Best Replacement Battery Type

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Say, that looks suspiciously like a rebadged version of the one *I* use. And paid over $200 for. :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:
What do you mean a wet cell that's not vented? All wet cells have breathers of some sort.

The wet cell battery must be vented out side of the cabin of the truck. Not just vented out of the battery.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
smt 59 said:
Who pays $200 for a battery, my cool green interstate was $90 CDN. Installed. Are batteries in the US different? Lol

People who want AGM/Gel. Always see them advertised as "maintenance-free," meaning you never have to add water and all that, and a lot more suitable for offroad applications.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
smt 59 said:
Who pays $200 for a battery, my cool green interstate was $90 CDN. Installed. Are batteries in the US different? Lol

No, shitty interstate batteries are about the same state side. :thumbsup: Should of went to K-Mart.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
damn trolls. And to think I fed one. :hissyfit: hahahaa. You win. +1 internets for you Mike. Yeah thats a typo about the vents. Only AGM's are sealed and only vent if you overcharge them which if that happens your battery is toast if its AGM. I have seen plenty of morons out there who swear wet cells are just fine in the car. How they don't spark a fire or kill themselves from the gas is unknown to me.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
kickass audio said:
damn trolls. And to think I fed one. :hissyfit: hahahaa. You win. +1 internets for you Mike. Yeah thats a typo about the vents. Only AGM's are sealed and only vent if you overcharge them which if that happens your battery is toast if its AGM. I have seen plenty of morons out there who swear wet cells are just fine in the car. How they don't spark a fire or kill themselves from the gas is unknown to me.

Sorry broski, but if you had read the thread before posting your opinion piece you would of known that I run an AGM and was already arguing with these yo-yo's in the thread about their crappy walmart batteries not being the best.

See folks, read the whole thread before you open your mouth. :raspberry:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
kickass audio said:
How they don't spark a fire or kill themselves from the gas is unknown to me.

Dunno, but this one time as a kid I saw someone install a battery backwards in a 1988 Ford Taurus. THE SPARKS, MAN! THE SPARKS!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
nothing like the 4th of July under the hood. Fuses and relays and anything else blowing up. Nice show for the whole fam. lol.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
kickass audio said:

Just for the record, wet cells really are "just fine." Not anywhere near as good as AGMs, especially in anything considered a "heavy duty" application (winching, vibration, offroad, big audio, etc.), but they are perfectly acceptable in a regular car or SUV that only sees road duty with a stock-ish stereo. I've got Diehard Platinums in both the TB and my K2500HD, and I'll probably put one in the wife's Cruze, but in my '93 LeSabre beater... It's got a Duralast Gold in it...

Mike

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Don't vented wet cells emit hydrogen? Maintenance free wet cells might not unless they're overcharged and open up the burst vent. (I assume they all have burst vents).

That said, hydrogen itn't going to show up in a concentration that's going to make an explosive mixture around the headliner level, unless there's links I' missed with examples of car fires traced to hydrogen as a root cause.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
the roadie said:
Don't vented wet cells emit hydrogen? Maintenance free wet cells might not unless they're overcharged and open up the burst vent. (I assume they all have burst vents).

That said, hydrogen itn't going to show up in a concentration that's going to make an explosive mixture around the headliner level, unless there's links I' missed with examples of car fires traced to hydrogen as a root cause.

Vented wet cells do indeed emit hydrogen. Maintenance free ones such as cars have nowdays do, but not like ones such as deep cycle wet cell batteries you have to check the water level in.

On deep cycle batteries there IS enough hydrogen vented to cause an explosion, I have seen it firsthand and the damage is quite unreal. This is particularly the case in golf carts and other things that use packs of deep cycle batteries (electric forklifts, industrial floor buffers and sweepers, etc....). The pic below is a 36 volt system (6 6 volt batteries) that had ONE bad connection, possibly an internal short, in the batteries, which caused a spark that set off the hydrogen. The reason that they all blew up is that there was an autofill watering system connecting all the batteries. The force was enough to lift the seat up and knock the driver off the cart. This particular pic isn't mine, I borrowed it from a golf cart forum I'm on. Notice the fill caps are almost all blown off (they lock on by the way), and the sealed tops of the batteries are all blown apart.

View attachment 32430

Attachments

• explosion.jpg
    explosion.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 11

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I can totally understand the physics behind that sort of explosion, especially as connected by the tubing. Thanks for the details.

I think this sort of danger has mutated to "hydrogen gas will vent from your battery inside the cabin, rise to the headliner area, then a dome light spark is going to trigger the explosion". This is what I don't see as possible. I think the risk of acid splattering the passenger compartment in case of a single battery explosion is mitigated by a vented battery box like I use: (besides I use a deep cycle AGM in the vehicle for my fridge and LED lights)

View attachment 32431

Attachments

• 40790.jpg
    40790.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 10

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Haha I remember when my brother was running a excavator and a battery blew up got acid all over him and his shirt by next day was practically eaten away. He wore two long sleeves so it didn't huet him bit it was funny as ****.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
Vented wet cells do indeed emit hydrogen. Maintenance free ones such as cars have nowdays do, but not like ones such as deep cycle wet cell batteries you have to check the water level in.

On deep cycle batteries there IS enough hydrogen vented to cause an explosion, I have seen it firsthand and the damage is quite unreal. This is particularly the case in golf carts and other things that use packs of deep cycle batteries (electric forklifts, industrial floor buffers and sweepers, etc....). The pic below is a 36 volt system (6 6 volt batteries) that had ONE bad connection, possibly an internal short, in the batteries, which caused a spark that set off the hydrogen. The reason that they all blew up is that there was an autofill watering system connecting all the batteries. The force was enough to lift the seat up and knock the driver off the cart. This particular pic isn't mine, I borrowed it from a golf cart forum I'm on. Notice the fill caps are almost all blown off (they lock on by the way), and the sealed tops of the batteries are all blown apart.

Ejection seat!

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
The best battery is a used one you can get them for like $30 at a pick in pull. Pour in water and you're all set. Spend the cash on something else.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
get the 20 dollar ones with the slight cracks...don't hurt nothin anyway

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
You think these nuclear powered batteries will work on your truck OP ? There from mother Russia:biggrin:
ygupugu3.jpg

Aries

Oct 11, 2013
This thread is worthless without the Ukrainian Army..

Attachments

• ukrainianarmy.jpg
    ukrainianarmy.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 23

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
My drill sergeant would have a field day. Those three on the right in the second row are distinctly out of uniform.

There are STANDARDS here, folks!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Chickenhawk said:
My drill sergeant would have a field day. Those three on the right in the second row are distinctly out of uniform.

Better than a field day on a submarine - you get to clean literally EVERYTHING, as I understand it. Doesn't sound too fun.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Aries said:
This thread is worthless without the Ukrainian Army..

The man in green with the camera is a pervert

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Chickenhawk said:

I see at least 7 different shoe styles, about 4 different skirt types and hats worn at all angles.

But it was fun looking!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Better than a field day on a submarine - you get to clean literally EVERYTHING, as I understand it. Doesn't sound too fun.

On surface ships and shore stations, too.

Yes, you get to clean everything.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
C-ya said:
I see at least 7 different shoe styles, about 4 different skirt types and hats worn at all angles.

But it was fun looking!
They're wearing hats?

Hey ... yeah, you're right.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online