06 trailblazer 4.2 L cold start

Moonie

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Florida
Hello all, 06 trailblazer cold start issues, and why I say that is after cranking & cranking cold it has a no start but after adding about less that a quarter of a QUART of fuel( just a little bit) through the filler neck ... and down to the tank it fires up and runs . I shut it off & it restarts without an issue drove around a little in the subdivision it will stumble a little but doesn't cut off . Let it sit about 24 hours try to start but just cranks... rinse and repeat and all is good until it sits again .. any ideas ? Don't hear any significant noise close to the fuel tank , also the fuel shows a quarter of tank , did a fuel gauge sweep and it pinned to full and return

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
You don't hear any noise coming from the gas tank? You should be able to hear a noise of some sort coming from the fuel pump, especially when you turn the key to the "ON" position.

Moonie

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Florida
So as suspected bad fuel pump? P.s the pump relay is also clicking to the touch, 228000 miles on the vehicle , but why when fuel added it starts and run ? Until it sits again ?

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
If the relay is clicking, it sounds like the relay itself could be the issue. I would try replacing that and see what happens. Its also cheaper then going straight for the fuel pump. For the last part, I'm not sure honestly. This platform has oddities that sometimes can't be explained, I'm just going off of basic troubleshooting.

Reactions: Redbeard

Moonie

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Florida
Forgot to mention that I swapped relay with the same number next to it and still no luck, sorry but i thought if the relay clicks once the ignition is turned on that relay is good, am i wrong?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It certainly sounds like a fuel issue. Check the fuel pressure, both when it primes and when running.

Instead of adding fuel, try banging on the bottom of the tank. If it starts up, it's the pump dying.

Reactions: Redbeard

Moonie

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Florida
Hello again, well after replacing the fuel pump still having the issue, old fuel pump key on pressure is at about 58 then started pressure went up to 60 with a fluctuating needle, replaced the pump ( oh what a joy) same readings but now the needle is stable, drove about 30 miles got in the driveway & starts to sputter & cuts off , I know when it is going to start because I can hear the pump energize, when it doesn't start don't hear any pump noise, its making me believe its electrical... ideas?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You could have a situation that involved more than one problem. With so much mileage on that vehicle... the Fuel Pump would be an obvious thing to dial in on... and with the Swap of the Matched Relay... the one thing that might still be in play... is the Fuel Pump Relay SOCKET itself for any stretched metal contacts of the socket innards. I'm not sure that the "Pour In Fuel with the Gas Tank Thing" did anything more than allow the Fuse Block to cool down enough and allow the Sketchy Relay to re-engage those pins. Also... did you ever actually replace that Fuel Pump Relay with a New One? If not... pull the damned thing out and put some Dielectric Grease down the socket holes and plug the Fuel Pump Relay back in... and try this idea out for any change in the situation.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online