atv carb issues? Anyone?

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Good morning all :smile: , my son has a 110cc 4stroke atv. As cheaply made as it is it has held up pretty good for 4years. I just bought a new battery, new sparkplug and was going to start it up first time this year. When I filled up the gas tank with gas it came running out of the carb overflow tube and a nozzle on the side of the carb. All the gas came out that I put in the tank. I'm guessing a stuck float issue? I don't know much about these but what should I be looking for? Any suggestions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Classic stuck float symptoms. Disassemble, clean (with something other than gasoline, I guess), or just see if it unsticks with a few up-down jiggles.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
CDlassic stuck float symptoms. Disassemble, clean (with something other than gasoline, I guess), or just see if it unsticks with a few up-down jiggles.

thank you, I'll take it apart and Clean it all up with carb cleaner. Now off to sons play off ball game. New issue with 5.3 Envoy. I'll post in a soon when I get back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The best way to clean these out is to use a carb cleaning dip. It's in a 1 gallon can and comes with a dipping basket to put all the parts in. Take it apart and remove all plastic and rubber parts as the dip will attack them. Put it all in the basket and dip it in the can for a couple of hours. If it's really cruddy, leave it overnight. Take it out, spray with regular carb cleaner and blow everything out with compressed air. This is the stuff I got and it works great NAPA AUTO PARTS . If you don't plan on doing a lot of these, you should be able to get by with the regular spray carb cleaner but I highly recommend the dip. It even gets rid of the green crud that accumulates at the bottom of the float bowl that regular cleaner has trouble with.

Denali n DOO

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I took it all apart n cleaned it, the needle was pretty gummy. Put it back together and it runs fine, idles best with air screw all the way in :undecided: . Now to try and figure out if the battery is being charged as it doesn't stay charged long at all. Can die in only a day. There's a red fused wire that goes to the battery and the fuse is good. Any suggestions how to trouble shoot this?

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
First throw a dmm on the battery terminals while it's running and make sure your getting high 13's.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the voltage doesn't go up from 12V after starting, then you need to check further. If you know where the stator is and how it's wired, you can check for any open or shorts to ground. Could also be the voltage regulator/rectifier. You almost need a wiring schematic but that may be difficult with Chinese clones. Try a Google search for "repair manual" or "schematic" with your model number. eBay may also have them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online