Anybody using/used Treadwright's Puma?

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Looking for new tires, something a little more aggressive than our current worn down touring all-seasons. The price is right, even shipped. Just curious if anybody has experience with the Puma, I know a few of you are running the Guard Dog. Any help or input would be great.
Thank You in advance.

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
As a preface: I live across the street from one of the 5 or 10 most visited ski resorts in the country, my driveway is a little over 9,000 feet in elevation. Our winter driving up here is a little bit higher end than what the people back in Minnesota complained about growing up. Most people around here run dedicated snow tires. The highway in front of my house frequently closes, and is often snow chains mandatory for commercial vehicles.

I was looking for an AT tire that could handle 1. snow 2. highway miles 3. light trail driving on a little bit of a budget. Went with pumas with kedge grip. I have heard the kedge grip means a softer compound and faster wear, but at the time I was looking for a year-round tire that would be "pretty good" at everything around here. I walk to work, most of my driving is the grocery store/post office run 8 miles into town once every 7-10 days, not a lot of highway driving.

Very light winter, 120 inches this season. Had a few 6-8" days where they handed the new snow like a champ. Handled the firm pack snow relatively well, but needed to go into 4wd a few times to get out of the driveway when getting over the plow berm. I am planning on picking up a dedicated set of snow tires for next winter, I think I expected a little too much out of an AT tire.

5 months and about 500 miles of varied winter driving later and I am pretty happy. They are solid in all conditions I put driven them on, only a little bit of highway noise, but not bad for an AT tread.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Thanks for the info, glad to know you like them. I have dedicated blizaks on our Miata, and they are a night and day difference. Tonight, or tomorrow I am going to order the Puma's, hope there isn't too long of a wait for matching sidewalls. :biggrin:

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
When I ordered on the website, got a call and said they could ship unmatched yokohama/toyo carcasses next day, or wait a week and get a matched set. Asked for matching brands. 2 weeks later hadn't heard anything and sent an e-mail to whatever their generic e-mail addy is, info@treadwright or something similar. 12 minutes later got a reply with a tracking number, 4 bfg rugged trail carcasses waiting on the front step 3 business days later.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Sounds good, I did specify matching castings when I ordered. (even if it were the same tire) having different brand names would bother me. :rotfl: Im not to worried about them showing up right away, the quicker the better though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They have been good for me to deal with.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That what my email said yesterday about my replacement tire. I found a few cuts in the tread of one of mine, so they are sending one to replace it.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
HARDTRAILZ said:
That what my email said yesterday about my replacement tire. I found a few cuts in the tread of one of mine, so they are sending one to replace it.

I assume our tires had fun riding together, if they did. LOL Mine got to the Indy terminal at 5:55 this morning. They should be here around 11am. They wont be installed today, but I'll at least post pics of them.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Well 4 days after ordering my new tires they are here. They look a lot better than the re-treads I use to sell at the TA truck stop. Makes me want to have them installed sooner, than later... Ill post pics in a few mins.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The wife said mine was just delivered as well.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Do they use 4 of the same carcasses for the retread? or do you get a random brand for each tire?

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
TollKeeper said:
Do they use 4 of the same carcasses for the retread? or do you get a random brand for each tire?

You can request matching carcasses, if they dont have a matching set, they will make a matching set, just may take a little longer. From what I understand, if you order from them and dont specify. If they have a matching set in stock they will send you them. If not I have heard they will call you and ask if a miss matched set is ok. But I made sure to specify because having a miss matched set would bother me big time. I just woke up I hope this makes sense.:biggrin:
BTW: My carcasses are all BFG Rugged Trail T/A

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Bringing up an old topic.. Needing tires..

Wondering how these are working out for you?

TreadWright has some in nearly my size on clearnace, LT/AT Warden series
Treadwright

And TireCappers has a highway tread in my size
TireCappers

Do I need an off road.. No, but in the snow it might be nice.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Treadwrights are the worst tires I ever owned. I almost sold my truck cause I hated driving with them so much.

And now you cant even ensure matching carcasses.

They were loud, they were heavy, they handled like shit.

get some real new tires off discout tire direct or ebay or amazon for same price....maybe cheaper if you work rebates on DTD like I do.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well that sucks LOL.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Better/cheaper/free shipping

and the smaller are even cheaper

Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check out Falken Wildpeak AT3W also. I curently have them and they work well so far. Not overly expensive (far cheaper than the BFGs I used to have anyway). I don't know exact pricing in the size you need though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online