Another HID Thread! This Time with LT Lenses.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Can I get a hint on where to look for the pics you are referring to?

It sounds like your saying i should grind the back of the bowl instead of the front, but the projector itself will never sit well with that raised section still in there (the green highlighted part)? I assume I'll still have to remove that no matter what. Are you suggesting that that won't be enough and I'll ALSO have to trim some of the back?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can I get a hint on where to look for the pics you are referring to?

Mark the "Search Titles Only" check box when you run your search in the forum. That will help. There aren't that many retrofit threads out there.

It sounds like your saying i should grind the back of the bowl instead of the front
Are you suggesting that that won't be enough and I'll ALSO have to trim some of the back?

I'm saying that's what I did, and some others. Everyone's is different, since no one uses the exact same components, there's no 1 correct way to do this mod. You have all the parts in hand, mock them up, fit them together and see how it looks compared to what you want. Then mod as necessary. Lather, rinse and repeat. This is the majority of the retrofit process right here.

the projector itself will never sit well with that raised section still in there (the green highlighted part)? I assume I'll still have to remove that no matter what.

Good, this is the type of trial and error you're supposed to be doing. Keep analyzing what you run into like this, and you'll be able to answer all of your own questions.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I finally had a little more time to sacrifice to the time-vampire that is my HID upgrade. So I smoothed out one of the bowls, as soon. I made a bit of a mess, that chrome layer comes off very easy. But it should all be hidden when I'm done so hopefully it's fine.

Important note: I had my shop vac hose in one hand and my dremel in the other. It was very effective at getting almost all of the ceramic dust. Although it wasn't so good at getting the chrome flakes, so it looks like I have glitter all over my shirt.

So I temporarily installed one projector in the lens with what I guess is the right fittings to use. Seems alright. Opinions?

One thing that concerns me a bit is how soft and easy to grind this bowl was. Yet when it's time to do the final installation, and I'm bolding the projectors in there good and tight, I sure hope the bowl doesn't crack.

Also what I am leveling the projector to? In other words, is there one part of the headlight lens that sits perfectly level relative to the truck? Something I can use as a reference to make sure the projector is sitting level?

Attachments

• IMG_9794.jpeg
    IMG_9794.jpeg
    807.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9795.jpeg
    IMG_9795.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9796.jpeg
    IMG_9796.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9797.jpeg
    IMG_9797.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 6

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Also what I am leveling the projector to? In other words, is there one part of the headlight lens that sits perfectly level relative to the truck? Something I can use as a reference to make sure the projector is sitting level?

Go back to the TRS video. ~30 second mark. It may be best if you press pause on your retrofit, take some time to do some more research and come up with a plan of attack. I recommend writing the steps down. This isn't a seat of your pants type mod, to figure it out as you go. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online