Brake upgrade question

02blackenvoy

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
I know about doing the front brake upgrade, and plan to do it as soon as I can locate a ext in the junkyard. However, I was wondering something else, and I didn't see it asked before.

I remember hearing that GM changed the master cylinder and the booster after I think it was 06. Has anyone here tried using that setup on the 02-05? My buddies SS has a way better feel to the brakes than mine does. We both run 20" wheels, and mine, well, sometimes I pray I don't have to stop fast.

Thanks!

Reactions: Redbeard

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The SS has the bigger rotors and, IIRC, calipers.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Worn calipers, fluid and hoses are the main cause for the soft pedal. The ss uses steal calipers vs our aluminum ones iirc... less flex. Or I could be remembering wrong. But the envoy has a firm pedal with its lines, I assume they were replaced once. My tb has original lines and a mushy pedal. It stops the same but it's a lot easier to put to the floor in the tb.

As for the booster, I can't comment if it changed. I know the abs did so I guess it's possible.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The calipers are not bigger, just different material.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, my '06 9-7x has steel calipers and are way more firm. My '02 EXT, with the same larger brakes but aluminum calipers, are mushy. I thought it was a tired master cylinder, air in the lines or old fluid, nope. Just mushy.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I was't sure what the caliper difference was. I thought they had more pistons.
Are the SS calipers direct replacement?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH

It's my understanding that the only difference in the SS brakes is the bracket. It's thicker/thinner whichever. This due to the caliper being cast iron as opposed to aluminum. Have seen someone post before that the cast caliper won't fit the bracket for the aluminum caliper.

One worry I have about this swap, would be them not accepting the aluminum calipers as cores for the cast ones. You can get the regular V8 aluminum caliper setup though. Idk if anyone has had a problem getting stuck on the core charge doing the SS calipers. I think if you went with stainless hoses, and the aluminum V8 calipers it would still be a noticeable improvement...IMHO

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Should be but why would you want to? You can do the upgrade with your stock calipers and never bleed the brakes.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I was thinking more about SS calipers when/if calipers needed to be replaced.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Steel is stiffer than aluminum, giving a more solid feel.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online