Bun warmers problem

BINGA

Original poster
Member
Jun 8, 2012
238
So I've been dealing with this problem since i've owned the vehicle and figured I'd ask and see if anyone's had the same problem and might be able to offer a solution. My passenger side seat heater works fine and heats both the back and the seat, but my drivers' side only heats the back. Not super concerned right now seeing as its mid-june, but i'm on a project tackling streak and figured why not. Anybody had this issue and found the solution?
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Seat heated grid pads that get sat upon a lot can crack and break. There are aftermarket replacements. I don't think anybody has posted about it here, but searching trailvoy would be fruitful, I know.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
I guess your buttons are like mine? One for the seat and seat back, and one for the seat back only. You are pressing the correct button right? I only ask because my wife always thought the seat back only button was the power and the other button controlled the heat setting. I notice my passengers usually think the same thing. Maybe the heating element is unplugged or broken?
 

BINGA

Original poster
Member
Jun 8, 2012
238
Denali n DOO said:
I guess your buttons are like mine? One for the seat and seat back, and one for the seat back only. You are pressing the correct button right? I only ask because my wife always thought the seat back only button was the power and the other button controlled the heat setting. I notice my passengers usually think the same thing. Maybe the heating element is unplugged or broken?

:biggrin: Only fair to start with the most obvious of solutions, as those are the ones overlooked most often. I can dig it. Yeah, i'm using the button for both. I suppose the only way to know for sure if the element is broken is to take out the seat, dismantle it, and inspect it right? Hmm...not sure if I feel like tackling that one until the temperature drops again. Although...i have been intrigued by vehicles with both heated AND ventilated seats...wonder how that project would rate on the difficulty scale... :undecided:

the roadie said:
Seat heated grid pads that get sat upon a lot can crack and break. There are aftermarket replacements. I don't think anybody has posted about it here, but searching trailvoy would be fruitful, I know.

Did you actually steer me to the OS? :eek: Just playin', i know there's still a wealth of knowledge there (if you can circumnavigate all the ads), if you got a minute, would you take a look at this and tell me what you think the cause may be? View attachment 21433

I noticed it when i went in for the TB cleaning. While at it, replaced all plugs, and all were fine...
 

Attachments

  • My TB Coil no 3.jpg
    My TB Coil no 3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 5

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Was there a lot of oil in that plug well?

It looks like you may need new rocker cover gaskets.
 

MAY03LT

Member
Nov 18, 2011
3,422
Delmarva
BINGA said:
I suppose the only way to know for sure if the element is broken is to take out the seat, dismantle it, and inspect it right?

Another way would be to unplug the element and, using a DMM, do a continuity test through it. I don't think I've tackled one in a 360 yet, but in nearly every other vehicle I can do it without removing the seat.
 
Dec 4, 2011
520
My passenger side seat heater (seat portion) wasn't working and of course the BOSS thinks this is the best option on the vehicle. I ordered two (one for when the drivers seat goes) from one of the GM parts places in the States for about 50.00 each. Took the seat out and dismantled the seat (you will need hog rings and pliers) replaced the pad and buttoned her up. No more complaints from Headquarters but of course it is summer.

A common problem is the wire burns out where it goes over the crevasses in the seats. Once it is burned the only thing you can do is replace.

here is the "How to on TV" New "How to fix the seat heater" thread. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

here is the part # [FONT=&amp]89042164[/FONT] I think but these seem to be a lot more than I paid. You can search around but you will need a new heater.

Try this site GMC Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Hope this helps.
 

BINGA

Original poster
Member
Jun 8, 2012
238
Wooluf1952 said:
Was there a lot of oil in that plug well?

It looks like you may need new rocker cover gaskets.

To my surprise, no. All looked in order and just like the other cylinders. No fouling, carbon deposits, nothing of note on any of the plugs. I wondered if the gasket surrounding the coil pack was damaged or unseated and not causing a good seal, but I even got the "suction sound" when removing the coil. :banghead:
 

BINGA

Original poster
Member
Jun 8, 2012
238
RedEnvoyDenali said:
My passenger side seat heater (seat portion) wasn't working and of course the BOSS thinks this is the best option on the vehicle. I ordered two (one for when the drivers seat goes) from one of the GM parts places in the States for about 50.00 each. Took the seat out and dismantled the seat (you will need hog rings and pliers) replaced the pad and buttoned her up. No more complaints from Headquarters but of course it is summer.

A common problem is the wire burns out where it goes over the crevasses in the seats. Once it is burned the only thing you can do is replace.

here is the "How to on TV" New "How to fix the seat heater" thread. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

here is the part # [FONT=&amp]89042164[/FONT] I think but these seem to be a lot more than I paid. You can search around but you will need a new heater.

Try this site GMC Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

Hope this helps.

That helped a lot! Man is it nice not only when someone else has the EXACT same problem, but also has done all the hard work of making a step by step tutorial for the next victim. That guys thread was incredibly detailed, I'm surprised that wasn't made into an Article. Thanks for posting that link for me, there goes another weekend project...sheesh, do they ever end??? :undecided:

Oh, and P.S. "the Warden's" seat heater on her side works just fine :biggrin:
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
BINGA said:
Did you actually steer me to the OS? :eek: Just playin', i know there's still a wealth of knowledge there (if you can circumnavigate all the ads),...
Since many of us HERE wrote the good stuff over THERE, and we haven't spent the time to copy it here, I often run searches there. Using Google with "site:trailvoy.com" at the end of the search phrase is a very useful trick.

If they shut trailvoy down without notice it would be a huge loss, but their greed won't allow them to do that when they continue to sucker noobs in due to the high search ranking that a million posts give them. Too bad there's nobody comptetent left there to be caretakers for the dusty archives.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,396
Posts
638,821
Members
18,610
Latest member
Amri

Members Online

No members online now.