Bose stereo gets HOT!! Also need AUX input help!

CReynoldsMIZ

Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Okay guys, got a few questions here. My truck is the 2002 GMC Envoy SLT with the BOSE stereo system with rear amp. Got a few questions need answered.

1st) The damn radio gets SCORCHING hot after riding around a while, usually notice on things like long trips. I will put my hand on the display of the radio or even the temperature display, and it will literally burn your hand after a couple seconds. So like when it gets real hot, if i put the back of my hand on the display, i can probably hold it on there for maybe 5 seconds, and then have to remove or it is just too much to handle. Im sure it wasnt designed like this, any ideas?

2nd) Is there any way to add an AUX input on this thing? From what I have read, there is not port or anything to do this, I think it only has the AM/FM button on the wheel, not the band button. I know there is an "AUX" setting on the stereo itself, but not on the wheel. I heard about a possible inline converter, but could not find anything pointing me in the right way as far as specifics.

Pertaining to my first issue, Im not sure if it matters, but I have a subwoofer in the back. Nothing big, just one 10" Square Infinity enclosed powered sub. It is wired for connections to the rear amp (for the preouts), and it is powered through the rear power post underneath the rear seat fusebox. I dont think this is relevant, just wanted to say that just incase.

The stereo sounds amazing, as well as the sub, and really have no complaints other than the lack of aux control. I have a radio transmitter, but it is kinda sketchy, and just want something clearer. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You can add an AUX by using a hard wired FM transmitter like this iSimple TranzIt IS77 - Universal Car Kit - iPod, iPhone, iPad, Audio Devices. Aside from mucking around with a radio out of a full-size truck or completely replacing the system with after market gear, that's about your only option. If your current radio transmitter is wireless then that's your problem and it should clear up A LOT with a wired one.

Sorry I can't help on the hot radio problem.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
my oem Bose runs pretty hot to the touch. has done so for over nine years.

I have the cassette/CD player/am/fm

there is not a way for the direct connection. you can get a cassette adapter if you have the cassette player, or use a converter to FM. the FM converter requires changing the freq to overlay a station frequency with low signal. kind of a pain for cross-country trips.

on the bright side, it can provide many hours of conversation between the driver and passengers on the proper sequence of tune, power on, play, change station......

CReynoldsMIZ

Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, my car doesnt have the cassette player, just the 6 disc cd player. Can anyone review the iSimple for me? How clear is it, like comparred to cds?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
a couple years ago I got one for my wife. not the same brand name, but similar. the sound quality in your ipod is not quite as good as the CD.

and you will loose some more fidelity in translation to FM. and gain a bit of noise.

best quality would be to make a couple CDs from itunes and load up before a trip.

there are also differences in what gets displayed on the BOSE display. depending on the model, you may or may not get the song title and artist to show up on the radio display.

We also had a compatability issue with a later replacement of the ipod with an ipod touch.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
CReynoldsMIZ said:
might be the same,. title says adapter, but the part number looks the same.

we had one you did not have to hook up to the input antenna jack. price was similar, around $50

you really did not state you wanted to hook up an Ianything. if you just want to use the headphone jack, it makes the discussion on display kind of a moot point.

CReynoldsMIZ

Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
yeah i understand that it wont be PERFECT, but I would like it to be at least worth the 50 bucks i would pay on it. My deal is that i like to use my phone, which has the spotify app, and it is so much easier than making cds all the time.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online