Aftermarket radio installation help

heatherwalsh1231

Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
FLORIDA
We are new owners of a 2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE. We decided it needed a stereo upgrade and bought a radio, dash kit and antenna adapter. The store didn't have the harness adapter so we decided we would just splice the wires like we had on numerous other vehicles we have owned. No big deal right? Wrong dead wrong. First of all there are 2 orange wires are they both power or only one? Second when we hook the radio to kne of the orange wires we can't even get the truck to crank, take that wire off and it works fine. The radio will not power up at all. The vehicle does have onstar and from what I am reading is the issue. This is an old work vehicle with a cheap radio, just wanted USB capability, so I don't want to spend more than the radio in harness connectors. Please help!!!!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
The easiest way to confirm that is by looking at the top of the dash at each corner and if you see small speakers then it's a bose sound system.

heatherwalsh1231

Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
FLORIDA
These are the dash speakers. Just the normal sized dash speakers. It doesn't have any controls on the steering wheel.

Attachments

• 20200407_205000.jpg
    20200407_205000.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 6

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Shine a flashlight in there there may not actually be a speaker in that location. GM didn't change that trim piece even if it didn't come with a speaker in the location.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The best solution is to get a harness -- everything will wire up perfectly, once you reconnect your stock wiring. But they do cost $40-$80, depending on where you get it and what brand you buy (I like the Axxess/Metra; others here like the PAC)

I've attached the portion of the service manual that has the radio wiring schematics. There's a lot to go through, as you'll see when you open it, and you'll need to match your unit up to the right series of diagrams. Although it shows '2004', your 2003 will have the same wiring.

Attachments

• entertainment.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

heatherwalsh1231

Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
FLORIDA
Thank you. I am not good at deciphering these but will take a look. Any idea why when we connect the power wire to the stereo that it won't even crank?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It might not be a power wire but you might have used the CANBUS network wire and may be interfering with all the modules. You're gonna have to put the connector back on and get a proper adapter. In my LS, I actually did good with the Walmart Scosche adapter and it includes the chimes.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thank you. I am not good at deciphering these but will take a look. Any idea why when we connect the power wire to the stereo that it won't even crank?

Other than generically saying "it's the wrong wire", no.

One thing I will say... don't assume same-colored wires between radio and vehicle harness connect together. Wire colors in the aftermarket radio industry are fairly standardized... but not between vehicle manufacturers. That's why I like the 3rd-party harnesses - no guesswork.

heatherwalsh1231

Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
FLORIDA
We had a basic wiring guide that told us what each color was doe the vehicleand for the stereo. The problem is there are 2 orange wires coming from the vehicle. Then of course there are extra wires that don't seem to have a place on the radio, I assume those have to do with the chimes? We were going to buy a harness but Walmart did not have one for our vehicle. Right now not every thing is open obviously so I guess maybe a trip to an auto parts store and see if they have one and reconnect the original harness. I never have had this much trouble installing a radio before.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Try Amazon or Ebay for the harness. Delivery might be a little slower w/ Amazon right now.
You may find a better deal on Ebay - but make sure it's being shipped from US and not China, or you'll wait a long time for it.

Remember that the chimes are within the OEM radio itself, so if you want to retain them, make sure the harness has the capability. Since you don't have the Bose amp, and can't use OnStar, you could actually get one of the cheaper harnesses for yours.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
By that way this is why the truck won't start you can't play with any wires controlled by the bcm, serial data. Be happy you haven't popped any fuses yet. Get the adapter and be done. The problem most ppl run into when trying to do it by just splicing into the factory wiring is they cant locate a accessory turn on which is no where in the bundle of wires you have at the factory radio. Some ppl go as far as grabbing the accessory power from the ignition switch wiring which can bring on other issues.20200407_222831.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Don't forget an antenna adapter, if you don't have one already (the GM antenna lead is a smaller plug - you plug the adapter between their lead and the new radio.)

The Metra 40-GM10 is listed a little further down on the page @xavierny25 linked for you, and is a fine choice (less than $4, too)

(on edit - you indicated in the OP that you had the antenna adapter)

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
"Some ppl go as far as grabbing the accessory power from the ignition switch wiring which can bring on other issues. "

Im having the same problem as the OP. Are you saying that with the right adapter there is an ACC wire? Im looking all over my wiring diagram and I just dont see where it would come from. So is there a generally accepted place/wire to splice into to get the ACC power ?
I have an adapter I got from another Envoy at the junkyard that had an aftermarket radio installed so Im guessing it is the right 1 ....I dont see any identifying numbers on it. But all the wires are matching up except the ACC which was added on to lengthen it. I just cut it out the other car and didnt see where they had attached it to .
Also on my adapter the orange wires are just capped off and make no connection. Is that going to be ok?
I was going to bring it somewhere and have it hooked up but after reading a lot of these threads it seems you guys may know about it than most install places would so Im trying again to do it myself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, the adapter will give you all the wires you need for B+ and ACC+.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
But where will it draw the acc from ? I thought the post above was saying it didn't come from A1. If it doesnt come from there I dont see any other source. I have the ancient RDS radio with no amp if that makes any difference. My adapters are not wired totally like the 1 in the above diagram, I dont if thats because I have the wrong adapter or if mine is wired differently. I can move the pins around in the adapter I just need to determine what to where.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
But where will it draw the acc from ? I thought the post above was saying it didn't come from A1

Correct, it doesn't. The stock radio reads the data bus for a signal from the BCM to turn on. Same with the RAP when it would stay on when the key is turned off, until the door is opened, or the time limit runs out. The harnesses being recommended read that same signal, and translate it into the switched power signal for aftermarket head units.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ok, I see the lil black box that comes with it that mine doesnt have. So I'll just buy the whole new setup as above. I didnt know how but I knew it would cost MORE MONEY somehow....lol

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Johnny Jinx here with todays new problem. Went to install radio got everything hooked up. Surprisingly only had to call the adapter tech support once. Got it all ready and went to plug in the antenna .......and it don't fit. End of the antenna cable is wayyyyy smaller than the hole in my radio.
Looked to me like maybe the end of cable stayed in the old radio so i got it out and found a small spacer inside the hole. Not nearly big enough though.
Question is ...Do I need some type of adapter or is there more stuck inside the old radio. I tried prying what I could see out of the radio but it wouldnt budge. And dropped the small spacer as well and where it went is anybodys guess. I cant find it. Here is a pic of what I do have....

Attachments

• radio antenna.jpg
    radio antenna.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 2

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Or even at your local Autozone/Parts Store. GM has been using this antenna end since the mid 80's

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or even Walmart.

SoundBass

Apr 18, 2020
Sarnia ON
I replaced the factory radio in my 06 Rainier *and in an 04 Rainier earlier) with an aftermarket unit. I went online and ordered all harness adapters and steering wheel adaptors, and it has all the functions of the factory unit, chimes and all. I used Metra components.

Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Audio is kind of my specialty so if anyone has any questions I can either answer them or find the answer. You cannot just splice the wires like in the old days. The harness pack that plugs into the radio has a constant positive but no switched. The switched portion is done inside the radio itself via data bus. The bcm commands the radio to turn on and off. The simplest way is to get the correct adaptor and interface module, splice the wires there, and be done. If you decide to go back to factory, it's as easy as unplugging the connector. If you decide to go without the module, that's fine but you will need to run a wire from the head unit location to a fuse box and attach to a switched circuit. I did this on one of my old trailblazers as I was using an amp for the speakers, ran all new wiring for them, etc. I didn't see a point in buying a $60 interface just to use the switched portion. When you do tap into a circuit, I recommend doing one that you would consider non essential in an immediate situation(I used windows because it would not interfere with the operation of the vehicle and wouldn't leave me stranded if something went wrong.) When using the module, the wires from that and from the head unit are pretty well universally color coded, but I do recommend verifying anyways. Be careful when doing any wiring, especially when dealing with vehicles that utilize data bus systems. Many weird issues can arise and it's easy to cause problems. As I said im happy to answer any questions anyone may have, feel free to shoot me a message.

Reactions: Redbeard

princej99

Dec 10, 2018
ont
as was said before, a wiring harness is a necessity like the Metra LC-GMRC-01 , which fits my 08.

never heard of an install on these vehicles without the harness that went well. necessary evil.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online