Any Easy Swap to Trailblazer Headlights?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I know there were many variants of this truck. And unlike the old S10 days, there are a lot more differences in body shapes. I'm wondering if any other version of this truck has a headlight that will fit right a Trailblazer? I have an LT so theres no chrome bar. One of my lenses is all messed up and no rubbing compound will fix it. I also want to do an HID upgrade at some point. That would be a lot cheaper and easier if I could swap in a lens that always came in projectors, like the Saab (though it sure looks like the saab's lights are nowhere near a fit for a TB. Otherwise it's the retrofit route, which with the cost of at least one new lens added in, that becomes a very expensive headlight upgrade.

I've never heard of this before, so I assume others have had this idea, and the answers is a big ol' NOPE, but I figured it's worth asking.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Only TB lights will fit on a TB. Due to body lines with the fenders, hood, grille and bumper, you can't swap between models.

There are 2 versions of TB projector headlights that you can buy online. There are members here who have bought them and posted what they like and don't like about them (and fairly recently too). So the information you need is readily available, just have to spend a little bit of time looking for it. :yes:

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I know there were many variants of this truck. And unlike the old S10 days, there are a lot more differences in body shapes. I'm wondering if any other version of this truck has a headlight that will fit right a Trailblazer? I have an LT so theres no chrome bar. One of my lenses is all messed up and no rubbing compound will fix it. I also want to do an HID upgrade at some point. That would be a lot cheaper and easier if I could swap in a lens that always came in projectors, like the Saab (though it sure looks like the saab's lights are nowhere near a fit for a TB. Otherwise it's the retrofit route, which with the cost of at least one new lens added in, that becomes a very expensive headlight upgrade.

I've never heard of this before, so I assume others have had this idea, and the answers is a big ol' NOPE, but I figured it's worth asking.

Besides doing a retrofit custom headlight there really isn't anything else you can do to change the headlights

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I figured this was the case, just thought I'd check.

Meanwhile, as the cost of regular trailblazer headlight lenses creeps down, the cost of LT lenses seems to be creeping up, now over $300 for a set. I guess my best bet is to try to hit up a junkyard that won't know the difference and won't know to charge me more.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I figured this was the case, just thought I'd check.

Meanwhile, as the cost of regular trailblazer headlight lenses creeps down, the cost of LT lenses seems to be creeping up, now over $300 for a set. I guess my best bet is to try to hit up a junkyard that won't know the difference and won't know to charge me more.

You could always get the regular headlights and the crossbar, I found a set on Amazon that I'm gonna order, they are stock lights with a black housing for under $90

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I believe I would need a whole new grill for that. And I do like the look of the LT grill. I could potentially get an SS grill but I don't think the SS ever came in this color. Plus thats starting to get expensive.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well, the point I was trying to make, is that you're not limited to what's already out there. With some creativity and willingness to do the work, you can come up with something you like, and make the look you want, come to life.

If your current lenses are hazed so bad that rubbing compound won't fix them, you could step up to the drill driven sanding discs. Those have worked well for myself, as well as many other members. :twocents:

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Sorry I wasn't meaning to burn you, I just really like the LT look where the grill doesn't touch the headlights. I specifically like it better which is why i searched forever and found an LT.

The problem with my lenses (its actually just one, the other is fine) is that the fogging and peeling is part on the inside and part on the outside. So lens cleaner would help a little, but not at all to the inside. I suppose if I were opening them up to do a retrofit, then I could clean both sides then anyway. But I also read that opening OEM lenses for the retrofit is a lot harder than opening aftermarket lenses.

This is pretty far down my truck's to-do list so I'll give it more thought.

Reactions: matty8412

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Have you contacted them? They aren't giving the choice between LS and LT for your year.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
That's definitely the cheapest i've seen for a set of LT's. Still though, unfortunately that's very expensive, when you also add in the cost of the HID kit :sadcry:

And I'd still have to get my DRL's disabled to go HID right? They use low voltage high's as DRL? So for a bi-xenon HID solution, I'd have to disable DRL and then hard wire up something myself for running lights, probably some dim-ish LED bulbs in the otherwise unused high beam light socket?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You could do the capacitor mod and have them on full bright so the DRLs are not pulsing.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have had cap mod for years with HID and no issues.

Reactions: djthumper

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
where did you happen to find or get those style mirrors?

Those weren't my pics, the member who originally posted them hasn't been around here for a while, and hasn't posted in almost 18 months. They are towing mirrors, modded to fit, but which model exactly, I have no idea. You can find them online in the usual places.

Reactions: matty8412

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They look like the chrome version of Silverado tow mirrors. There are no TB tow mirrors.

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
TYC replacement lamps were an exact copy of OEM for 2003 envoy.
Wagner 9011 HIR bulbs just need trimming to fit. They are only @ $8.50 at Rockauto.
Doesn't break the bank

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online