1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

05 Colorado brake lights stuck on with headlights

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DonnyDrywall, Feb 11, 2016.

1. DonnyDrywall

DonnyDrywall Well-Known Member

Okay, So my buddy just bought an 05 colorado and like the title says, all three brake lights come on and stay on when the headlights are turned on. When the headlights are off the brake lights work normally. Could this be a faulty brake light switch?

2. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

Is it just headlights or is it also with parking lights?

3. DonnyDrywall

brake lights stuck on with parking and headlights

4. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

OK that makes a little more sense how that could happen as the parking light circuit is connected to the tails but not the headlight circuit.

I'd be looking at the harness connections at the tail lights. The parking circuit is backfeeding to a brake light somehow maybe due to a failed ground. If you hit the brakes with the lights off, do the front parking lights also light up?

Blckshdw likes this.
  5. DonnyDrywall

yep, front running lights come on when the brake lights. we will be inspecting the harness and adding extra grounds to the tail lights. thanks alot man.

6. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Also check the bulbs. I once had one short out in the bulb where the filament post melted and shorted to the other.

Sparky likes this.
  7. DonnyDrywall

Oh man, I forgot about this post. We fixed it that day, it ended up being the trailer wiring harness was in horrible shape with some very shotty repairs. I removed the harness and all is good.