A Weekend in the Garage!

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well, the fatherlord was out working in the yard for the weekend since we had the recent wind and snow storm so I took over the garage for the weekend. I had left over paint and tint from the last weekend job, and I picked up the Herculiner kit from Oreilly's. During the December NW meet Fishsticks got me sucked into the idea of using truck bed liner instead of painting it with ordinary paint. I was sold... haha

So, long story short, pulled the car in Saturday morning and got to work sanding taping washing and prepping.

Small touch, big difference!
P1080288.jpg

P1080293.jpg

While getting the side emblems taped off, I figured what the heck lets tint those mirror turn signals too. Got those all prepped as well. I used the air compressor to dry them off quicker, and well the black plastic piece inside shot out; oh hey, more area to light up! So I did it to the other one too. :tongue:
P1080292.jpg

I also painted up the front grille mesh so it now matches. The grey was really getting to me.... :crazy:
IMAG0175.jpg

Additionally attempted to clean out the headlights... the seal wasn't very tight on the bottom and I had muddy water shoot up into it last December. Only thing that bugs me on the car.

So, now he is finally the black beast I always wanted :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Im glad I went with the herculiner vs. paint. Durability as much as its a bit more rugged look haha. All thats left is the center guard, lights and roof lights. :wootwoot:

Working away! hahaha
P1080294.jpg

Work Station
IMAG0176.jpg

Before/Afters:
P1080286.jpg

P1080303.jpg

P1080289.jpg

P1080301.jpg

I will get outdoor pictures tomorrow. I did the second coat this morning and it is dumping here, so I wanted to give it at least 24 hours to cure before putting it out into the elements. Overall I think if you are contemplating painting the bottom trim of your TB do it. 100242391032x better.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

:wootwoot::thumbsup::biggrin:

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thank you!

And Roadie, yes they did more then help. I never smelt a thing while working. The xylene pre-wipe down was the strongest. My dad kept coming in to check on me and he would have to almost immediately leave because of the smell. Very strong stuff! We had the doors cracked for flow and periodically opened the garage doors, but kept it at a minimum with the rain and cold outside. Had lots of heaters going.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Love the side molding and the grill. Credits to fishsticks with the liner idea that stuff wont get that great faded grey color nonsense. Truck is looking good! :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Looks great! How did the tint turn out on the turn signals?

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
exactly! I didn't want to have to retouch the spray on all the time. The sides especially take a beating this time of year around here with all the sand. I hear it driving down the roads....

and the turn signals actually turned out pretty damn good imo, someone on here wanted video of led tinted tails in action so I was going to throw in the turn signals too. I did 4 coats, so just a hit of amber in direct light. Since I removed the black plastic thing it seems to throw a lot more light too.

What I don't get is there is no 'orange peel effect' on them.... the tail lights I had to sand the crap out of them and I still have texture. I didnt even sand the turn signals.... These are perfectly smooth... what gives?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
How warm was the garage? Depending on the temp it will flow better. If it is too warm the thinners evaporate too quickly an it doesn't flow as well.

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
thank you smitty!

the temperature in the garage was probably upper 40s MAYBE lower 50s... So not really considered warm in many states haha but here it is. With the garages cracked most of the time it had some fresh air flowing

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
wootown22 said:
the temperature in the garage was probably upper 40s MAYBE lower 50s... So not really considered warm in many states haha but here it is.

You can say that again! That is about as low as the temperature EVER gets down here! It got down into the high 50s last night and people were freaking out. I'm from Ohio originally, but I've been down in Florida for about 10 years now, and I'm used to the warmth now!!!:biggrin:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Yeah, I've got the 3M mask with the "organic vapor" cartridges in it, that I use for painting (as opposed to the one with the particulate filters in it, that I use for cutting/grinding/welding); and even in a closed up shop in the winter, I can paint stuff all afternoon and not smell anything (unless I get a whiff while adjusting the mask or something)...

Mike

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Love a woman who gets down and dirty on her truck.

Oh yea the truck looks great to. :biggrin:

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
Looks nice! I went the paint route when blacked out my TB. I used the Krylon Fusion and haven't had any problems with fading. I love the rims that's one thing I haven't touched yet but in the process!
Can't wait to see final pics!

Taz6056

Dec 21, 2011
I love the Bedliner look. Depending on your roof usage, you could do what I did, and bedliner the roof. Smell is terrible results are awesome, well worth the prep work. Nice lookin truck, bedliner and woman. GREAT job.

Marc.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks good. Well Done.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Nice work, Im going to do this to my 02 when it heads back to Seattle in late April. Tired of scratched bumpers and faded grey plastic, just gonna use bedliner and take care of it!

Reading your thread title made me laugh, my dad and I spent last weekend re-aligning our garage doors, replacing springs and pulleys, then replaced our 25 year old garage door openers. Holy crap, what a difference it made! Now I just wish my garage had the storage yours does, all my tools are in cases not nice rolling chests grrrr.:mad:

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Here are some pictures I took of the beast all cleaned up. Took advantage of the nice day and snapped some photos :smile:

Grindley-1080337.jpg

Grindley-1080338.jpg

Grindley-1080340.jpg

Grindley-1080339.jpg

Grindley-1080344.jpg

Grindley-1080343.jpg

Grindley-1080342.jpg

Grindley-1080345.jpg

Grindley-1080341.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
:offtopic: is you TB lifted or stock ride height other than the obvious wheel upgrade? My TB sites alot higher w/ roof rack removed than other stock TB's with roof rack still on mainly in the backend. Yours looks like the same stance but the wheels through it off a little. Just wondering if it was the way the '02's where set up and they changed the following years or maybe towing package.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
NighTblazer said:
:offtopic: is you TB lifted or stock ride height other than the obvious wheel upgrade? My TB sites alot higher w/ roof rack removed than other stock TB's with roof rack still on mainly in the backend. Yours looks like the same stance but the wheels through it off a little. Just wondering if it was the way the '02's where set up and they changed the following years or maybe towing package.

She has a 2.5" lift and 32" tires. Maybe you have been close to lowered TBs, towing package is on all if not most GMT360/370s

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
wootown22 said:
Working away! hahaha
P1080294.jpg

IMO this is the best pic I've seen of you, yes I seen some other and they/you looked good, but this one is just more REAL.

wootown22

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I think if the vehicle is older and has the original suspension setup like mine did, it can be lower then 'stock'. My stock springs in back were pretty compressed; and when I put on the lift it measured to be a bigger difference then just the rear spacers I put on. I have some pictures of it next to a stock one from a meet a while back.

Mines in the middle with Fishsticks giant on the left hahaha
P1080031.jpg

Why thank you Short Bus :biggrin: Working on my car and wearing my riding boots, I am in my happy place hahaha

NighTblazer said:

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
wootown22 said:
I think if the vehicle is older and has the original suspension setup like mine did, it can be lower then 'stock'. My stock springs in back were pretty compressed; and when I put on the lift it measured to be a bigger difference then just the rear spacers I put on. I have some pictures of it next to a stock one from a meet a while back.

Thanks wootown, I think my rear shocks where put in before I bought mine. Now that I think about it I have been having some floaty bumps with my front end telling me I need new shocks up front and with a lower front end would cause the rear to rise a little giving it the Muscle car stance it now has. I just looked at my out of date pics in my album and it sits more level than it currently is. Mental Note: update pics ASAP old gray trim looks like crap....

Oh just remembered what I was thinking when I saw your pics: I also painted my mirrors. It's a minor thing but I notice it everytime I look at them!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.