NEED HELP Bad sound after replacing VVT Selenoid

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Just changed the VVT selenoid and the serpentine belt I’m my 02 LT TB. Never had this sound before. Real bad clacking sound. Any ideas? Tried to post a video but it won’t work

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Take the Serpentine Belt OFF and Start the Engine at IDLE Very Briefly. If the Sound Disappears... then the Problem is somewhere on or about the Accessories Section (Serpentine Belt Tensioner, Idler Pulley under the Alternator... or The Alternator Bearings.

Or... it might involve the Water Pump Bearings (See if the Water Pump & Fan "Wobbles" by moving the Outer Fan Area and feeling what goes on. Same thing with ALL of the Pulleys...Try to Spin the Pulleys and Wiggle- Wobble them over their Bearings and listen for any 'Bearing Growl". Check that you properly Re-Tightened the Three Bolts holding the Power Steering Pump on...while the Serpentine Belt is OFF.

Let us know what you figure out.

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Just changed the VVT selenoid and the serpentine belt I’m my 02 LT TB. Never had this sound before. Real bad clacking sound. Any ideas? Tried to post a video but it won’t work
Take the Serpentine Belt OFF and Start the Engine at IDLE Very Briefly. If the Sound Disappears... then the Problem is somewhere on or about the Accessories Section (Serpentine Belt Tensioner, Idler Pulley under the Alternator... or The Alternator Bearings.

Or... it might involve the Water Pump Bearings (See if the Water Pump & Fan "Wobbles" by moving the Outer Fan Area and feeling what goes on. Same thing with ALL of the Pulleys...Try to Spin the Pulleys and Wiggle- Wobble them over their Bearings and listen for any 'Bearing Growl". Check that you properly Re-Tightened the Three Bolts holding the Power Steering Pump on...while the Serpentine Belt is OFF.

Let us know what you figure out.
Did just like you said removed belt fired up no sounds. Put the old belt back on no clanging. Think I’m going to return the new belt to Autozone. Have a good brands you’d suggest?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Gates is probably The Best by Reputation...The most Important aspect (Beside Matching High & Low V - Square Cut Belt Grooves) is the Belt LENGTH. Even a Very Small Change affecting the "Transitional Velocity" of the Belt Speed in its Outer Orbit can cause problems with Accessory Pulleys and Bearings if the Belt Length is either NON-OEM...Too Short... or ...TOO Long. :>)

Last edited:

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Gates is probably The Best by Reputation...The most Important aspect (Beside Matching High & Low Square Cut Belt Grooves) is the Belt LENGTH. Even a Very Small Change affecting the "Transitional Velocity" of the Belt Speed in its Outer Orbit can cause problems with Accessory Pulleys and Bearings if the Belt Length is either NON-OEM...Too Short... or ...TOO Long. :>)
I ended up ordering the AC Delco OEM from Rock Auto.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
BTW, for videos, you have to upload it to YouTube and post the link to it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and that leads us to the suggestion that Making Regular Dollar Donations into "The Fish Bowl" at GMT Nation might help support that feature.... Lest we forget that "Free Advice and Mechanical Know-How" is never really FREE and invariably such Help prevents most Folks frequently receiving assistance here from having to resort to the Dealerships or Pro Shop Costs and having to shell out Thousands of Dollars for Parts and Repair Costs.

"How Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth it is... To have a Thankless Child !" ― William Shakespeare, King Lear.

Last edited:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Parts suppliers often make a mistake on the belt length. As mrrsm mentioned, the length is very important. The EXT model uses the SHORTER belt, and the standard wheelbase model uses the LONGER belt. You can usually tell by the stock number. Your belt stock number should end in 915 if it is a standard wheelbase model, and 905 if it's an extended wheelbase model.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Why?? That seems pretty lame to me but I don’t own this site.
That's because we don't have the infinite capacity of Google to store them.

Reactions: Fishnbob and mrrsm

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Just wanted to give an update. Replaced with GM part and no new noise. Also, starter went out and was a PIA to replace . I really didn’t like wrenching on it as everything is difficult to remove/replace. The Trailblazer I6 in my opinion is a weak engine too. I was thinking of doing an engine swap but after reading the process here decided to just sell it. Found a 06 Saab 97x 5.3. Bought it for $500 less than what I sold the TB for. All I have to do to it is delete the AWD and be good to go. Plan is to lower it and repaint with racing stripes. Very fast truck and way more comfort than the TB. Wish I could have got the SS but this will definitely suffice.

Attachments

• B21AFF2E-A7D3-4E22-AE79-D304840997D8.jpeg
    B21AFF2E-A7D3-4E22-AE79-D304840997D8.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 2
  • C3D87564-8DD4-4E22-B7C2-433796D5103C.jpeg
    C3D87564-8DD4-4E22-B7C2-433796D5103C.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3B92B0D4-FB61-4487-9B9B-1E7548DF1AA4.jpeg
    3B92B0D4-FB61-4487-9B9B-1E7548DF1AA4.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You think the I6 starter is hard to replace? Just wait till you have to do it on a V8!

Reactions: Fishnbob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online