4.2L LT Respray

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
My newest project! That's right! Now that we're done with dumping a ton of cash into the engine and transmittion, we're focusing on the body. Why? Because I've got a clear coat issue at the moment and it's spreading like a virus throughout my Trailblazer's factory paint job.. I've identified a few area's that require a bit of "touching up" as well. Minor dents, dings and what have you..

Anywho, before I order my paint, I've got a question for you guys.. How hard is it to both take the doors off and reinstall them? If I were to spray a different color, I'd obviously have to focus a great deal of attention to my door-jams and I've already been warned that it can become quite the pain in the butt should I choose to go that route.

If I deem that it's too risky/difficult to do, I'll stick with my original emerald green... I suppose I'm just open for options here! Have any of you done any spray work to your trucks before? If you've laid down paint before, I want to ask you to jump on board with me here. Any and all input is appreciated!

I WILL be posting pictures and videos throughout our sessions in the spray booth, and if you know me you're aware of how I go about recording LIVE as I work. Pretty fun stuff people, let me know you're here with me! -Octane

Project "Solas" is still being prepped for those of you that may run across this and want to know. We'll get to that at a later time!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Well spraying a jamb on these trucks is no different than any other vehicle. If you have plenty of paint knowledge and know how to properly tape off,prep and spray door jambs its no problem. my painter sprayed mine with little to no issues,scuffing them with scuffing pads is the best action to a proper prepping job also and making sure anything u dont want painted is taped off(rubber gasket for wiring etc)

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
My question is, though, how hard would it be to get the doors back on after I take them off? They say having them realigned can be a complete and total kick in the face to do. Anyone ever done it?

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Ive never done it,but I can promise you it would be just as easy with them on as with them off. and you wont risk any damage from re assembly.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
seems like overall, as a first step, you may want to choose what you plan to remove and paint under, and what you will mask and paint around.:undecided:

(too late to paint the inside of the engine compartment with the engine removed:smile:):smile:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
OctaneRider03 said:
My question is, though, how hard would it be to get the doors back on after I take them off? They say having them realigned can be a complete and total kick in the face to do. Anyone ever done it?

Never done it myself, but I have watched the bodymen in the shop several times. Sometimes they have to line up the fenders to get the spacing on the doors correct. It can be an art form.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
The paint total cost will be close to $430.. I haven't factored in the cost of clear coat however. How many coats of clear should I lay down I wonder? I know if too many layers of clear get sprayed down it'll start to "sag and droop".. Two or three should be good..

I honestly can't remember where I read the article at, otherwise I'd be right here throwing it in your face. So, I suppose we'll just have to take a chance with these door jambs. I'm seeing a lot of smaller individual bolts and screws that make me double check my tool inventory haha! I just don't want to be "that guy" who manages to pull the doors off and screws himself royally.. -Octane

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
never used a spray gun myself. wish i would have learned the art.
many years back, in high school, i bought a AMC AMX, it was purple.
my mom did not want me driving around in a purple car, so i took it Earl Schieb. (69.95 any color)
went w/ silver, took 2 coats. (masked or removed anything i did not want painted)
they did do the jams also, they just masked the interior and doors off.
it looked good and held up well. :twocents:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
After observing the over all set up for my jambs, I decided to back off. This will be my first spray project, and with that in mind I don't want to jump in the ring with gloves and "pretend" I can box. SO, we're going to be sticking with the original factory colors. I had my hopes up for a while that we'd eventually be able to change to a metallic black, but again I'm not a professional. I don't want to risk taking the doors off and potentially not being able to put them back on correctly.

We're doing this project with new team members. For those of you that remember Mike, he won't be taking part in this one. He'll be in the background ordering me parts instead :wink: Completely new atmosphere, folks! Once we start to broadcast live again, we'll be doing it from a spray booth/body shop on Camp Lejeune (United States Marine Corps Base)

Hope to see you guys then, GMTN! -Octane

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
After observing the over all set up for my jambs, I decided to back off. This will be my first spray project, and with that in mind I don't want to jump in the ring with gloves and "pretend" I can box. SO, we're going to be sticking with the original factory colors. I had my hopes up for a while that we'd eventually be able to change to a metallic black, but again I'm not a professional. I don't want to risk taking the doors off and potentially not being able to put them back on correctly.

We're doing this project with new team members. For those of you that remember Mike, he won't be taking part in this one. He'll be in the background ordering me parts instead :wink: Completely new atmosphere, folks! Once we start to broadcast live again, we'll be doing it from a spray booth/body shop on Camp Lejeune (United States Marine Corps Base)

Hope to see you guys then, GMTN! -Octane

You are lucky. the auto hobby shop at Ft Belvoir does not have a paint booth.

looking forward to the updates.

seems to be lots of web info on painting, selection, how many coats.....

I looked at the web site for the shop, and they say one person in the booth, no cell phones... how you going to webcast???

(you plan to bend the rules?)

:smile:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
meerschm said:
You are lucky. the auto hobby shop at Ft Belvoir does not have a paint booth.

looking forward to the updates.

seems to be lots of web info on painting, selection, how many coats.....

I looked at the web site for the shop, and they say one person in the booth, no cell phones... how you going to webcast???

(you plan to bend the rules?)

:smile:

You know me.. I do my homework before I make my bets.. The guys that run the shop are good friends of mine, and they're aware of my plans to broadcast to you guys here at the Nation.. They're prior Marines, we take care of our own, right?

I'm about to post a video for y'all, hang tight! -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Here you go! -Octane

[video=youtube_share;upTsM-e5l4U]http://youtu.be/upTsM-e5l4U[/video]

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
To all my loyal GMTN friends, I'm calling you back out.. C-ya, Voymom, Phantom, Mooseman, Sparky and May03LT.. Show yourselves! -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
To all my loyal GMTN friends, I'm calling you back out.. C-ya, Voymom, Phantom, Mooseman, Sparky and May03LT.. Show yourselves! -Octane

I havent gone anywhere! As far as your clear coat problem goes your not alone. My truck has the same issue in the same place including the drivers door. Im getting the beast painted beginning of this year some time and cannot wait! The peeling clear coat is so embarassing.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know nothing about painting a vehicle. Except that when I tried doing some primer on my old car a while back I did it all wrong and it just flaked back off :crazy:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I dont know much about painting a vehicle either.....but I will watch if you live stream so I can pick on everyone again lol :wink:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
This wasn't a call for advice there people! Hah, I just wanted you to know that I'm still here and alive! I've missed you guys damnit!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
This wasn't a call for advice there people! Hah, I just wanted you to know that I'm still here and alive! I've missed you guys damnit!

Lol well you were the one that has been mia! Any ideas on if your going to keep the same paint colors or going different?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moose comin' at ya! I just got mine back from the shop after my fender bender a couple weeks back. Also had the roof rack taken off, rust spots fixed and also got a new tailgate to replace the rusted out one. Still have a couple of issues to have addressed and some detailing to be done.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Ugh... Dude I can't figure it out! I KNOW I want metallic black but I'm too nervous about the door jambs! We got any tutorials on hood and door removal?

I'm all about taking chances, but in this case time is literally money.

I can rip a motor to pieces, drop a tranny in your face, but absolutely CANNOT do vehicle cosmetics. This will be a first for me and I'm glad to say I'm currently soaking up all the knowledge I can get. If you believe in failure, you'll undoubtably fail. You've gotta get your feet wet somehow so here we go!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Ugh... Dude I can't figure it out! I KNOW I want metallic black but I'm too nervous about the door jambs! We got any tutorials on hood and door removal?

I'm all about taking chances, but in this case time is literally money.

I can rip a motor to pieces, drop a tranny in your face, but absolutely CANNOT do vehicle cosmetics. This will be a first for me and I'm glad to say I'm currently soaking up all the knowledge I can get. If you believe in failure, you'll undoubtably fail. You've gotta get your feet wet somehow so here we go!

if it was me, and I wanted it black, black it would be. paint the door edges, hood edges, engine compartment (if you like) tailgate, and door jambs with a basic black, and then go to town on the exterior. hell, use rusoleum spray cans (regular or automotive just prep as good as you can) on the parts you will only see in passing, and then no stress about the allignment. shoot for a matte finish, or use one of the rustoleum texture options. I cannot see the benefit of clear coat on these surfaces.

focus your energy on the exterior, and prep. Your car, you deserve what you want!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not to discourage you or anything. If you are painting it black, the body has to be absolutely perfect as it will show all imperfections. Years ago, when I fixed up my '83 Blazer, I painted it white just because I knew my bodywork was crap. It actually turned out pretty decent.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
I forgot to mention to you guys that we'll be doing a little bit of filling and sanding with certain areas.. As much as I hate to do this, I'm actually going to have to hammer down on a ding or two causing them to become bigger, only to fill them in and sand over them... Fantastic. Bring on the black flag again.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
mapanch said:
Surprised that JosueLT didn't drop in on this thread. He's a bodyman, might be able to offer you some insight.

View Profile: JosueLT - GMTNation

It appears that you've called him out. I suppose that he'll leave his input should he see fit to do so! Thanks man! -Octane

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today, I saw a crossover (a F***) that was painted in black metallic and it looks great and different. I had seen metallic smoke before but is just a dark grey. I think this will be sweet.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I think im gonna have to wait on my paint job this spring. I have bigger fish to fry as I have a fuel system issue and cant find it lol Been throwing money at it trying to fix it but nothing so far has worked. Hopefully the new lead I got from the members here will be the final fix and I can still plan on getting it painted on time.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
It's looking like metallic black will be my poison.. Picture this, this interior is already black and gold (champagne, whatever), the exterior is metallic green and champagne... It's going to look sick after it's done! I can't wait!

Tammy, I wish I knew what the root to your evil is, but unfortunately it seems to me that it could have something to do with your cylinders and over-all combustion. It's too hard to say at this point, but my guess is for sure engine internals...

The doors are coming off.. We're looking at starting this project towards the end of this month so hang tight guys!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
By the way, you guys should see the cute little paint suit and mask I'll get to put on... Pretty funny stuff!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
It's looking like metallic black will be my poison.. Picture this, this interior is already black and gold (champagne, whatever), the exterior is metallic green and champagne... It's going to look sick after it's done! I can't wait!

Tammy, I wish I knew what the root to your evil is, but unfortunately it seems to me that it could have something to do with your cylinders and over-all combustion. It's too hard to say at this point, but my guess is for sure engine internals...

The doors are coming off.. We're looking at starting this project towards the end of this month so hang tight guys!

If that's the case I will just drive it until it blows up lol and then I will find someone to try and stick an LS2 crate motor in it. Or at least something with a bit more muscle and roar. This truck is my baby...no matter what the issue is, it's not going anywhere.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We share a common mindset, ma'am. :smile:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
We share a common mindset, ma'am. :smile:

I'm glad I'm not alone.....I'm tired of being the only crazy one around here lol :raspberry:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
This is my Trailblazer (in your case Envoy). There are many like it, but this one is MINE. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Trailblazer is useless. Without my Trailblazer, I am useless. I must drive my Trailblazer true. I must cruise straighter than the car who is driving beside me. I must pass him before he passes me. I will. My Trailblazer and I know that what counts in traffic is not the miles we drive, the noise of our exhaust, or the engine roar we make. We know that it is how we roll that counts. We will roll.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Everything I touch turns to gold... If you're reading this, you're gonna love this. I post an insane amount of photos and videos. I also broadcast live over the Internet while I do my work. If you guys can hang with me, I'll bring you results here in about a week and a half once we roll it in the bay to begin prepping. You'll see.

I'm thinking about posting another video... Then again, I'm in the mood to go live too.. If I broadcast here in a little while, will you guys be there to watch? -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
I'll discuss that in just a few minutes my friend. Hang loose while I set up my phone to broadcast live. I'll be posting a link here in a little while that you'll be able to go to either from your computer, or smartphone and actually see and hear me as I discuss what's to come! Don't worry by the way, I won't be able to see or hear YOU. Voymom and Moose know what I'm talking about.

I've found it as an easier way to connect myself with all of you guys here at the Nation. It's also a neat little tool I use when I'm stuck on something that I can't seem to figure out as I work. People can literally call me while I'm on camera and tell me exactly how to fix my problem.

The time currently is 9:48 here on the east coast! I go live at 10:00. Stand by..

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online

No members online now.