2002 TB 4.2 died at stop & immediate restart

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Maybe try cleaning the throttle again and resetting the PCM by disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuses for 30 minutes while cleaning.
I wish that the problem, if you can call it that, was not so intermittent that it only happened that one time. I have a list of things advised here to try but may not know which one thing might have fixed the 1 time problem.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I feel, after this much time has gone by, that I need to update the members here about this very very intermittent one time issue with my girl's TB. I have driven the vehicle and she continues to drive the vehicle and there has not been a repeat of the listed problem. I have ran fuel pressure tests and checked all connections I can think of. I still want to check the grounds that @TJBaker57 shared with me. I have also attached my Foxwell scanner and found no history that points to any problems. No misfire history at all. I did find some oil seepage stain from the valve cover gasket, we add no oil between changes, so I plan to replace that seal and then get a very good look at those grounds I mentioned. I am also considering throwing cam and crank sensors at it as well. I do remember that when I did the spark plugs on it, right after purchase a year ago, I found 2 of the 6 ignition coil assemblies had been replaced and found no history for that in the CarFax report. We have now owned the TB for almost 1 year. Thanks for all input here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do replace the crank sensor, be aware that you will need a CASE relearn if your Foxwell is capable of doing it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Quality (and corruption) of the Fuel in the Tank cannot be discounted. The Worst Days to "Fill Up The Tank" at any Gas Station are always when one can see the presence of the Giant Tankers arriving to replenish the underground Fuel Tanks at such places. When the Suppliers are pumping in the New Fuel... they often manage to stir up enough turbulence to disturb the Residual Water Condensate, Dirt and Debris that will invariably either form up, collect and settle down within the Large Tanks... and this agitated Junk from the bottom of the Tank(s) may manage to pass through their overworked filtration systems.

This Stuff may wind up inside of the Average Gas Tanks... and bring in problems along with the New Fuel. Coupled with this is the presence of the addition of Ethanol that might accidentally wind up getting pumped into a Regular Gas Tank (See Post #47 Image) ...by an occasional accident of a Bad Choice of Pumps. A thoughtful discussion with "The Lil' Woman" might reveal such an incident if she also adds Fuel in The Tank from time to time... :>)

Most Fuel Stations alert people to expect this with a not so subtle warning posted here and there at the Pumps. Regardless... The Favorite Fuel & Water Emulsifier of Choice...is Chevron Techron. Without going Crazy....an occasional Heavy Dose of this stuff will eliminate occasional *Fuel Stalls* that these events might cause. Used Judiciously...it can lead to having a more responsive Engine as the stuff passes through the EFIs and cleans a bit of the Junk collecting around the Pintles to help make the Engine have a Bit More PEP.

81LTPa4nz-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg71hlvP21D1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
The Quality (and corruption) of the Fuel in the Tank cannot be discounted. The Worst Days to "Fill Up The Tank" at any Gas Station are always when one can see the presence of the Giant Tankers arriving to replenish the underground Fuel Tanks at such places. When the Suppliers are pumping in the New Fuel... they often manage to stir up enough turbulence to disturb the Residual Water Condensate, Dirt and Debris that will invariably either form up, collect and settle down within the Large Tanks... and this agitated Junk from the bottom of the Tank(s) may manage to pass through their overworked filtration systems.

This Stuff may wind up inside of the Average Gas Tanks... and bring in problems along with the New Fuel. Coupled with this is the presence of the addition of Ethanol that might accidentally wind up getting pumped into a Regular Gas Tank ...by an occasional accident of a Bad Choice of Pumps. A thoughtful discussion with "The Lil' Woman" might reveal such an incident if she also adds Fuel in The Tank from time to time... :>)

Most Fuel Stations alert people to expect this with a not so subtle warning posted here and there at the Pumps. Regardless... The Favorite Fuel & Water Emulsifier of Choice...is Chevron Techron. Without going Crazy....an occasional Heavy Dose of this stuff will eliminate occasional *Fuel Stalls* that these events might cause. Used Judiciously...it can lead to having a more responsive Engine as the stuff passes through the EFIs and cleans a bit of the Junk collecting around the Pintles to help make the Engine have a Bit More PEP.

View attachment 110542View attachment 110543
She was up in Washington state at the time. I will ask her if she saw a truck at a station she was at. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: mrrsm

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I did ask her and she did get fuel but does not remember if saw a fuel truck dumping fuel. We always use Chevron Plus, mid grade in all vehicles. I like to use Sea Foam and a system cleaner. I have a bottle and will add today.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
No Problem... incidentally, the comment about the "accidental wrong fuel" was not meant for her in the pejorative sense... but rather meant for The Fuel Companies making such mistakes... as we have proof from what happened down here in Florida:

florida-diesel-contamination-acknowledged-by-citgo-provides-list-of-affect-gas-stations.jpg
(Photo : CHANDAN KHANNA/AFP via Getty Images)

Last edited:
Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Yea, I have heard of the wrong fuel being dumped in the wrong tank and even the "supposed" correct fuel being pumped but was in fact not the correct fuel.

Reactions: mrrsm

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Today my girl was going out to run some errands. Said that about 1/2 mile from home the CEL came on and still ran fine and no dying. She called me as she got home and told me about CEL. I had her pull in under the driveway canopy and found code P0340 related to camshaft position sensor. Was starting and running fine. I cleared the code and took on a road test. No problems and no CEL. Ordered an AC Delco 213-1557 sensor. ACD calls it a Synchronizer. Anyway, with my military discount at AZ the cost is $49. $55.79 at RA plus shipping. $130 at the dealer. AZ had to order in from their warehouse and will get in the morning. If ice storm rolls in, like the weather report says, I will get it when I can. Very simple 5 minute install.

The stall problem this thread was started for, has never happened again BUT maybe a cam sensor fixes that concern.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It has been over a decade since Drew performed this P0340 Diagnostic Step By Step Video...but such things NEVER lose their Value in Sound Automotive Diagnostics and go beyond the typical "How To R&R the CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor)" by using his Tech 2 and a Lab-Scope for the Diagnosis:

TECH2P0340FREEZEFRAME1.jpgTECH2P0340FREEZEFRAME2.jpg
TECH2P0340FREEZEFRAME3.jpgCMPKNOWNBADWAVEFORMA.jpg
CMPRELUCTORWHEELWAVEFORM.jpg

Here Again... "The Car Doctor" does EXACTLY the Same Diagnostic Approach using his Snap-On Verus Oscilloscope as the ONLY means of identifying and capturing such a "TRANSIENT FUBAR" by knowing what a KNOWN GOOD CMP Wave Form Looks Like:

CMPKNOWNGOODWAVEFORM.jpg

...against What Happens when the *ABSOLUTE CAMSHAFT POSITION* SIGNAL Glitches Out:

CMPKNOWNBADWAVEFORM.jpg

The CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor) take its Readings as Hall Effect Square Wave Impulses (Three 'Skinny' and Three 'Fat') from the Six Reluctor Wheel Notches in the Outer Orbit of the Camshaft Phaser. This signal is NOT the same action taken by the CPAS, which is strictly meant for adjusting the Exhaust Camshaft in between 0-25 Degrees at varied RPM and Torque Demands using Engine Oil Pressure and also acting like an EGR at near Idle Engine Speed. As mentioned above in Post #49, the ACDelco OEM item shown below is the recommended replacement part:

ACDELCOCMPSENSOR.jpg

This CMP Signal is compared inside the PCM with A/C Sine Waves getting picked up at the CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) in the Lower Engine Block in order to know precisely when to allow the EFIs to Spray in Fuel and when to allow the COPs (Coil Over Plugs) to Fire Off the Ignition Spark... JUST BTDC (Before Top Dead Center).

comme ça ...

GMLL8KNOWNGOODCAMCRANKCORR.jpg

gt151-connection-drawing-01.png

When it comes to Unexplained Engine Stalls, a Problem Timing Chain can also Raise its Ugly Head as being a Possible Cause due to Worn Timing Chain Guides, a Stretched Timing Chain or having a Fully Extended, Unresponsive Timing Chain Tensioner.

Last edited:
Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I just want to let members know that I have not forgotten about this cam sensor replacement. I ordered an ACD part, 213-1557, from Auto Zone and then the ice storm came in and the part has not been delivered from their HUB in Portland, Oregon down to Eugene, Oregon. They hope to get a delivery today or tomorrow and then I can install it and take pics and post here.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, so I replaced the cam sensor today. Finally got the AC Delco/Genuine GM part in at AZ. It literally took all of 5 minutes to replace. I did find something interesting though. The attaching/hold down 10mm bolt was loose and backed out a bit and when I found that, I pushed on the cam sensor and it moved closer to head and bottomed out. There was no oil leak because the o-ring was still sealing in the hole/cylinder. So, it must have been floating at times. I wonder if the closeness to cam variance was enough to cause a CEL and the one time dying at idle at a stoplight? Here are the pics:

20240119_121518.jpg20240119_121531.jpg20240119_121601.jpg20240119_121652.jpg

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online