom relay for the 6 hi mod which still gave him control over the fogs. I think he had a youtube video on it.
thanks, i bought the relay and made a relay harness. i will attempt to do the DRL killer mod, if time permits this weekend.

I will search for May's 6 Hi Mod and see what he did. thanks.

diablo2184

Jan 25, 2015
so for clarification.....this mod will enable quad highs AND get rid of DRL and AHL?

Found on TBSSOwners

fbbdfbfe.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have the Jetttstream DRL killer, but mine retained AHL, which I wanted. I believe there were 2 ways to wire it up, I did this mod 6 years ago, so I don't remember how it's hooked up, so the diagram you have MAY disable the auto feature as well.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
Sib said:
Unless you do the cap mod which makes your DRLs run at 100% power at all times. I chose to do the cap mod instead of killing the DRLs so I can still have my DRLs. If I don't want them on during sunny days, I turn them off. Just got to radio shack and get a 10uf/35v capacitor and splice the positive end to your low beams and the negative to the ground.
What about the DRL's kicking off when you put it in park during the day? I noticed this the other day anytime you shift into park when the AHL hasn't kicked the lights on the DRL's shutoff then come back on when you shift out of park. I have to go thru that cycle twice each day (once to open the gate and after I drive thru, close the gate) on my way to work, then when I get to work I have to stop at the top of the drive, get the mail (which involves getting out of the car and crossing the 1.5 lane dirt road in a blind curve, hence the reason for not pulling up to the mailbox) then go to the office, so my DRL's would cycle 3 times (2 of the times the lights would be on and off for less then a minute) just in my drive to work and my understanding is your not supposed to cycle the ballasts that frequently (unless you get some like Morimoto 3Five ballasts). Just seams like the relay mod would be the better way if going with HID bulbs. I've done this diode mod myself as I haven't planned to do HID's because I don't know how bad the light scatter/blinding oncoming traffic is on these trucks, I know it's pretty bad on the 03-06 silverados (from what I've seen around town).

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
What about the DRL's kicking off when you put it in park during the day? ....
I realize this was 7 months ago, but unless it's a hill, you could put it in neutral and set the parking brake. That would leave your DRLs on.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I realize this was 7 months ago, but unless it's a hill, you could put it in neutral and set the parking brake. That would leave your DRLs on.

it's almost always a hill, with the exception of parking lots in town EVERYWHERE else (work and home) are sloping drive ways. but I've moved since that post so one location where that was an issue is gone. but it did make me think, is there anyway to disable the DRL's without losing the Automatic Headlights? This is really just a curiosity at this point, I recently converted to the Phillips 9011/9012 bulbs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
is there anyway to disable the DRL's without losing the Automatic Headlights?

The Jetttstream DRL killer has this functionality. I've been running it on my truck for many years now.

Edit: Here's an alternate page from his instructions, you can do this with a standard 4 or 5 pin relay, just pay attention to the pin assignments in the boxes on the bottom.

JetttstreamDRLKillerwithAHL_zpsa6db1677.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel644

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
it's almost always a hill, with the exception of parking lots in town EVERYWHERE else (work and home) are sloping drive ways. but I've moved since that post so one location where that was an issue is gone. but it did make me think, is there anyway to disable the DRL's without losing the Automatic Headlights? This is really just a curiosity at this point, I recently converted to the Phillips 9011/9012 bulbs.

OK - yes, there is an easy way to run the DRL killer AND have auto lamps. I haven't gone back to read this thread again, but I was thinking you wanted it to keep your lights on while you put it into park to open/close the gate. To keep it on like that, just use the DRL Killer. It will keep your auto lights and when you need to keep them on for a few minutes (if you know you'll be coming up to that spot, ie the gate), throw something over the sensor. I have a dash cloth in my armrest I use. About 10 seconds and the lights will be on, park or not.

Here's the link to the DRL killer. Just a Bosch style relay. It's also got the instructions if you want to add the Quad hi beams. Just the first post in that thread. Other posts talk about the capacitor mod, the 4/6 hi beams, etc. I've added the quad hi beam mod with a switch so I can easily kill it. Moving next year and will have to get DMV inspection to register in new state.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/drl-killer-quad-hi-beams-idiots-guide.6724/

Last edited:

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
OK - yes, there is an easy way to run the DRL killer AND have auto lamps. I haven't gone back to read this thread again, but I was thinking you wanted it to keep your lights on while you put it into park to open/close the gate. To keep it on like that, just use the DRL Killer. It will keep your auto lights and when you need to keep them on for a few minutes (if you know you'll be coming up to that spot, ie the gate), throw something over the sensor. I have a dash cloth in my armrest I use. About 10 seconds and the lights will be on, park or not.

Here's the link to the DRL killer. Just a Bosch style relay. It's also got the instructions if you want to add the Quad hi beams. Just the first post in that thread. Other posts talk about the capacitor mod, the 4/6 hi beams, etc. I've added the quad hi beam mod with a switch so I can easily kill it. Moving next year and will have to get DMV inspection to register in new state.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/drl-killer-quad-hi-beams-idiots-guide.6724/

ideally I would rather kill the DRL's then run them all the time, i've already done the diode mod for the quad hi beams (something chevy should have done from the start, if you ask me), the relay mod looks simple enough and I've got all the taps and connectors and probably the spare wiring, hell I might even have a relay around here too, if the one in this crappy relay harness will work.

Attachments

• 1106150301.jpg
    1106150301.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Yup - the relay mod kills the DRLs, so you turn on the lights by either the sensor or the dash switch. BTW, you also lose the headlights as perimeter lighting when you kill the DRLs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online