Air suspension issue

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I have a 04 rainier. Bags or compressor seem to leak as it drops quickly. Anyway I've managed to just go and they fill up again minimal pump running while driving.

So today if blows fuse one but I didn't know was fuse assumed comoressir finally crapped out. So drove home from work 20 minutes bouncing around. Come home disassemble stuff checking wires as the light in back didn't Go on. Google finally directed me to the right fuse and it was blown I said phew easy as that

Well I replaced fuse and went to check it pressed button. Pump came on for like 5 seconds then slowly got really quiet and now the light comes on but then starts flashing.

Did my compressor finally shit the bed???? Before I spend 350 on a new one or 260 for coil conversion and new shock absorbers

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Do u tow? I went with coils in my ss. Deflated bags ride like shit. Much better ride now and I dont have to listen to the compressor kicking on every start up.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Sometimes I tow but nothing crazy used it a lot to fill things up with air.

I just don't get how a fuse blows.....replace fuse.. compressor works for 5 seconds then slowly dies. Now with it on I only hear a small sort of gurgle noise coming from compressor

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Do they make auto leveling springs. Or are those just springs with air bags in them and I'll need new compressor anyway

U can put helper bags in the spring. And when u tow pump them up (like at the gas station)

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
On last question. The springs when converting will I need to compress them to install. I read the manual and didn't see anything about it just says basically put them in place where bags were and your done. Sounds too easy to me

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I think the flashing light is a trouble code of some kind. I recall reading somewhere that it flashes a certain way or so many times or something like that to indicate the issue with the system. Have you looked in the manuals Mooseman has available for download, some good air ride info in there.

Arnott has compressors for $371 https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BUICK_yid10_pid121.html .

I find it pretty useful always pumping up bike tires, balls and topping up car tires. But what I like the most is that when I put a loaded trailer on I don't have to do anything but start the truck and the ride height goes up to where it's suppose to be, take the trailer off and it returns to proper ride height again and I do nothing. Headlights are always aimed properly, loaded trailer or no trailer...

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
For under $75 you can get a small pancake compressor/tank combo from Harbor Freight. Much better than wearing out the compressor of the air ride for tires, balls, etc. :twocents:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
jeffro312 said:
I have a 04 rainier. Bags or compressor seem to leak as it drops quickly. Anyway I've managed to just go and they fill up again minimal pump running while driving.

So today if blows fuse one but I didn't know was fuse assumed comoressir finally crapped out. So drove home from work 20 minutes bouncing around. Come home disassemble stuff checking wires as the light in back didn't Go on. Google finally directed me to the right fuse and it was blown I said phew easy as that

Well I replaced fuse and went to check it pressed button. Pump came on for like 5 seconds then slowly got really quiet and now the light comes on but then starts flashing.

Did my compressor finally shit the bed???? Before I spend 350 on a new one or 260 for coil conversion and new shock absorbers

I love the air ride system,most of the "super high end vehicles" use air ride systems. I bought a spare compressor from Arnott to have on hand if mine ever fails. A new compressor would probably solve your problem and last the life of your vehicle. In the end it's your choice and your $$...Mike.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
yes, the strutmasters kit is overpriced. yes, you can get those springs, however the part number for the shocks are different for air suspension vs spring. I don't know what the difference is, but you probably should get new shocks (for springs). There is the chance that the air shocks are longer and you might have a spring pop out

When you disconnect the shock from the axle, you can lower the axle far enough to put the springs in without compressing them. very easy.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Thanks guys for all your help guess I'm ordering arnots kit.

Strut master seemed like a better deal you get coils and shocks for 269

Think arnott was 250. Just coils. Are they better quality

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Any one help me out tomorrow conversion kit comes wed I'll be installing...

Question 1. How do the air lines disconnect from air bags. Tried looking today but couldn't see much. So if I can figure out how it works would help greatly

Question 2. Since compresor does not work should be OK to leave everything in place as is correct?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Twist the bags out and cut the airlines at the bags. Passenger side u have to drop the panhard bar to get the bag out and the new spring in. U can leave the compressor in. Just take the #1 fuse out.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
View attachment 30845

Disconnect the air supply line from the air spring in the following way:
  • Push the air supply line into the air spring connection and hold in place.
  • Depress and hold the air supply line collet (2) down.
  • Remove the air supply line (1) from the air spring.

Attachments

• 120404189.jpg
    120404189.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 11

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
jrSS said:
Twist the bags out and cut the airlines at the bags. Passenger side u have to drop the panhard bar to get the bag out and the new spring in. U can leave the compressor in. Just take the #1 fuse out.

Hey FYI maybe my trucks different but I was able to take passenger side bag out other day just jacking back of car of from the hitch wheels still on ground.

Maybe will have to remove this to get springs in we shall see hope not. Planning on this being a 45 min job for myself shocks and springs. Just waiting on the ups to deliver my stuff.

They split packages so one comes today other tomorrow

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Its one of the easiest things to do on our platform. I see no issues for u on doing this under an hours time.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
:sadcry: figures just shocks come today springs tomorrow. Hope I'm not doing any damage driving around like this.

My inpatient self will just have to wait.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Springs came in today everything came out easily.

Found the leaky air bag
uhe2a8e5.jpg

Cracked at the seal.

Then off the shock absorbers another easy task
Old
4y5adeje.jpg
utyhamys.jpg

New
vesu4ynu.jpg

And then the pictures stopped. Either I was misinformed at easy one man job in under and hour or they sent wrong springs. With shocks disconnected from axle was under assumption spring pop right in. Well a half hour fighting trying to compress then in. Use old shock to hold down axle etc no luck

Called a friend and he came he stood on the tire to hold axle down and I pushed up spring and barely slide it into place.

Same on other side so all said and done. If your doing this bring a buddy.
qybajera.jpg

She's now sitting at normal ride height and the bounce mobile is no longer thank god. Thanks for everyone's input

Oh heres a quick shot of springs in
edynapuz.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not sure how you supported the vehicle, but assuming you had jack stands under the frame, and a floor jack under the differential when you removed the shocks, then lowered the axle with the floor jack, the next limiting element is usually the emergency brake lines. I use an old small bottle jack if necessary to push another inch downward on each side of the axle to get the springs in. But I'm always installing longer or stiffer Z71 lift springs.

You can also use a ratchet strap or rope to pre-compress the spring before putting it in. I guess that was sort of obvious that I didn't mention it before you did the work. A large boot or rubber sledge hammer can also assist the install.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I just didn't think after axle lowered there would be a need to compress thought would be a tight fit then jack axles up to compress to attach shock. Now I know for next time. Thanks guys

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online