2015 Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon NA-Version

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its a diesel they were going to roll out just before bankruptcy. Its a Isuzu built 4.5 litre DuraMax light duty V-8. 1 month before it was to be sent into production, it got canned in a "financial securing move" what ever the hell that means. Its been sitting on the shelf since. I was chomping at the bit to get ahold of one of them, back when I was working for GM. But alas, bankruptcy, and a lay off happened.

The EcoDiesel in the Ram was also built for GM to be put into the European Cadi CTS. Also canned at bankruptcy. It has been used in the EU for 3 years now in other vehicles, so it is a proven diesel. But our EPA restrictions are tighter than the EU's. They are hoping to NOT have problems with the DEF systems, and other EPA BS.

Notice the date on this article regarding the light duty GM Diesel.

More Bad News: GM Shelving Plans to Build New 4.5L Diesel Truck Engine

Then they talked again about bringing it back out a year later..

GM Rumored to be Interested in Light-Duty Diesel Again, Good Idea?

The official "scrapping" announcement.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/news/busin...t-duty-45l-duramax-diesel-on-indefinite-hold/

As far as I can tell, that was the last time this engine was talked about. I would be so happy to see one in a 1500 Sierra. But GM has always had a very nasty habbit of trashing something just when they perfected it. The Pontiac G8, the Pontiac Fiero are just a few examples of GM's pure ignorance to their buyers needs/wants.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Wait, people wanted post-70s Pontiacs? :rotfl:

I think diesels should have made it into smaller light-duty applications years ago. While they can provide tons of torque if the full-size light/medium duty applications, there are uses in the small stuff, too, whether it be a more-powerful engine option or generally superior (in some cases quite so) fuel mileage. The extra 40-80 cents per gallon can usually be offset by the actual amount of fuel not used in getting from point A to point B. If you're just a normal Joe who doesn't need to hot-rod everywhere, diesel is a perfectly valid (and sometimes the smarter) choice of engine.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
IllogicTC said:

I think diesels should have made it into smaller light-duty applications years ago. While they can provide tons of torque if the full-size light/medium duty applications, there are uses in the small stuff, too, whether it be a more-powerful engine option or generally superior (in some cases quite so) fuel mileage. The extra 40-80 cents per gallon can usually be offset by the actual amount of fuel not used in getting from point A to point B. If you're just a normal Joe who doesn't need to hot-rod everywhere, diesel is a perfectly valid (and sometimes the smarter) choice of engine.

And if you tie the longer maintenance points.. The new Ram Diesel is setup to only need am oil change once every DEF fill up. About 10k mile.s

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
IllogicTC said:

We were just in Costa Rica and I'd say over 1/2 of the trucks and SUV's were diesel. I talked to the person we were visiting (She had a Toyota Fortuner diesel - like a 4 Runner here in the states). She said they used to subsedize the diesel fuel, so it was 1/2 the cost of unleaded. Not so now, but with the diesel she gets 44 mpg over 26 that a gas model would give. So her $$ goes farther. And with the cost of cars over there, you need to do that as much as you can (A Honda Pilot was $54,700 US Dollars).

Again the USA is behind the world. These are great looking vehicles (the new Colorado) and to dismiss a diesel because they think it wont sell, well that's just short sighted. But who would expect less from the company that green lighted the Aztec :crazy:

Chris

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
silverunicorn said:
We were just in Costa Rica and I'd say over 1/2 of the trucks and SUV's were diesel. I talked to the person we were visiting (She had a Toyota Fortuner diesel - like a 4 Runner here in the states). She said they used to subsedize the diesel fuel, so it was 1/2 the cost of unleaded. Not so now, but with the diesel she gets 44 mpg over 26 that a gas model would give. So her $$ goes farther. And with the cost of cars over there, you need to do that as much as you can (A Honda Pilot was $54,700 US Dollars).

Again the USA is behind the world. These are great looking vehicles (the new Colorado) and to dismiss a diesel because they think it wont sell, well that's just short sighted. But who would expect less from the company that green lighted the Aztec :crazy:

Chris

It's not so much that we're behind the times, it's that America is obsessed with emissions. We change the emissions regulations every year and the manufacturers don't want (or can't) keep up with our regulations. It's ridiculous, I hate it, and I would really like to get my hands on some awesome diesels that other countries get.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One European dude got really bent out of shape when I mentioned our emissions standards are tighter than theirs. He took that as an insult because the USA is most certainly "dirtier" than the EU, we have a love of V8 cars and evil SUVs here after all! Then I pointed him to the information and he just about had a meltdown as his whole world imploded :rotfl:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I hate the way diesels sound at idle. Just don't like it. Although the engines do last forever it seems.

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
hayes said:
It's not so much that we're behind the times, it's that America is obsessed with emissions. We change the emissions regulations every year and the manufacturers don't want (or can't) keep up with our regulations. It's ridiculous, I hate it, and I would really like to get my hands on some awesome diesels that other countries get.

I thought Diesels were exempt from emissions testing. They are in PA I think.

Chris

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not the federal standards though.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
jrSS said:
I hate the way diesels sound at idle. Just don't like it. Although the engines do last forever it seems.

Modern diesels aren't so bad... I like the way the sounds, but most small displacement diesels you can't tell they are diesel.

silverunicorn said:
I thought Diesels were exempt from emissions testing. They are in PA I think.

Chris

Not in CO.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I like the diesel sound :biggrin:

I still want to shoehorn a Duramax in a GMT360 somehow, someday. When I'm made of money. Yeah.

hayes

Oct 6, 2013
I don't know about a duramax, but a 4Bt would be pretty cool. There is a conversion I read about, but I can't find the page... I will keep looking.

Back to topic, I really dig these. I will seriously consider the Colorado with a diesel.

Porkins

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
[video=youtube_share;HS58CE-99oU]http://youtu.be/HS58CE-99oU[/video]

Reactions: dmanns67

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Sparky said:
Makes sense since this is the "small truck" segment. Usually if you need an 8 ft you get the full size.

I'd like to see a new gen Trailblazer based on this chassis and look. Not the 1st gen traverse-on-steroids looking thing they have currently in Brazil or wherever they are selling it right now.
Sign me up if they bring something like this to market. Don't want that overblown Equinox looking thing they are selling overseas . Don't bother if that's all they have.

2015-chevrolet-trailblazer-rendered-72811_1.jpg

Reactions: silverunicorn

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Over the last few months I've really been thinking about going with the Canyon. I LOVE my TB but I'm still on the fence just waiting on more specs to be released and getting a more personal look when they arrive at the dealer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.