Am I just being overly paranoid? Or is something still wrong?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
The saga continues, removed 2 broken bolts in the engine block successfully. They broke when changing the water pump(Bad outer bearing). Well we put the truck back together and started it.

There was the knocking noise again, along with a hissing sound. We turned the truck off, and restarted it. The knocking noise is gone, but something still just doesn't sound right. I still hear a very slight hissing sound. The metal AC thing(I'm still learning so bear with me) the one by the washer fluid was hissing once we turned the truck off too. But the original hissing sound wasn't coming from that, it was coming from the engine.

I know my fan clutch is shit, and we are getting an e-fan kit and PCM4less tune, but would the fan clutch cause those noises? I still have the ticking obviously. I have learned the sounds of the truck on a normal non screwed up state, thanks to roadie's advice on a 4wd issue, and I can tell that it sounds incredibly different. It's not the same as a normal I6 would sound like, but it's not the same sound that I got yesterday with the faulty water pump, I've never heard these noises before in this truck.

Any advice? Should I just take a nap and see if everything chills out, or do I have a right to be concerned?

EDIT- I will be uploading a video just so you guys can listen and maybe offer me either some relief by telling me it sounds okay, or by driving me nuts by telling me you hear something abnormal. And I also wanted to mention, the temp got up to 210 a lot faster than it has been and has not been a tick lower. I will test it out fully with a bit of hard driving when I pick the boys up from school.

Just click the picture, it will take you to the video. I'm to lazy to upload it via youtube!

Thanks!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Fix the fan issue. Mine made all sorts of noises as it died.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Fix the fan issue. Mine made all sorts of noises as it died.

Thank you! I will hopefully be ordering an e fan kit and tune in a week or 2.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Something just isn't right.....

I took it to pick the boys up from school, did't really get on it. But I noticed on the way home, the speedo needle takes FOREVER to decrease in speed once I let off the gas...and I'm talking a good hang up. It isn't until I hit the break that the needle comes down faster. I'm completely stopped before the needle even hit 0 mph.

It also seems like the RPM's are getting a bit higher than it was before, although it shifts a lot smoother, is quieter, and the throttle response is great. So I'm not to worried about that. But I'm wondering about a possible stepper motor? At least I will have some great people to give it a once over, test drive or whatever to help me calm my nerves, or find out what's next on the To-Do list.

Hubby is taking it for a spin right now to verify whether or not I'm going crazy lol It could just be that my brain is severely lagging due to lack of sleep.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Did you look around. There might have been a gt by you. My ss has the same trouble with slowing down around them.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Yeah I think I'm just a tad paranoid, but I will have ya'll look at it tomorrow.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
My voy has that same "knocking" sound also, I never cared or bothered to do anything about it thinking it was normal lol still running me just fine so i leave it for now

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
I say just drive the damn thing. Lol

:rotfl: Thats what my dad says haha Till that thing stops moving then worry about it lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I'm a worry wart. I can't help it, but I can learn to deal with it lol

All is well.....I think I'm just overly paranoid because I really don't want to miss the meet tomorrow lol. I need me some wine tasting :wootwoot:

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Hissing sound coming from the accumulator is completely normal after shut down. You must have had the AC running. The best way to tell for sure you don't have any internal engine trouble is to just take off the serpentine belt and start it up, let it run for 30-45 seconds and listen. If there's knocking/ticking then you have a deeper problem. If it's quiet, then you know all the noise is a peripheral item as I noted in a previous post Good job on the broken bolt extraction and water pump replacement. (45 years of twisting bolts on automobiles, from complete engine rebuilds to ground up restorations on old classic Chevys) Good on Ya! c good

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online