4.2 swap or fix?

silver007

Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
GA
If you had an 07 2wd with a supposedly spun crank bearing would you try and fix it or go ahead and replace it with a used engine?

I reckon it's got to come out either way and I'd like to have the other engine there ready to go if fixing this one is not feasible.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
First, be sure the crank bearing is bad. If so, it will cost a lot of money to rebuild it, plus the labor pulling it in and out. See how the prices match your budget for rebuilt/new.
You might see what you can find in the junk yard.

silver007

Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
GA
After reading and listening to a bad lash adjuster I'm wondering. Any advice on narrowing it down? The noise travels all over, seems to be loudest at the bottom rear. Was hoping for cracked flexplate but it looks perfect.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Rebuilding an engine with a spun bearing is gonna be more expensive. You didn't mention if you suspect a rod or main bearing. If the latter, the block may not even be rebuildable due to the damaged bearing saddle in the block or be even more expensive to try and fix it with some line boring and special bearings (if available) to keep the crank at the same position. With either, you would likely also need a new crank.

It's a 12 year old truck so not likely not even worth that kind of money. I'd just throw a used engine in it.

Reactions: mrrsm and TJBaker57

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online