2005 Envoy Transmission connector Pinout?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Can anyone post this up? I don't have my full Envoy OEM manuals anymore and I want to compare the pinout of the transmission from a 2005 Envoy to a 2006 Escalade. I know the Escalade has 5 pinion plantetary gears and some beefed up parts but I want to know if I could temporarily put the Envoy's 4060E in the Escalade for a month or so while I rebuild the Escalades transmission. It would be nice if the electrical was the same and I could just plug the Escalades wiring harness directly in.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found these at Charm:

If the Caddy has the 4L80:

I do know that the 4L80 is significantly different and doesn't interchange with the 4L60 without changing physical stuff like the mount and driveshaft.

Last edited:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Thanks Mooseman

Luckily, my 2006 Escalade has RPO code M32 which is listed as:

4L60E HD

Which is what they called 4l65Es at the beginning.
(The 4L80E was RPO code MT1)

So it's the same case and will physically fit but I wanted to know if the electronics are the same.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

EDIT: Looks the same to me, I think I can drop this 4l60E in place of the 4L65E. The gears and shafts inside aren't as HD but the computer won't know there is a difference. Should be a good temp replacement when I want to pull the 65E out for rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJBaker57

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure that even the 4L65 and 4L70 are the same, just some beefed up internals to survive behind the 6.0L. From teardowns I've seen on YT, they're the same.

A quick search gave me this:

The 4L65E shares the same exterior parts but have stronger internals such as 5 pinion planets compared to 4 in the 4L60E. 4L60E uses a 6.5" depth bell with 6 bolts for non gen 3 LS applications and a 7" depth bell with 7 bolts for LS applications. The 4L65E/70E uses a 7" depth bell and 7 bolts.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Interesting!

So I may have to swap the front bell to get this 4L60E from the 4.2litre LL8 to work behind the V8.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely the bellhousing is different as well as the torque converter however I have heard of people with a V8 using the 4.2 TC since it has a higher stall speed. Even the starter isn't on the same side. And no drag racing neither :biggrin:

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Yep, no drag racing and no towing but I'm thinking the 4L65E in the Escalade will need a refresh in the next year or so and this way the vehicle can keep running while I spend a few weekends in the garage working on the trans.

I'd like to get proficient enough that I could start on a Saturday morning, pull a trans, rebuild it and have it back in the vehicle running by Sunday night. Two long days from start to finish, maybe 20 hours?

I think the last rebuild was close to 24 hours just for the trans part and the last swap was 12 hours? So I've got to up my game a bit. I spend a fair amount of time checking and rechecking where all the parts from the kit go to make sure I don't get to the end and have an o-ring left over. I think repetition will help with confidence and speed. I've built a bunch of jigs, jacks and supports for the swap portion so I think the next one may be in the 8 hour range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giggy

Members Online