Feb 3, 2012

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 138

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
For those of you that were there with me during the live feed actively asking questions and leaving commentary, I really appreciate it! If you have any more questions please feel free to leave a post here on the thread! -Octane

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Here and watching. Don't have much to offer, except I know a P&B guy in Charleston that may be available for consultation if you want to bounce anything off him.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I figured I'd throw in my two cents.
It was mentioned the clearcoat was peeling. I remember this from years ago and there was a reason for it FROM THE FACTORY (they screwed up), but can't remember what it was. Maybe you could stop at a GM dealer and pick a body mans brain a bit?
Make sure you sand, sand and then sand some more.
As far as dings, some manufacturers make 'thick' primer. You have to make sure it will work with the type of paint you're using, but a few coats will make very minor dings unnoticeable. It's even made in 'rattle can'.
I wouldn't take the doors off. Remove the door panels, mask well and spray.
Best of luck, I'll be following when you're live.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354123968.683998.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354123968.683998.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 107

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
That looks way better than the stupid bunny suits we get for fiberglass working with the NAVY. Going to be nice to see final results.

I did read your other thread about the head replacement (yes all of it), must say you have gotten deeper down the rabbit hole than most people are willing to go. Working with a bunch of ex military (mostly Marines) I have learned some things, Marines have this insane drive to do things, sometimes for no reason. I value the knowledge that I have gained both in life and working on helo's,working with these guys. Thank you for for your service.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
What can I say, we're a crazy bunch man! Absolutely, I love knowing that I serve good people such as yourself! I'll be sure to post pictures towards the end!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Black... Is everywhere....... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

WAKING UP, WITH JUST ONE THING IN MIIIIIND! EYES SOWN SHUT, SO TEAR THEM OPEN WIIIIIDEEE!!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Sorry about that, had a brief moment of craziness there. I'm blasting Bullet for my Valentine's "Begging For Mercy" right now as I take a break from spraying.. Things are looking good so far!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Sorry about that, had a brief moment of craziness there. I'm blasting Bullet for my Valentine's "Begging For Mercy" right now as I take a break from spraying.. Things are looking good so far!

You going to wait till the clear coat dries to update the color in your profile?

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
HAHAHAHA!! Maybe so!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
There's going to be a halt on the spray job for a few weeks. We've sprayed the doors and hood, as well as the front fenders. It's going to take time regardless.

With Christmas time coming around the corner, I'm having to assert money towards gifts and such for family! Don't worry though, pictures will follow in time! The clear coat hasn't gone on yet, just A LOT of black. Hang in there, folks. We'll have tons of feedback and videos coming your way! The paint dries relatively quickly so once we're good tonight we're pulling it out and throwing it in the garage..

Back into seclusion I go for another five weeks lol! -Octane

Hey, have a Merry Christmas Nation! Be safe and blessed, enjoy time with your families and close friends!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
There's going to be a halt on the spray job for a few weeks. We've sprayed the doors and hood, as well as the front fenders. It's going to take time regardless.

With Christmas time coming around the corner, I'm having to assert money towards gifts and such for family! Don't worry though, pictures will follow in time! The clear coat hasn't gone on yet, just A LOT of black. Hang in there, folks. We'll have tons of feedback and videos coming your way! The paint dries relatively quickly so once we're good tonight we're pulling it out and throwing it in the garage..

Back into seclusion I go for another five weeks lol! -Octane

Hey, have a Merry Christmas Nation! Be safe and blessed, enjoy time with your families and close friends!

hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and happy visits all around. see you next year!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Soon.... :wink: -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Ah, I can't sleep! I'm pumped about being able to get back behind the gun soon! Hurry the heck up Christmas! I'm ready to spray!

If any of you are awake tonight, leave a chirp or two my way! -Octane

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Ah, I can't sleep! I'm pumped about being able to get back behind the gun soon! Hurry the heck up Christmas! I'm ready to spray!

If any of you are awake tonight, leave a chirp or two my way! -Octane

Cannot wait to see results. I would have probably been up but have to go into work today at 8. Going to was a 53E for pre phase, ugh big old dirty pos.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
You'll have to elaborate a little further with me on this.. 53E? Pre phase?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
You'll have to elaborate a little further with me on this.. 53E? Pre phase?

I'm not sure what Pre Phase is but 53E must be the CH-53E SUPER STALLION™ Helicopter

The three-engined CH-53E aircraft is the most powerful helicopter in the U.S. military inventory. The SUPER STALLION helicopter is designed for 73,500 lb. with external loads. It's the only helicopter that can lift the 155mm howitzer, its crew and ammunition. It can lift aircraft as heavy as itself. The CH-53E SUPER STALLION helicopter is deployed with U.S. Marine Corps heavy lift helicopter squadrons, and is an essential part of the composite squadrons serving aboard USMC amphibious assault ships.

Just a guess...

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Okay Denali! You ass! Hahaha, when I read that I completely disregarded my initial thought, which was in fact the super stallion! I've flown on them both Afghanistan and Marine Corps Air Station Yuma!

You told me you worked on helo's, I didn't know you still did TO THIS DAY! I'm a V-22 death trap kind of guy myself! Those few seconds of rotor tilt give me an adrenaline rush like no other. It falls over 30 feet per second or something like that! Get some!

I thought the guy was talking about working on Ford economy's LOL

MY BAD!!

Denali old friend, how are you this fine morning?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Okay Denali! You ass! Hahaha, when I read that I completely disregarded my initial thought, which was in fact the super stallion! I've flown on them both Afghanistan and Marine Corps Air Station Yuma!

I thought the guy was talking about working on Ford economy's LOL

MY BAD!!

Denali old friend, how are you this fine morning?

I'll bet flying in one of those 53E's was quite an experience. I've only ever flown in a helicopter once and I thought that was pretty cool. Since I was a kid I've loved planes and helicopters. We lived in Lincolnshire England on a farm, lots of RAF bases around there, I think they called it bomber county, lancasters were mostly based there, back then anyway. Quite often they they would fly (training) over the farm maybe only 2500-3000ft above the valley shaking the ground. The F4 Phantoms were usually the ones flying over but I seen Harriers and even a Vulcan once. The last time we visited my dad rented a plane and we flew around the area looking for all those airfields from the sky, some still in use but lots abandoned.

Where are you and what are you doing today?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Yep CH-53 that may have helped lol. Phase is periodical maintenance to the extreme, removal of components and checking the overall aircraft. Cannot remember the hourly want to say every 200 hours for the 53. We do have a few v-22's as part of our squadron but they are located in a different hangar.

If cars had the maintenance requirement that AC had they would never break.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Denali, are you originally from the UK man? Harriers are still in use today, we have them in the Marine Corps, watching them take off is pretty intense!

I'm actually on Camp Lejeune right now, I just got off a 24 hour duty so here sooner than later, I'll be taking a few hours of shut eye.

Guys, this is MY thread that I created for US I.e., you all. I've said earlier that we're taking a break from the respray at the moment until 2013. So, with that in mind, I say that chit chat on the thread as of now is wide open. I love hearing from you guys. People will be able to breeze past what is said and get right to the meat and potatoes once I begin uploading pictures and videos, I promise!

You're family to me. If I recall, some of you we're around when I was ripping my truck's engine to pieces on my other thread. Glad to have you aboard here. I'm sure Roadie or any other mod won't mind us talking here. By this time they should know me by now. If they do, they know that I bring results and document EVERYTHING. -Octane

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Denali, are you originally from the UK man? Harriers are still in use today, we have them in the Marine Corps, watching them take off is pretty intense!

I'm actually on Camp Lejeune right now, I just got off a 24 hour duty so here sooner than later, I'll be taking a few hours of shut eye.

Guys, this is MY thread that I created for US I.e., you all. I've said earlier that we're taking a break from the respray at the moment until 2013. So, with that in mind, I say that chit chat on the thread as of now is wide open. I love hearing from you guys. People will be able to breeze past what is said and get right to the meat and potatoes once I begin uploading pictures and videos, I promise!

You're family to me. If I recall, some of you we're around when I was ripping my truck's engine to pieces on my other thread. Glad to have you aboard here. I'm sure Roadie or any other mod won't mind us talking here. By this time they should know me by now. If they do, they know that I bring results and document EVERYTHING. -Octane

Yep was born in England, Grimsby to be exact. Bomber county "Lincolnshire" had 100's of airfields in WW2 because of it's proximity to Germany. Some were dummie airfields and some just for emergency landings. One air field in Carnaby was an emergency landing strip, 2 miles long 700' wide, they had gas burners installed the full length of the runway. If someone needed to emergency in foggy conditions they would lite the burners and lift the fog, revealing the air strip, I always thought that was pretty cool. The famous Dam-buster raids were flown from there and the Red Arrows are from there too.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
That's awesome man! And to imagine that you are so knowledgeable of your surroundings' history! Way too cool bro!

We'll be picking back up on the spray job here within the next few days. I suspect that we should be done by the end of this month. I know it's a little longer than we originally planned for, but the holiday season literally ripped a hole in my pockets as well as my wallet!

Anywho, the truck has been fully sanded, and we applied a base coat to the two front finders and hood. Also, I filled in a bunch of dents and dings, so right now, it's a not-so-shiny trailblazer with a partially black front end. Pretty funny if you think about it! :smile:

I know you guys are dying to see the pictures, but if you can just bare with me for just a little longer, I'll supply the goods. :wink:

In the meantime, I'm going to post a video I took of the booth I'm spraying in. It's not long, but you get the point. Most people have never actually seen a legit spray booth, so I hooked it up for you! -Octane

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds good, can't wait for pics. :thumbsup:

Now that you say it, I wish I could have snagged a few pics of the paint booth at the VH-71 (new cancelled Pres helo) hangar. Laser Guided automated stripping, painting, and finishing. Massive piece of equipment, booth was I want to say 75' deep and 40' wide. It was truly an impressive piece of machinery.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
[video=youtube_share;TfcYfVXEyMo]http://youtu.be/TfcYfVXEyMo[/video]

Enjoy all ten seconds of that video, lol! This is what the inside looks like. Not too shabby if I don't say so myself! -Octane

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
:thumbsup: Looks like a paint booth. Wish we had access to one, even a pay for use one would be nice. Really sucks that as a contractor our access to things on base is limited. I am lucky my mom's, BF is retired AF, so he gets me in the drill hall and auto shop. Unfortunately the auto shop is only open 3 days during the week and on Sat, and Sun until 5pm. So that place is always packed.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
That's awesome that you're a contractor though man! Once I get out of the Marines, I hope to do contracting for a private security firm overseas. There's big money in that!

Wish you could be here for the respray! You should come down to Camp Lejeune one weekend and check it out!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
That's awesome that you're a contractor though man! Once I get out of the Marines, I hope to do contracting for a private security firm overseas. There's big money in that!

Wish you could be here for the respray! You should come down to Camp Lejeune one weekend and check it out!

I love it, like I said in the other thread I work with a bunch of ex military mostly marines in the shop I was in. Now we have our designated line shack without the maintenance requirement for now. Its awesome, but at the same time it sucks as house values here are outrageous and it doe not help that we are in such close proximity to DC, The Pentagon and all of the defense workers in Arlington/Alexandria, and we have a Nuclear Plant about 20 miles north. Of course that has also expanded our area to an immense proportion.

I would love to do a road trip right now, my work schedule just sucks 1500-2330 Mon-Fri, and weekends are really the only time I get to spend with my fiancee.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Thus goes the story of life man, haha! Well, if you're up for a good road trip around the end of this month, you're more than welcomed to come down here and get your hands on the gun for a little while! two sets of hands are always better than one! Not to mention, I could use another body to tackle covering the panels!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Even with a respirator on it still screws me up. Cough cough... Before I know it everything'll be spinning...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online