4x4 failure after sitting a while

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The Trailblazer is no longer the daily driver so it sits more than it used to. Past few times I've fired it up after it has sat a bit the 4x4 selector switch just blinks on 2HI for probably a good 20 seconds or so before going dark, although the red N is still faintly lit. Switching position makes the blinking light change to what is selected, but again just blinks for a while before going out. There is no action from the encoder motor or from the disconnect. No Service 4x4 light either.

Every time this has happened if I drive for a while (15 min or so) shut the truck off, and let it sit for several minutes, then typically next time I fire it up everything is OK. 4x4 engages on command, all modes function, everything. But it has to sit for a little while after being driven. Just turning it off and back on will still result in it being in a stupor. It'll probably be fine tomorrow since I drove it this evening and it acted stupid, but it was fine when I checked it again later.

I'm planning on crawling underneath it at some point and checking the wiring to the encoder, just in case it is corroded or something. Anything else in particular I should look for? I feel like it is just not getting feedback on what the current system status is, so it does nothing. Just a bit odd how it doesn't throw a service 4x4 light, although when the original 2002 TCCM died a few years ago the light never came on either until I pulled the fuse to try to reset it. I have a 2004 or 2005 TCCM in there by the way, installed back in 2012.

I don't want to dump much into this truck (as many here know it has terminal cancer), but I would like to get at least one more winter out of it. Plus, it has better tires for winter than my Silverado does. But a lot of good it would do me if in the middle of a snowstorm the 4x4 decides to not work!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Do you have the original switch in it or an updated one? Could be that simple.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
It is the original switch. Good point. Although I thought that the switch issues were it just randomly selecting modes more than anything.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
AFAIK they can just give up the ghost.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like the switch or the module/controller. Probably could pick one up at a pick-a-part.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I guess I had assumed the switch was OK since it "switched" modes (even when it did nothing).

I found a new one on ebay for $20, OEM. Or I can get a Dorman for $14 off Amazon but Dorman and electronics don't always seem to be a good idea.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
But with amazon you can return it pretty easy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak