12V positive wire for XM Onyx install.

zipthehuh

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hello, I am going to be installing a XM onyx in my 03 TB EXT (no bose w/onstar) with the factory head unit. I would really like to hard wire the power adapter so it wont use one of the 12v outlets in the lower dash. I would also like it to be on the 10 minute shut off delay with the radio. Normally I would run a add a fuse from the block. While this is still a possibility I would rather not have to feed the wire all the way up to then under that dash. Can I just splice into the radio power? or is there another wire I should use to splice into. Thanks for the advice

-Zip

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
zipthehuh said:
Hello, I am going to be installing a XM onyx in my 03 TB EXT (no bose w/onstar) with the factory head unit. I would really like to hard wire the power adapter so it wont use one of the 12v outlets in the lower dash. I would also like it to be on the 10 minute shut off delay with the radio. Normally I would run a add a fuse from the block. While this is still a possibility I would rather not have to feed the wire all the way up to then under that dash. Can I just splice into the radio power? or is there another wire I should use to splice into. Thanks for the advice

-Zip

Those radios pull quite a bit of power surprisingly, if I was you I would pull power from the fuse block, you could even go from the inside block so you don't have to go thru the firewall...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The 10 min delay you are talking about is called Retained Accessory Power (RAP) and, it is not an electrical circuit that you can tap into.

Most of the accessories have cp modules that connect over a data bus. The main computer (BCM) commands the individual modules to "go to sleep" after a predetermined time.

However, the extended body trucks have power vent windows at the rear side corners. These windows use a relay to provide RAP (cheaper than providing a module).

If you have an extended truck, the relay is #22 in the rear fuse panel and the RAP wire is a dark green that goes forward to the top of the windsheild, the console above the mirror.

If you have a short truck, the green wire may be in the harness and, adding the relay may give you RAP.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Some of the newer models are 5v rather than 12v. When I got a new Sirius radio I had to wire another cigarette lighter behind the dash to plug the 12v to 5v lighter plug rather than a straight hard wire. I think I just tapped into the lighter's wiring because I like to leave the receiver on if I hop out for a short time (the lighter is always on even without ignition). This way I can pause the Sirius when I get out and pick right back up when I get back in. Can skip ads on talk stations this way too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online