Android head unit

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
I actually got the steering wheel controls working no problems. I had slight issues with my backup/ webcam since I cut the wires and extended them, but finally got that working now and should have it installed next week possibly.

I like the idea of the roaming access point in case you don't want to be tethered to your phone constantly like I am.

Here are a couple of videos I made of the steering wheel controls and backup camera. I also just added a DVB-T tuner so that I can still have my FM stations without steaming from my phone.

[video=youtube;NJVn-XLqnEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJVn-XLqnEs[/video]

[video=youtube;Sz8v9uALfno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz8v9uALfno[/video]

[video=youtube;kOj3R8rJMq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOj3R8rJMq0[/video]

Very VERY sick! How did you set up the backup cam? I SERIOUSLY want to do that!

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
Very VERY sick! How did you set up the backup cam? I SERIOUSLY want to do that!

Used the joycon EXR with the C channel taped into the reverse wire that was on my aftermarket wiring harness. I then ran a usb extension from my hub to the back hatch for the camera.
Then all I had to do was program the key press (reverse signal) to launch the special app to use a webcam.
I might mess with it to automatically close the app when taken out of reverse tonight... or just play COD all night lol

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Well 2 weeks ago I drove 9 hours back to college with no freezes or hiccups. The only issues I currently have are a horribly buzzing that requires reconnecting the DAC or an occasion flash drive not found which I think I have mostly fixed. Since I made my hub externally powered the tablet get enough power to stay fully charged over long trips while using gps and screen brightness on full.

I went and cleaned a foot or two of snow off my truck today and apparently the tablet battery doesn't like temperatures below zero, well at least for a long period of time. My tablet battery was dead along with my trucks battery.
When I tried charging the tablet it showed it was charging with it off but once I turned it on it immediately shut down and said battery zero. So I let my car warm up for about 40 minutes then let it just sit for another 40 minutes and then tried charging it. It then finally took the charge and turned on.
For the past 3 days I haven't touched my car since its been below zero every day. I believe the coldest it got was -14 with a wind chill of -44 so I'm not surprised my tablet was dead, I was just surprised that it wouldn't take a charge. Not really sure what happened but I think the battery froze which is why it wouldn't take a charge. I think this because if you look at the graph it had about a 40% charge left before it just dropped right off to 0. Here is a screen shot I took of the battery graph once I got it turned on and charging for 2 hours.

It survived last night when it got as low as -5 out so I guess it just doesn't like being much colder than that.

I know with my Android phone when it is cold it has a message saying unable to charge due to battery too hot/cold. Had that happen after I had my phone in the truck for a few hours while i was at work.

But I def like what you have done. Looks really clean.:thumbsup:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Used the joycon EXR with the C channel taped into the reverse wire that was on my aftermarket wiring harness. I then ran a usb extension from my hub to the back hatch for the camera.
Then all I had to do was program the key press (reverse signal) to launch the special app to use a webcam.
I might mess with it to automatically close the app when taken out of reverse tonight... or just play COD all night lol

Where did you pickup the joycon? I know it's primarily for steering controls (which i dont have), but i'd buy it just for the backup camera.

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
Where did you pickup the joycon? I know it's primarily for steering controls (which i dont have), but i'd buy it just for the backup camera.

Amazon... link is in the first post.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Amazon... link is in the first post.

Totally missed that, thanks!

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Finally messed with my backup cam and have it automatically opening when in reverse and closing when put in park or drive.

Since I had an issue with just seeing a white screen someone recommended I put polarized sunglasses up to the camera and see if it made a difference, which it did. So I did some more experimenting and ended up using 2 layers of 20% window tint over the camera lens which works decently well.

I'd probably have to say wait and see if they get the easycam working that way you can use any backup cam instead of a webcam and doing more work.

Here is a video of it in action.

[video=youtube;RxpE7if-7ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpE7if-7ds[/video]

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or not but figured I'd just throw it in here.

I'm having a little problem with my amp going into protection mode when I turn the volume past half way. This just started last week and has been fine since the install a few months ago so not really sure what is going on.

What I do now is I need to re-crimp my power wire at the battery since it slides a little in the power ring.
Oh and I already blew both of my front speakers but I don't think that would really affect the protection mode issue... would it?

The amp defiantly isn't overheating since it isn't even warm.

I'm going to try and fix the power cable and adjust the amp and see if I can fix it today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Update:
Fixed my power connector which didn't fix it. So I unplugged all my speakers and started re-connecting them and testing it one by one. Apparently the tweeters in both my front doors still work, but the passenger side seems louder that the driver side but neither door speaker works. Think I waited too long to tune my amp when I first put it in since I was basically putting 175 watts to a 60 watt speaker. luckily a new pair of speakers are less than $40.
When I got to the last speaker to re-connect which was my driver door and I turned up the volume the amp went into protection mode. So I guess either I have a short in my wiring or the blown speaker is screwing things up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.