1st drive with the TransGo shift kit installed.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Got my new battery (100% warranty), and installed it. Yes, I lost the vent actuator again - hopefully, it comes back like it did last time.

Let the vehicle warm up for about 10min before starting out, and I shifted into all gear ranges beforehand. No funny noises either at startup, or moving the trans through the gears, which was good.

Almost immediately, I noticed the harsh 1-2 shift - which is what I put the kit in for - was gone! :2thumbsup: Surprised me, as I really didn't see much in the way of wear on the valve body / parts on teardown. No broken springs, cracked accumulators, etc. So I thought I'd still have the issue, and be looking at a throttle position sensor next.

For the first 10-15 minutes, it did shift a little funny - I noticed it would flare / surge on the 2-3, 3-4, and in lockup. Figured that was the TransJel I used to lube the various parts, and it just needed to melt away.

All of the flare / surging eventually went away - *except* the flare in lockup. It seems to do this pretty constantly. I'll notice it varying anywhere between 200-500 RPM, perhaps slightly more. I can tell that it hits 4th and lockup earlier than it used to. It's still ever so slightly 'late' on the 1-2, but shifts at about 20mph now with light throttle - it was about 24mph before the kit.

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

I did make a couple of alterations to how I put the kit in (nothing to do with the corrected TCC / PWM valve, however). If anyone's interested, I'll post what I changed.

If I were to give re-assembly tips, they would be:

- The wire spacer appears to be a bit long for the EPC screen, as it extends past the open end of the screen. However, the 'extra length' is designed to sit on the bottom of the VB, helping hold it in. For that reason, wait until you've got the separator plate w/ it's gaskets back in, then apply some Jel / Vaseline to the wire spacer, and set it inside the EPC screen, to be followed up by the VB. That's where you'll see how it fits together. I also drilled the relief holes in the top of the EPC, as I originally thought I was going to skip the wire spacer altogether.

It helps to put a (very) thin coat of Gel on the mating surfaces of the separator plate gaskets - this helps hold them in place while you attach the plate to the case. You don't need it all over - just in a few spots where there aren't any hole cutouts, etc. I didn't really have wear in my separator plate, but since I got the new TransGo plate with the kit, I used it. Yes, I enlarged two holes to .093, as I have the V8. All the other holes were already at the sizes indicated in the spring kit.

- Some of the VB valve internals are a bit tricky to get out, even with a pick. Keep at it, and do your best not to scratch the internals. Some of the passages can be gotten to from both sides. Air helps, too, if you have a compressor.

- There is one spring for the 1-2 accumulator bushing valve which isn't in the same bag with the other ones (they give you a variety of them to choose from, depending on the codes stamped on both the valve and your 1-2 servo). That's the white one. Because of that, I used that smaller white spring in the wrong area ('Step 3', where you add the spring to the valve behind the force motor). Thankfully, when i got to the 1-2 accumulator bushing, I realized what happened, and went back and replaced that white spring with the correct one. IIRC, this happened to another member, but he didn't catch it before his test drive, and wound up tearing it down again. So be careful. I got lucky catching this.

BTW - the correct spring that pairs up with the 'DX' stamping on the accumulator bushing - is the yellow one. That's likely what will be stamped on your bushing as well, but make sure you examine it and verify for yourself!

- If you leave the ECC solenoid valve out when you put the VB back in, it makes it easy to tighten the bolts for the harness which are right above it. If you put it back in, and then realized it was in the way, you can maneuver the valve to get the clip facing you - then pull the clip and remove the valve. Then you can tighten the 2 solenoid bolts easily. Don't forget the dipstick guard attaches in this area as well, before you put the pan back on.

The VB gets tightened / torqued from the center outward, working counter-clockwise. If you take a look at the bolt arrangement, you can 'see' the spiral pattern. Tighten them in at least 2 passes - because when you get to the second pass on the first bolts, you'll see they're not as tight as when you first tightened them. Also, the VB (and the case) is made of aluminum, so you don't want to torque in one pass, or starting on an edge.

When removing and re-installing the VB, it helps to take out the center VB bolt last / install first - this allows you to free up both hands once you get that bolt started.

I found the pan much easier to put on, for some reason, than I did taking it off. This was probably due to being familiar with it on reassembly. I also decided to replace my stock pan with the Dorman (get the nylon washer for the drain bolt, if you buy it). Put it in front to back, then toward the linkage side, just past the bolt holes, and it will then pop in the other side, which has the shield (I did not have to remove the exhaust crossover pipe - although in a way, I wish I had - I snapped off the pan bolt in the back corner, closest to that crossover pipe - which made it an absolute b!tch to try and extract that bolt :badday:

Before you put the pan on, loosen the drain bolt if you purchase the Dorman pan - they seem to have tightened it the same as the GM pan / bolt - which I had to use an extractor for when I took it off. Thankfully, I have an impact gun, which loosened the Dorman bolt right up.

When tightening the pan bolts, do this in at least two passes, in a alternating criss-cross fashion. This gives you the best chance for a leak proof seal. 120 in/lbs (or 9-10 ft/lbs) for the pan bolts - no more. I replaced the OEM zinc bolts with stainless steel ones - and used anti-seize on them as well. I ended up with a leak-free seal (left the vehicle lifted up overnight to check for fluid leaks - still need to check after the pan / case has expanded from being heated up).

I figure (outside of the broken pan bolt I spent so much time trying to get out), it took about 1 day to take everything apart, a day to install the kit parts in the VB, and a 3rd day to put everything back together. This was taking my time and not rushing. Now that I've done one, I could probably decrease the time by 1/3, if I ever do this again.

While I'll be working to figure out the flare issue in lockup, I'm happy with the result - the issue I put the kit in for is gone - and I won't need to worry about the stock PWM valve enlarging the bore it's in and causing problems.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, I figured out the flare issue...

Took the Voy out after the Bears game (should've known better); I wanted to see how the trans acted at highway speeds, and I would go to the grocery afterward.

As soon as I started it, I remembered - "hey, you wanted to check the fluid level before starting it today". And I thought... "well, just see how it acts", thinking that I wouldn't get an accurate reading, having started it. FATAL mistake.

(And, yes, I know the 'proper' way is to do it with engine warm & running. But whenever I've checked fluid 'overnight cold' in any vehicle I had (and I've had a few), the level was always at the 'full' mark.)

I live about 9mi from the nearest interstate; about a 20min drive. I'm noticing that the trans is flaring a tiny bit just before the shifts to 3rd & 4th. "No biggie", I think.

Get on the interstate on an entrance that has an exit just 1 1/4 mi away - and as I brought it up past 55, I notice what seems to be a vibration (shudder?) from the middle of the vehicle - but it goes away past 65. Figured it was the converter.

Got off the interstate. About 1/2mi away, there's a stop light. Usually, I'll get caught at it, but this time, the light turned green enough far enough away to coast / kick back down to a lower gear. Light turns, I accelerate...and I've got a no-shift condition. I knew an auto parts store was just down the street. Eased in, and as I cross onto the lot, I start smelling what smells like burning transmission fluid. "Chr!st", I think... that bit of fluid I spilled while filling it (two days ago) must've started burning on the manifold".

How I wish that was the case. I don't even think about the fact I'd driven it at least 20 miles yesterday - I'd have smelled burning fluid on the manifold long before now.

Get out and check the level w/ engine running. There's nothing on the stick. Dry as a bone.
I come to the realization that I'm in the lot of an auto parts store, and they're open. Hopefully, they carry Dex 6 in the same brand, or at least a synthetic.

Go in, get a quart of fluid and a cheap funnel, and come back to the vehicle.
Checked the level again w/ the engine off and having sat for about 10min, and it appeared to be maybe 1qt low.

Pour half the fluid in, get in, move it through all gears and get back out and recheck. Looks to need the rest of the quart, so I put it in. Now it looks full. "Great, I was only down a quart"

How I wish that were the case. 2nd mistake.

I noticed as I remove the funnel that there's some smoke coming out of the dipstick tube. I get a sickening feeling as I put the dipstick back in.

Since I have more Dex 6 at home, I figure I can get the vehicle home (about 15mi), and is a prime reason why I only bought one qt of fluid and guessed (hoped) it was full after adding it.

Ease her out on the road, 1-2 shifts beautifully. No 3rd, whether I shift manually, or have it in D. Finally, after a few seconds at 4K, I get her to shift into 3rd by letting off the pedal. I'm doing 3K on the tach, but at least I'm driving 45mph, and closer to home, 4-ways flashing all the way.

Then I hit the stoplight I was expecting to - come to a stop, and when I start up again, she's not going past 25mph in second. Pull over at a gas station (no garage or fluid) and check the fluid again. Looks almost dry again. Shut her down and wait 10min. While I'm waiting, I looked for "4L60e" and "no 3rd". Read the likely bad result - I've probably burned out the 3-4 clutch pack. Check the fluid again with the engine off. Looks to be at the bottom of the crosshatch.

"I can make it home", I think. Most of the rest of the way, I won't have to exceed 40mph. Limped home in between bursts of traffic, and checked the fluid once more w/ engine running in park. Fluid level is just at the ring at the bottom. Probably another quart or more low. No more burning since I stopped at the auto parts store. But no 3rd anymore. I start thinking about whether I could actually rebuild the trans (or get an old one and rebuild it.), vs. taking it to the local guy who quoted me $1800 installed with 3yr warranty for a brand new (reman) crate 5.0L engine for the last Explorer I had (long story there).

I figure he'll have a similar price for a new trans, perhaps even cheaper.

So...the end of our story. I was proficient enough to rebuild the valve body and fix the issue that I put it in for - but stupid enough to just dump the 5qts of fluid in, and not check it again after starting & driving it (I checked it before I started it the first time, and it was 1.5 in. above the crosshatch.) I had 3qts extra fluid in the garage; had I just checked the fluid one more time before taking her out today, I'd have likely avoided this problem entirely.

How I wish that were the case. :Banghead:

So...what say you? Think I should take a stab at building a transmission (I'd beef it up a bit w/ HD clutches, etc, to facilitate future towing), or do you figure I've done enough damage at this point? I wanted to use the Voy for the coming winter and garage the daily driver.

I do have the $ to have it rebuilt, thankfully. But I'm cheap enough (and experienced enough mechanically) to know that I can probably rebuild one on my own. Installing it myself would be an absolute bitch, though.

I think I know my answer, but I'll see what my GMT brethren think...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well crap sorry to hear that. Hard lesson.

If I was in that situation and I had the time (like it wasn't my daily driver or I had something else to drive for a while) I'd be tempted to try rebuilding it myself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That sucks big time. If I had the time, space and knowledge, I'd do it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'd also be tempted to rebuild myself.

If you've got time there are rebuild vids on YouTube to help you through or at least show you how.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That sucks big time. If I had the time, space and knowledge, I'd do it.

Thanks, Mooseman...very neighborly of you :tiphat:

That's pretty much my problem, though - not enough space or time, and I'd like to be able to put the daily driver in the garage when the snow flies.

Went to see the mech today (who's really just doing the R&R; he'd have a local trans builder he works with all the time actually do the rebuild.) It was funny - when I told them it had the 5.3L, they seemed...impressed, somehow...LOL

I explained what happened, and told him if I was going to do this, I wanted a towing build - he spec'd a Beast shell, HD clutches, 2500rpm converter, Kevlar 2-4 band, etc. But rebuilding the trans in the Voy - and the VB should really be considered done, although I'm hearing they'd put the Sonnax PWM sleeve / valve in (which I'm not sure I want; I found the bore in very good shape when I put the TransGo replacement valve in).

So...VB already done by me (I know they'd take it apart and check the work, but still) - and they want $1800 - $2000 to do it, all in - and that's the 'cash' price. 2yr warranty. I can bring it in as early as next Monday, if I choose to have them do it.

I know I could do it *so* much cheaper - but it would take me *so* much longer, and it would be difficult to do it myself (no room, etc. - plus I'm not 22 anymore - I'm 52, as of yesterday, ironically. Helluva b-day present I gave myself...LOL)

Getting to the point in my life where I'd rather spring for the 'big' jobs - and I'm probably going to finally break down and do so for this one, even though I could probably get the same parts for < $500. Which is probably what I'd get for it if I were to sell it as-is. Can't do that - there's too much life left in this truck, and that would be throwing away a lot of $. So I'm in, by necessity. :whiteflag:

At least I like the truck... :weird:

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I hear ya. I'm 51 and it's taking me forever to finish a cam and valvetrain swap on my 5.3.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd also be tempted to rebuild myself.

If you've got time there are rebuild vids on YouTube to help you through or at least show you how.

I know - I watched that Hiram guy in TX a few times (he actually goes through the TransGo kit install), and there's a whole series on rebuilding a 4L60e by a 'Transmission Bench', that I really, really liked and went over a couple of times when I wasn't sure about something or wanted to double-check.

I've gone over so much info online about the 4L60, and I've got the ATSC manual, too. Really appreciative of those who posted the info online for the rest of us - and to everyone here who recommended the CT Transmission kit on the Bay.

I guess I'll be getting the Vette servo installed now...lol.

Reactions: Mooseman and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online