Can I buy....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Rotor shields? I'm making a list of things that I want/need to do to Phantom before the first big snow of the year hits. My current rotor shields are rusted to crap, with some rusted out holes(small). I am replacing the rotors all around, and wanted to replace the shields as well. If so, where can I buy them, and what is the appropriate/technical name for them?

Thanks!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
Don't need those dumb shields. Just remove them.

Thanks Jeff!!! I wasn't sure of the importance of them.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Besides adding weight, what are they supposed to do/not do anyways?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They catch rocks and make for annoying sounds.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
Besides adding weight, what are they supposed to do/not do anyways?

They are there so when they get bent u have to take it in because u think something terrible is wrong. Those sheilds suck and are annoying.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I would think they would come in handy to deflect some splashing which could slow a warp for hot brakes, or keep slush off the disk. (after a little research, more likely they are there to protect other components from Brake heat.)

also, if I saw right, to change the rear ones, you have to pull the axle, which means opening the rear diff and pulling a bolt or pin of some kind.

you can get the front ones from Rock Auto,

ACDELCO Part # 15753011
ACDELCO Part # 15753012

like $15 each plus shipping.

they have the rear ones too, but those are more like $60 each

I just sprayed mine with some rust converter (after masking the working parts) after a bit of a wire brush

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
jrSS said:
They are there so when they get bent u have to take it in because u think something terrible is wrong. Those sheilds suck and are annoying.

In PA if you don't have them or they are falling apart, you could fail inspection. I checked the latest book and it isn't in there but that would be a mechanic discretion kind of thing.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Don't take this personal but....id have to tell u to kiss my ass!! Lol. But seriously do u think an inspector will actually beable to see if they are on or off?? Inspections don't happen here in indiana. THANK GOD!!!!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
McGMT said:
In PA if you don't have them or they are falling apart, you could fail inspection. I checked the latest book and it isn't in there but that would be a mechanic discretion kind of thing.
I
How would they know they were missing? I had disc brake cars that did not come w them...

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
jrSS said:
Don't take this personal but....id have to tell u to kiss my ass!! Lol. But seriously do u think an inspector will actually beable to see if they are on or off?? Inspections don't happen here in indiana. THANK GOD!!!!

Thank God they don't do inspections here in Michigan either.

If you're really worried about passing inspection through, I'd cut them off clean so it looks like they don't belong. The rust rotted ones only draw unnecessary attention... :tongue:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Wishbone said:
Thank God they don't do inspections here in Michigan either.

If you're really worried about passing inspection through, I'd cut them off clean so it looks like they don't belong. The rust rotted ones only draw unnecessary attention... :tongue:

No need to cut em off. Take them off. Easy job to do.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
jrSS said:

haha yea, no kidding. If that happens you just go down the street to someone else. Hell most of the safety mechs around here just look under for a cat and fill out the sticker... I wouldn't fail over a shield.. And most times I find a fail issue that is big like brakes or something I just tell them whats up, and once they fix it I throw on a sticker, no double charging and crap like some do.

Feb 24, 2012
Technically they are splash shields - a safety item designed to protect the rotor from a wave of water making you lose your brakes. In reality it's hard to spray that much water on a spinning rotor, but it's possible. Personally I would leave them intact, or replace them if they are that bad, but that's just me I guess. I don't think you would have any problem without them, but I wouldn't want to be the one who recommended it...

When I first saw your post I thought you meant brake dust shields, an aftermarket addon to stop the wheels from getting dirty so quickly, like this:
Vehicle Manager

edit - I just saw the one post in the middle that actually answered the question. Sorry I missed it.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I'm thinking that because they only shield the back side of the rotors the concern might be for oil,grease even coolant spraying out from the mechanicals and onto the rotors thereby turning you and your ride into a 4,500# projectile.
I have removed them from other vehicles in the past with no ill effects but,it seems pretty cheap&easy to replace them ....Mike.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
northcreek said:
I'm thinking that because they only shield the back side of the rotors the concern might be for oil,grease even coolant spraying out from the mechanicals and onto the rotors thereby turning you and your ride into a 4,500# projectile.
I have removed them from other vehicles in the past with no ill effects but,it seems pretty cheap&easy to replace them ....Mike.

Agree... They are there for a reason really... They keep garbage and such from getting in there and causing problems and some are designed to guide airflow and cool the system.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Or in my case they trap rocks n mud and caused reduced braking on trails with 1000+ foot dropoffs...

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Or in my case they trap rocks n mud and caused reduced braking on trails with 1000+ foot dropoffs...

Well yea, that too! lol For those of you who use them like Jeeps... :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I can agree and understand BOTH sides of why they may or may not be useful/needed, and why or why they wouldn't be worth replacing. I think in this case it is merely a personal preference. With that being said, I will take them off and see how the truck does without them compared to with them. We don't have inspections here either, so I wouldn't be causing myself any harm.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
jrSS said:

Don't ever move to Maine lol. Their inspections are very picky. They check everything, there is over 100 things that they are supposed to check when doing an inspection. they check tie rods, ball joints, CV's, exhaust, dash for "stupid lights" windshield wipers even making sure the washer fluid works. Just a lot of stupid stuff. I told Tami that half the cars in Iowa wouldn't be on the road in Maine

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Phantom said:
Don't ever move to Maine lol. Their inspections are very picky. They check everything, there is over 100 things that they are supposed to check when doing an inspection. they check tie rods, ball joints, CV's, exhaust, dash for "stupid lights" windshield wipers even making sure the washer fluid works. Just a lot of stupid stuff. I told Tami that half the cars in Iowa wouldn't be on the road in Maine

That is how it is supposed to be here. All the way down to checking the play in the balljoints with a dial... I don't know anyone who actually does though. All the way to failing a car if there is anything attached to the inside rearview...

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have a set of front plates around here somewhere that are not being used if you are that desperate. Seriously though, just remove them, they are a huge pain in the ass! The rears do need to be cut off unless you feel like opening the rear end, removing the clip and pulling the axles.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Regulator said:
I have a set of front plates around here somewhere that are not being used if you are that desperate. Seriously though, just remove them, they are a huge pain in the ass! The rears do need to be cut off unless you feel like opening the rear end, removing the clip and pulling the axles.

Thanks Matt, But hubby and I decided to just remove them. If at any point we for some reason need them, their pretty cheap to replace. They are so incredibly rusted out, we could just take tin cutters and break them off.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
Thanks Matt, But hubby and I decided to just remove them. If at any point we for some reason need them, their pretty cheap to replace. They are so incredibly rusted out, we could just take tin cutters and break them off.

Wear gloves! I chose not to and paid for it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Regulator said:
Wear gloves! I chose not to and paid for it.

Thanks for the heads up!! I probably would have came back here without a finger or two :tongue:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I still have mine. Well, all 2/3 of mine anyway lol :biggrin: They don't bother me enough to bother taking them off as I only really notice them when taking the rotors off. Since my brakes were new 20k ago (and I don't inspect my rotor vanes for dirt the way the GM dude does in that brake inspection ad :tongue:) I have some time yet before I see them again. Which by then I suspect they'll only be half there at most :rotfl:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Phantom said:

It's even worse in Australia. No cracked windscreens, no rust AT ALL. They do a brake test and generally go over the car with a fine tooth comb. $35 or so now for the inspection and somewhere near $700 for rego and personal injury insurance (which you need before you register your car). :eek:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
It's even worse in Australia. No cracked windscreens, no rust AT ALL.

The heck? I guess they don't have snow and salt issues there, but surely vehicles start to rust eventually. That's ridiculous...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
The heck? I guess they don't have snow and salt issues there, but surely vehicles start to rust eventually. That's ridiculous...

Yep, seriously. We've got salt issues living on the coast with the salt air. It's either fix it or crush it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online