Capote's Build Thread - "BatBlazer"

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Not loading, my data is uber slow right now, but I saw it on google, too dark IMO

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You still running the aluminum calipers? I think oem is aluminum.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
littleblazer said:
You still running the aluminum calipers? I think oem is aluminum.
OE calipers, yes. What're the Callahan and Brake motive ones that come powder coated red?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Capote said:
OE calipers, yes. What're the Callahan and Brake motive ones that come powder coated red?
Steel is better, less flex. I'd imagine after market is steel like the ext brakes. Edit: SS may be steel, not sure on ext.

I was thinking, and don't know if it's possible, but you could clean up the metal and get it to that brushed look like those rims you posted up, that would match nice. If you go that route.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
littleblazer said:
Steel is better, less flex. I'd imagine after market is steel like the ext brakes. Edit: SS may be steel, not sure on ext.

I was thinking, and don't know if it's possible, but you could clean up the metal and get it to that brushed look like those rims you posted up, that would match nice. If you go that route.
I'd have to repaint these ones, I was also thinking a polished look. Can't go wrong with that. Maybe add a bowtie somehow?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Capote said:
I'd have to repaint these ones, I was also thinking a polished look. Can't go wrong with that. Maybe add a bowtie somehow?
Etch it in with a dremel and accent it red?

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't remove my calipers from the brake lines when I paint them, unbolt them, sit them on bucket and paint them that way

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Capote said:
I don't remove my calipers from the brake lines when I paint them, unbolt them, sit them on bucket and paint them that way
? Extension cord? I'm really confused.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
littleblazer said:
? Extension cord? I'm really confused.
I'm saying I don't remove the caliper completely. I don't have a long enough extension cord lol. I wouldn't sit outside anyway to etch anything. Plus I would mess it up I bet

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Capote said:
I'm saying I don't remove the caliper completely. I don't have a long enough extension cord lol. I wouldn't sit outside anyway to etch anything. Plus I would mess it up I bet
Kinda what I thought. It's all straight lines. Have Brandon make a chevy die inverted and then use a dremel to to do it. Or just get decals...

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
littleblazer said:
Kinda what I thought. It's all straight lines. Have Brandon make a chevy die inverted and then use a dremel to to do it. Or just get decals...
Would probably go the tiny decal route, paint over it and then remove it, revealing the color

Reactions: littleblazer

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
02-12 September 2015:

Sorry for the wait peeps!!

Holy crap its sucked not having WiFi, I'm at the laundrymat and will now update, woohoo

Added 2 more layers of heat wrap, making a total of 4. Intake temps run 10-15° cooler on average
IMG_20150902_191345.jpg

Painted console lid with Duplicolor Vinyl & fabric in prep for center console:
IMG_20150903_184855.jpg

Removed center console, its sickening how previous owners let vehicles go to crap or get disgusting. Look at all the crap behind the shifter, and how gunky everything is. After I removed the center console I spent a good hour cleaning the carpet under where the console sits and all the plastic parts as well, followed by a vacumming:
IMG_20150904_133652.jpg

A closer look:
IMG_20150904_133644.jpg

A female chain smoker who's a slob is the culprit I'm sure of it:
IMG_20150904_133840.jpg

Center console ready for cleaning and disassembly:
IMG_20150904_133947.jpg

My kitchen only functions as a workshop:
IMG_20150904_135958.jpg

Fixed the divot in the console lid, stiff cardboard, it actually held up:
IMG_20150904_163948.jpg

Center console, first layer of Satin Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric:
IMG_20150904_170510.jpg

Last layer:
IMG_20150904_174434.jpg
IMG_20150904_183027.jpg

In the rig:
IMG_20150905_165633.jpg
IMG_20150905_173356.jpg

Washer tank removal:
IMG_20150907_144111.jpg
IMG_20150907_145017.jpgIMG_20150907_151704.jpg

Much cleaner look under the hood and make the intake pop out more without that ugly tank:
IMG_20150907_152423.jpg

Made a custom bracket to hold up the intake and keep it from bouncing:
IMG_20150907_160210.jpg
IMG_20150907_160214.jpg

Overall look, after all the work was complete I cleaned as much as the engine bay as i could for an hour with degreaser and a toothbrush:
IMG_20150907_162302.jpgIMG_20150907_162329.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention I put a new CPAS in after all this, idles a lot better now. I also added all those blue washers and chrome bolts from SickSpeed for some dress up

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
Good Work Brother!!
Thanks bud, means a lot coming from yourself [emoji4]

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
SnowBlazer said:
Man, that shit looks nice as fuck. How'd the car show go?
Thanks buddy, put a lot of work in recently. The car show was fun, just not as big a turnout because of the rain. Mostly modern muscle and import tuners were there. I was bummed down at first since nobody was checking my TB out. But the first guy that walked up with his son was impressed with everything I did. He thought it was an SS at first until I explained not-so. Then after that I popped up my hood, put my lights and strobes on, that grabbed people's attention. Pretty much got asked if it was an SS for every person's first question that took a look at my rig, even the judges. Looking forward to getting a chance to do another one.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
dmanns67 said:
You could definitely use some RedLine Tuning hood struts. Get rid of the ugly prop :yes:

Awesome work though. You have completed a ton of mods since getting home.
Yes I too hate the hood prop, so old school nowadays it seems. I would love a pair of those, would further improve the look when the hood is up.

Thanks David I sure have. A lot more will get done after I come back after this next rotation to Germany, 3 months this time. The biggest mod after returning will be a full dip, just satin or black with glossifier to give it a semi-gloss look. I think it will vastly improve the overall appearance. Might have those guys do a batman emblem somewhere, not 100â„…

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had a TB with both and the struts sucked. two things to be in the way and did not lift as high. They definitely went with the one i sold.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
HARDTRAILZ said:
I had a TB with both and the struts sucked. two things to be in the way and did not lift as high. They definitely went with the one i sold.
Hmm I'll take that into consideration Kyle, thanks [emoji106]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the prop...you can use something else to prop up the hood if it is in your way in the front of the motor really easy, but you can't move the struts when they are in your way working from either side.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
HARDTRAILZ said:
I like the prop...you can use something else to prop up the hood if it is in your way in the front of the motor really easy, but you can't move the struts when they are in your way working from either side.
Prop has never gotten in the way, even when me and Brandon changed out my lifters and cleaned everything under there. How much lower do those struts hold up the hood? Because the prop keeps it at a perfect angle, especially with my rig being so low

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Prolly depends on exactly where you mount them really. Mine were installed when I got it. I had always wanted them until i got that truck with them and now I would not spend the money on them.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Well for now its not really a mod that I'm real antsy about doing, there's other mods on my mind. I'll probably forget about the struts anyway lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know when JimmyJam put those on his 02TB, he didn't like the height the hood was held at either. So he moved the struts further back so they held the hood higher up, and they were less in the way when needing side access.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Why did Redline Tuning have the mounting location for their struts in such a location as to have a bad hood angle? Lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It was probably setup that way for some ideal amount of lift strength, vs ease of closing the hood. That's my guess. I would assume the further back they are mounted, sure the hood is higher, but there will be more upward force when you try to close the hood. Depending on height and strength, that can become a factor for some. :undecided:

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
It was probably setup that way for some ideal amount of lift strength, vs ease of closing the hood. That's my guess. I would assume the further back they are mounted, sure the hood is higher, but there will be more upward force when you try to close the hood. Depending on height and strength, that can become a factor for some. :undecided:
Ahh that makes sense

Carlton, I wanna do under hood lighting like yourself, but not the same setup. Did you use a tilt switch?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Capote said:
Carlton, I wanna do under hood lighting like yourself, but not the same setup. Did you use a tilt switch?
Yeah, tilt switch tied to a relay, since the current rating of the switch was lower than what the LED strip was gonna pull. A little more research and searching, and I could have found a higher rated one, or if I used less LEDs (why on earth would I do that :no:)

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, tilt switch tied to a relay, since the current rating of the switch was lower than what the LED strip was gonna pull. A little more research and searching, and I could have found a higher rated one, or if I used less LEDs (why on earth would I do that :no:)
I have no idea how I wanna go about it, I want it to look as clean as possible and not have the strips be so obvious

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: So instead of on the underside of the hood, have the light down inside the engine bay... I can dig it.

At a couple of car shows we've been to, I saw some rides done up like that. Have the strips on the sides of things, and the light reflects off other parts, so you don't see the LEDs directly. Makes it easier to hide wiring, since it can run on the underside of stuff. As long as they aren't too close to a heat source, they should be OK.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: So instead of on the underside of the hood, have the light down inside the engine bay... I can dig it.

At a couple of car shows we've been to, I saw some rides done up like that. Have the strips on the sides of things, and the light reflects off other parts, so you don't see the LEDs directly. Makes it easier to hide wiring, since it can run on the underside of stuff. As long as they aren't too close to a heat source, they should be OK.
Well I do prefer the under hold way man, I just don't know how I'd hide things. Maybe some aesthetic strips of green down in the bay too, but that'd just be for looks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If I had to do mine again (which I plan to at some point) I will put the strip all the way at the top, on the lip, instead of where I did a few inches down. Since the lip has that inward curve to it, the strip would be less visible and shine a little bit backwards, towards the firewall.

Where I've got mine positioned, the light shines straight down and maybe a little bit forward, but due to the viewing angle of the LEDs, you can see them clearly from a distance away when the hood is up.

Reactions: Mounce and Capote

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Perhaps I'll put then on the lip then man since it'll angle things downwards

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
14 September 2015:

Installed Gauge Pillar to see how everything looks. Doesnt fit just right, but its still snug. Drilled it into the A-pillar. Top gauge is Trans Temp, middle is Water, that 3rd empty spot is where I'm moving the RPM gauge too. Not wired up yet, just have all the wiring organized. have to wait to hook up the Water Temp and might do the Trans Temp before I leave. Will move RPM's sometime this week.

uploadfromtaptalk1442324077357.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442324754793.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442325057950.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442325397566.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Looks like the crap Lotek pod. But we have no choice since nobody else makes a pod. I bought that pod, hacked it up, fiberglassed it to my OEM A Pillar, bondo'd, sanded, primered, and painted. So now I have an OEM A pillar gauge pod. No overlay or replacement.
20140527_164931_zpssqc9p99r.jpg

Gotta love gauges! :rotfl:

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Boricua SS said:
Looks like the crap Lotek pod. But we have no choice since nobody else makes a pod. I bought that pod, hacked it up, fiberglassed it to my OEM A Pillar, bondo'd, sanded, primered, and painted. So now I have an OEM A pillar gauge pod. No overlay or replacement.
20140527_164931_zpssqc9p99r.jpg

Gotta love gauges! :rotfl:
Oooo I like that bud. But it fits, just a gap on top. I'm satisfied lol

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
SnowBlazer said:
Just spray foam insulate it!
Hell no, need a gap for the wires

Forum Statistics