4x4. Different tire sizes

trailblazin06

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
If i run 245-65-17 in the back and 265-65-17. With it mess up my 4x4 and if it does what parts will it mess up

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
If you have the different sizes up front and use 2wd you might be okay for a bit. On the rear axle or in 4wd is a no-no to me.
One tire will rotate more than the other.

Axle, differential, at a minimum, transfer case possibly in 4wd. The cost of new tires that match are worth it. Short term fix because you already sold it would be the only time I might think about running different sizes. The engineers will pitch in shortly.

Different sized tires is a tell tale giveaway the owner cheaped out on maintenance.

kkoether

Aug 18, 2013
trailblazin06 said:
If i run 245-65-17 in the back and 265-65-17. With it mess up my 4x4 and if it does what parts will it mess up

The transfer case would probably take the brunt of the abuse. The uneven distance traveled for each axle would most likely eat the clutches up in short order in 4 wheel drive. If you kept it in 2 wheel drive "Theoretically" you should not have a problem but I wouldn't do it for long especially if your not the only one driving the vehicle. Mistakes happen.

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Idk but I would think since you have a 06 your traction control and ST will go off like crazy, because you have speed sensors on each wheel and maybe your abs system.

kkoether

Aug 18, 2013
Rs8892 said:
Idk but I would think since you have a 06 your traction control and ST will go off like crazy, because you have speed sensors on each wheel and maybe your abs system.

Good point on the traction control. Our 04 Rainier doesn't have that so it never entered my mind. I know with the AWD on the Rainier you REALLY don't want to throw even a SLIGHTLY different sized tire on it or it starts doing weird stuff!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Matching tires are not too expensive...

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Me thinks the OP is hoping the 11 months of damage will just go away. So for a possible saving of few hundred dollars now I would guess a few thousands in repairs. Heck I see stock size tires on CL with pretty good tread all the time for cheap. No excuses for this.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Rs8892 said:
Me thinks the OP is hoping the 11 months of damage will just go away. So for a possible saving of few hundred dollars now I would guess a few thousands in repairs. Heck I see stock size tires on CL with pretty good tread all the time for cheap. No excuses for this.

Swap the tires around for the next 11 months so that the larger tires are now where the smaller tires were previously. This will reverse all the damage done, and in another 11 months your drivetrain will be just like new and you can install a matched set of tires... :thumbsup:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Why put such restrictions on yourself? You should be an equal-opportunity mocker... :biggrin:

Granted, there is no lack of stupid to keep you busy.

Numbnutz

Dec 11, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Swap the tires around for the next 11 months so that the larger tires are now where the smaller tires were previously. This will reverse all the damage done, and in another 11 months your drivetrain will be just like new and you can install a matched set of tires... :thumbsup:

And I have some nice waterfront property I can sell you real cheap.......:biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli