caliper banjo bolt/washer et al

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Hello to all.

I have 2002 Envoy Slt (236000KM)and i have replaced the front rotors and callipers and run into a problem with the drivers side calliper. The issue here is the calliper was a remanufactured one and a Heli coil was used for the thread on the hose to calliper connection and it failed( or I helped it)

The connection was never good and I was getting brake fluid seeping, in an effort to stop the leak i (honestly) gingerly tighten the bolt to torgue specs which resulted in the bolt just being loose with more loss of fluid. I am now faced with the task of redoing the heli coil, which will have to be bigger because the hole in the calliper has no more threads and they will have to be re-tapped. Has anyone used other products other than heli coil for this problem and could they share what they have learnt?

Where do you get the copper washers for the brake lines, the washers that came with the callipers are very thick by comparison and are not copper. The dealer does not have them or even sell them. These washers kind of remind me of the washers that are used on the banjo bolts for the Volvo turbos.....maybe that is a source!

Lastly, I had decided to put the bigger rotors and matching callipers on the fronts, was this a mistake, should i have stayed with the standard rotor and calliper size for this model . There does not appear to be any ill effects in the fitting , except for the little overlap of the rotor when compared to the dust shield, where the rotor is 1/4 " ( about) larger than the dust shield.

tailor

ddgm

May 7, 2013
I would just replace the caliper. Heli-coils have their uses, but in my opinion not with pressurized fluids.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
:iagree: go to the junk yard, get a caliper cheap. I would not trust a helicoil to fully seal, and am very surprised someone would sell a reman'ed caliper that had to be "repaired" like that!

and btw the washers are called crush washers, autoparts stores should have them.
RockAuto Parts Catalog

the bigger rotors/caliper brackets aren't the problem, the problem is that stripped out caliper should have been junked, not rebuilt!

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I will try get another calliper from the supplier .

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which remanufacturer did that caliper come from? (My guess, Crappy Tire) If they used a Helicoil to repair it, I would steer clear of them as this is definitely not the way to do it. They should have junked it.

I hope you didn't swap the calipers because you upgraded to the EXT brackets and rotors. Both the SWB and EXT use the same calipers.
http://gmtnation.com/f78/installed-big-brakes-6805/

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Mooseman,

Thanks for your thoughts, it was a strange turn of events that lead to the larger rotors and calipers. The originals were shot and I gave all the details of the vehicle prior to purchasing these item.
Well they gave me the bigger rotors and one side with a caliper that fit and the other that didn't. As I had already put on the one rotor and caliper( larger)( my bad as I should have compared prior to fitting) it seemed to make sense to get the larger ( bracket) caliper to have a matching pair.

The calipers are Cardine, I am in the process of contacting them to see how far I get.

The joys of home wrenching?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hope they honour the warranty, especially with this Helicoil thing. You going to where you bought it or to the retailer?

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Mooseman said:
Hope they honour the warranty, especially with this Helicoil thing. You going to where you bought it or to the retailer?

I have a friend in the business..... hope it doesn't kill the friendship.
Any good ideas to plug the brake line while I wait for a new calliper?
I have just ' rubber gloved and bagged' for the moment.

tailor

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe a regular bolt, nut and a couple of rubber washers? Of course this won't allow you to drive it and I would recommend that you flush it as moisture likely got in.

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Mooseman said:
Maybe a regular bolt, nut and a couple of rubber washers? Of course this won't allow you to drive it and I would recommend that you flush it as moisture likely got in.

Thanks, i have a job ahead as one of the rear bleed nipples is stuck fast, so once I replace that a good flush after the front calliper is done.

Wish we had help a neighbor on the site, like they do at Matthews Volvo site, would take some of the sting out wrenching alone!

Mods......is that something you would entertain?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mods? You mean like efans, LEDs, quad headlights with always on fogs, Nav HU hooked up to the factory Bose, rear A/C delete, removed rack and soon a JBA Headers exhaust, mirror turn signals and dimming side mirror? Also have a idea for heated seats, brighter high beams and looking at an Android HU. Mods is a bug you catch coming here :biggrin:

tailor

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Just an update , supplier swapped out faulty caliper, all is good on that front. Thanks to all who contributed advice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online