Add aux input jack in 2003 TrailBlazer EXT?

classicbryan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Hi, all.

I was searching for answers, came across this site, and just registered. Lots of great info here but I wasn't able to find what I need - yet. :smile:

A couple weeks ago I bought a 2003 TrailBlazer EXT LT w/ Bose w/ 6-disc changer and OnStar. Love it, and I just want to add an aux input jack.

I thought it would be simple, especially in this day and age. Was I wrong! :smile:

The HU has an AM/FM / CD/AUX button and RDS.

I was going to buy the PIE GM12-AUXv2 through Crutchfield but it's out of stock until Sept. 7.

I ended up buying a PAC AAI-GM12 through eBay. Found instructions online on how to remove the panels and get the HU out. Installed the AAI-GM12, tested, no workie. :sadcry:

I then did some more research online. One hypothesis I have is that the HU has a satellite radio (XM) port that I'll have to have activated. Once that's activated - again, according to my hypothesis - I should be able to install the AAI-GM12 again and it *should* work as expected.

Another hypothesis is that the AAI-GM12 will not work with my HU at all (even if my HU does have the satellite port and I get it activated). In that case I wonder if the PIE GM12-AUXv2 would work? And if the HU does have the satellite port if I'd have to have it activated or not? I also found another device from PAC, the PAC AAI-GM24, but wonder if that will work (again, with or without having to have the satellite port, if present, activated)?

I did see the "$3.00 Aux input via XM interface" thread and I'm game to trying that. I need to see if I have an XM module. And if I do have an XM module, I wonder, if the HU does have the satellite port (which it should if there's an XM module present :smile: ) if I'd also have to have it activated?

Other info that I don't know if anyone will need to help or not so including it just in case: 6 cyl., 4WD.

Please let me know if you need any other info to help.

Any help much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Welcome to GMTNation!

I'm not sure about an 03 but my xm modules is under passanger side of dash, unscrew the black plastic piece below the glove box, mine is attached to the top of that. Hope that helps.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Welcome to the club,

classicbryan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the welcomes, Denali n DOO and RayVoy!

Denali n DOO, thank you for your reply! I should've made it more clear that I know where the XM unit, if present, would be, and that I just need to do the work to check to see if there is one in my TrailBlazer. I did find in my research that the XM unit would be in the same place as you stated yours is. It doesn't look too hard to check it, I may be able to try later tonight, otherwise soon.

Thanks again!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sounds like you have the same HU as my 02. If you have the button that says AM/FM instead of Band, you don't have sat radio.

You might want to look at an iSimple kit.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Your question is a bit to technical for me lol but I did want to come by and Welcome you over! It's nice to see a fellow Iowan!

classicbryan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Matt said:
Sounds like you have the same HU as my 02. If you have the button that says AM/FM instead of Band, you don't have sat radio.

You might want to look at an iSimple kit.

Thanks, Matt! I do believe I do not have satellite radio but, from the research I've done, I believe satellite radio can be added, and part of adding satellite radio is to have a "port" that the HU has activated.

I have looked at the iSimple stuff but I need to do some more research. From the device I saw it looks like it's a "direct" FM modulator. The device I looked at had a jack that the vehicle antenna plugs into then the iSimple jack plugs into the HU antenna jack. If the iSimple device is in fact a direct FM modulator that would be my last option.

Have you heard audio through an iSimple device? If so, what is the quality like?

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Voymom said:
Your question is a bit to technical for me lol but I did want to come by and Welcome you over! It's nice to see a fellow Iowan!

No problem, and thanks for the welcome, Voymom!

Nice to hear from a fellow Iowan, too! :smile:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Your headunit is not wired to have the XM ports used. If you headunit had a "band" button instead of the "am/fm" button, you would be ok. I havent looked at the 3 dollar aux port thread to know if that will work.

Basicly, you need a headunit with a Band button for what you are trying to do.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
classicbryan said:
Thanks, Matt! I do believe I do not have satellite radio but, from the research I've done, I believe satellite radio can be added, and part of adding satellite radio is to have a "port" that the HU has activated.

I have looked at the iSimple stuff but I need to do some more research. From the device I saw it looks like it's a "direct" FM modulator. The device I looked at had a jack that the vehicle antenna plugs into then the iSimple jack plugs into the HU antenna jack. If the iSimple device is in fact a direct FM modulator that would be my last option.

Have you heard audio through an iSimple device? If so, what is the quality like?

Thanks again!

Yeah, it's a "hardwired" FM modulator as opposed to a wireless. I added Sirius to mine using a Sirius hardwired modulator. The sound is comparable to the CD player to my ears. That is the only way of adding an AUX input with the 02-04 (I think 04) Bose 6 disc units.

The only other option would be to get a Bose 6 disc unit from an 05 Escalade, install it and get the VIN changed...they have sat radio and will work with our early model amps.

Alternatively, you can replace the HU or tear out the whole system and start again with a HU, amp and speakers of your choice.

classicbryan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
TollKeeper said:
Your headunit is not wired to have the XM ports used. If you headunit had a "band" button instead of the "am/fm" button, you would be ok. I havent looked at the 3 dollar aux port thread to know if that will work.

Basicly, you need a headunit with a Band button for what you are trying to do.

Thanks for your reply, TollKeeper!

There has to be some way to get an AUX port added to the setup I have. Especially in this day and age! :smile:

The HU does have a CD/AUX button. I'm not posing the following question to just you, TollKeeper, this is for anyone: If the HU isn't wired to have satellite radio then what is the AUX part of the CD/AUX button for? Is it for a rear entertainment system (RSE) to be added? (In my case, an upgraded RSE - I have radio with headphones currently.) If the AUX part of the CD/AUX button does control something after that something is installed and/or activated, then there has to be some way to add an AUX port.

Thanks again!

classicbryan

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Matt said:
Yeah, it's a "hardwired" FM modulator as opposed to a wireless. I added Sirius to mine using a Sirius hardwired modulator. The sound is comparable to the CD player to my ears. That is the only way of adding an AUX input with the 02-04 (I think 04) Bose 6 disc units.

The only other option would be to get a Bose 6 disc unit from an 05 Escalade, install it and get the VIN changed...they have sat radio and will work with our early model amps.

Alternatively, you can replace the HU or tear out the whole system and start again with a HU, amp and speakers of your choice.

So with the iSimple do you switch to Sirius via a button, e.g. CD/AUX / button combo, e.g. hold down CD then press next track / button-press combo, e.g. CD then next track then previous track? Or does it auto-switch when your Sirius unit is on? I'm guessing that if I did go with an iSimple that I'd have all existing HU functions and only when a source is connected to the AUX jack and outputting content / playing that the HU would automatically play the content from the AUX source? That would be fine! Being able to select the AUX source would be better, though, but not necessary. It'd be nice to just leave my iPod connected and switch when I want. Guess if the iPod is connected but isn't playing, though, the radio or CD would play?

I need to revise my earlier statement that an iSimple would be my last option. Replacing the factor HU with an aftermarket HU (and possibly amp) would be my next-to-last option and getting a different factory HU and having the VIN changed would be my last option. :smile: Thanks for the suggestions, though! Replacing the factory HU with a third party one would be more hassle and cost than I want: Have to decide on a one or two DIN HU, get something to be able to use the steering wheel controls, get something to keep OnStar intact and functional, possibly get an amp, etc. And the hassle and cost of getting a different (newer?) factory HU is also more than I want: Have to find a HU - hopefully used, as I bet the cost for a new HU would be significant. Well, significant to me, anyway. :smile: And I'd also have to find someone (dealer) to change the VIN / unlock it, which, I also bet would be a relatively significant cost. In the research I've done I've read some stories that folks couldn't find a dealer to do it, whether the dealer said it couldn't be done and wouldn't even try or just flat out refused.

Thanks again!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That aux button might be for an external CD changer or something. I tried to add an input by tapping into the CD wiring (saw this done on older models), wound up frying the CD drive :banghead: . I think the only real way is to replace it with an aftermarket HU.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am honestly not sure what the CD/AUX button does. A little google searching came up with this..

CD/AUX Button on '02 HeadUnit....What does AUX do?

Having read that, and other things around the internet, the AUX is designed for a external CD changer or Tape Deck. There is a adaptor to convert this to a audio in.. as indicated here..

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audio-Systems-835/2009/3/GM-Stereo-options-Aux.htm

CHEVROLET chevy auxiliary aux audio input interface GM12-AUXv2 silverado suburban

Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
TollKeeper said:

Sorry, this won't work. This is in the description:
Radios must have cd /aux and band button
It seems as though those of use that have the AM/FM button instead of the band button are very short on options.

bryan,

With any of the FM modulators, you have your radio tuned to a non broadcasting FM frequency (in the case of Sirius, you tune the Sirius unit to the same frequency) turn your whatever it is on and away you go. The iSimple will have instructions of how to set that part up. I don't have the iSimple, but the FM modulator part is the same type of thing I run my Sirius through.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online