02 TB LS multiple repairs

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
My interior door handle is broken at the front portion that goes into the area where the switches are located. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So on your door handle.. Is the issue with the interior grab handle where it feels like you are pulling the door card off, the actual door open pull handle, or the exterior pull handle?

If its the interior door close pull feeling like the door card is about to fall off.. I cant find the specific kit for the Trailblazer. I can find them for the Envoy/9-7x/Ascender.. I am not sure if they are the same kits..

Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
It is the interior handle that you grab to pull door closed. Where it attaches at front is broke loose. We have it shoved back in the hole. Can grab at back of that handle and door closes just fine.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So that repair kit from ebay I posted is to repair that.. But as I said, I dont know if that covers the TB or not...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Found this video?

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Thanks, @TollKeeper. Can a moderator move this handle stuff to a new thread? I will start a thread there for something to do with interior.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Last edited:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I am a newbie and we got off track at my Introduction post and was talking about the broken interior door handle on my girl's 2002 Trailblazer. Hopefully a moderator can move those posts to here. @TollKeeper has been helping about this as well. So has @Mooseman. I now have a video link from @TollKeeper about the steps to repair but need a known good kit part number for repair kits I hear about or will be going to salvage yard. Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So after doing a bit of research, the trailblazer does not have a repair kit, and I see why.

The door pull on the TrailBlazer is separate from the door panel, whereas the Rainier/9-7x/Envoy its integrated into the panel.

So looks like replacement is the only option.. Hopefully one of the other guys more familiar with the TB interior will respond.

Pics for reference..

Envoy
Picture 1 of 12

TB
Picture 1 of 6

Looks like the door pull handles are available thru eBay, and salvage yards. Just a matter of matching the color.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Thanks. Got my new water pump and thermostat/water outlet and wipers today. The work starts. Oil filter too. Likely gonna do on Christmas when is 60 here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved those posts to this one but @TollKeeper 's post was first so he will appear as the OP. I can't change the date/time of posts.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Absolutely no problem.

Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Can you copy his first post from the other thread, and duplicate into this thread? Then modify it after the fact?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's an idea! Please stand by...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Looks to have worked!

Copy his post #8 from this thread, and I think it would all make a bit more sense..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yessir!

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, thanks for straightening out the thread for me. I did do a search at ebay and there is just one driver's skin that is full on black. Ours is a two tone. The skin is light grey and the handle/switch area is dark grey.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Found this video?
Besides the guy doing the video being pretty clumsy, that is good to know. I am seeing a salavge yard trip in my future. The best I found at ebay was a matching front set that I talk about in the above post.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
@TollKeeper, as it turns out, the guy who has the handle I need, as per the video you sent me, is also the guy who had the matching driver's and passenger's panels. I contacted him and let him know I will be ordering the handle asap. Thanks for the video.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
@Mooseman, at 70 years old, as of tomorrow, I want to stay away from the salvage yard as much as possible. I don't want to drive there, take a chance the part I need may or may not be there and then have to drive to another one and so on and so on and so on.....Free shipping and no fuel burned and not on roads where there are idiots around here....I am good.

Besides....I am a thousandaire....so there's that..

• Haha
Reactions: TollKeeper

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
So, few things went on today. After getting the new/used driver's door arm rest and the new driver's door limiting strap/door check, I decided to replace both. Yesterday we had went to a locksmith I like to use and they had ordered in two new key fobs. We had none to begin with and had 3 keys only that we could unlock the front doors with but not turn to lock them. The locksmith freed up the passenger side door tumbler but the driver's door tumbler would not budge to the lock position. They said to bring back today when I had the inner door skin off for my planned work. Did that and they had to remove the tumbler and open it and fix a failed ball bearing in there and now works as should with keys but still the key fobs would not program. They said is likely the very sluggish actuators or a BCM problem. Then I remembered my problems with only the left rear speaker working. If I adjust the fade and balance, you can hear both front speakers that are very very very low, almost silent and a very high pitched tinny sound and the right rear is still silent. Then I remembered the ground problems the Tahoes and Yukons and Suburbans of this vintage and am going to go thru all the grounds. Found out there is supposed to be a big ground spot under the carpet on the front passenger side. Is that correct? That will not likely fix the very sluggish actuators, when turning key, not with a fob. We have no working fobs.

Then the broken inner arm rest is replaced and the limiting strap is replaced. That freakin' strap is no fun getting it back thru the door jam hole where the strap part works. The hinge part at end of strap is a PITA. Had to hold my tongue just right and push/pull on the front guide for the window track. Once was thru the hole, a piece of cake. The next PITA was the rear 10 mm bolt for the arm rest. It is down this 2" hole and if you can't stab it just right, it falls inside the door skin. Ask me how I know this. Got some grease in the socket and was able to stab and tighten. Now all that is good but the damn speakers and key fobs have to be dealt with. Next week is get all the fluids up to snuff week. P/S, brake fluid, diffs, transmission and oil change. Whoopee!

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
The best part of doing this work on my fiance's rig is that she stays out there with me and goes for tools and holds the light and adds an extra hand when needed and is not afraid to get dirty. I got her some new floor mats for the front and second row and a cargo mat at the back. I wear shop coveralls when I am working, from my diesel shop days, and plan on getting her a pair as well.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did it ever have any working fobs? IIRC, if it has key locks on both sides, it doesn't have that option. Check for AU0 on the glove box sticker.

This thread has a lot of info on programming it if you do:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know I had pulled a build sheet for his truck, but cant find it now.. damnit!

You can also try to program the FOB from your Tahoe, if you have the AU0 it should also be able to be programmed, just to rule out bad FOB's.

But with it being a 2 lock truck, I am thinking it doesnt have the RDL. Does it even go into programming mode?

Might be time for a aftermarket remote start/lock/unlock!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably but the BCM would also need to be programmed. Not sure if when setting up the programming, it's an option that's turned on or if it's by the VIN. Would require a Tech 2 and Tis2000 or a trip to the dealer or shop that has that capability.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They should have had another trim level... ELS (Even Less Stuff)!

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I found and stayed up last night reading this thread:

While I still am gonna replace the ignition switch based off of pattern failures of that switch, it looks like I don't have to worry about fobs now. I just walked out and double checked and there is no AU0 on the RPO codes. No fobs from the beginning.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
  • Haha

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
They should have had another trim level... ELS (Even Less Stuff)!
Another way to think of it... Even less stuff to break!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Found it! I tried the search, but never tried just the word "Build"

Anyways!

With your speakers working, but very faintly... This is going to be one of 2 problems. You will still have to pull the speakers to verify for step one, and try them on your home stereo. If the Voice coil is fried, they will produce a SMALL vibration, but not much, and barely enough to hear. The second, and more likely, is the in head unit amp has failed. Not very common, but it does happen.

I dont have any spare amped head units, all of mine are BOSE. They are available. Usually in Tape deck, or Tape Deck/Single CD. Most would say to upgrade so that you get a more modern radio.. I am one of the Nah-Sayers on this, I prefer stock, and at the end of the day is usually cheaper... Unless you just want a newer style radio with touch screen and all that.

You can always upgrade to the VERY rare Nav system that had the amp in the head unit. I would have to search around and find that part number.. They do exist, but as I said, are EXTREMELY rare. Since they have not updated the map discs for those head units since 2012, I dont recommend it..

If you get the right head unit (post 2004.5) that has a BAND button, instead of a AM/FM button, you can add bluetooth. Thats what I have done with most of my vehicles. And with the radio I just got from @Jexnell , I can even do it on my wives Pontiac (I hope!)

Let me know if you want me to find the part numbers for a Non-Bose headunit, and if you want to have the bluetooth ability.

@Mooseman - Probably wanna rename this thread to @movietvet's 2002 TB Build Thread since we are working on fixing a lot of things?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to Technical discussion since it's not really a build per se.

@movietvet , in the future, please start new threads for each issue. It's not just for keeping the threads clean and uncluttered, it's so if someone sees the title of your problem, they may have the solution for it.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Moved to Technical discussion since it's not really a build per se.

@movietvet , in the future, please start new threads for each issue. It's not just for keeping the threads clean and uncluttered, it's so if someone sees the title of your problem, they may have the solution for it.
Will do. Need to keep the threads for each problem. I do know better,

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I am gonna take the working left rear speaker and try it at the other three doors. Taking the door skins off is pretty easy to do. New Interstate battery is tomorrow. If my girl goes to her property north of Seattle, tomorrow or Tuesday, I am gonna get all the fluids done while she takes another vehicle we have.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online