What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yesterday i had the fan get all flaky and fail me on some defrosting, so I guess I need to research fixing it.

smt 59

Gave her a quick wipe down after work and tucked her away for the night night, rain and freezing rain on the way, so much for clean. Here's a side view.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
having done, as i don't have the tools or time.
upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar end links, shocks on all 4 corners and alignment. went with Monroe quick struts.
taking lift out as the mother in law fell and broke her hip (86 y.o.) and transporting her would be easier if TB is at stock height. easier than the wife's Verano that she would have to climb up out of.
will be selling MarkMc's 3"/2" lift and longer rear shocks in the near future.
3" front lift will be whole strut assy. (shocks and springs all assembled)
watch the "for sale" section or PM me.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
will be selling MarkMc's 3"/2" lift and longer rear shocks in the near future.
3" front lift will be whole strut assy. (shocks and springs all assembled)
watch the "for sale" section or PM me.

Knowing your truck, you could probably eat off the suspension!

Reactions: fletch09

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Not my gmt but my brother-in-laws SS. Install a new set of jl dash speakers. They sound super awesome.:2thumbsup: I have to get me a set of these for myslef.

Attachments

• 20151204_130150.jpg
    20151204_130150.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20151204_142423.jpg
    20151204_142423.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20151204_130637.jpg
    20151204_130637.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: dmanns67

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Tried to check my exhaust manifold for any cracks or loose bolts. That turned out to be a tougher experience than I thought. Don't have an O2 sensor socket (yet) and couldn't get the oil dipstick tube out of the block.

The bolts I could access with the heat shield moved out of the way a bit were still tight, and no visible cracks, although that's not saying much. :ugh:

smt 59

Dusted her off, oil sprayed all body seams, applied liquid wrench to the o2 sensor getting ready to replace, oiled all door handles and rear door hardware. Put in a bottle of Amsoil PI. Checked and topped off all fluids.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 8

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got the hood struts installed, and flashed the stock tune. Decided not to screw around with the strut placement, and put them where instructed. Turns out that opens the hood slightly lower than stock :duh:

20151206_151341.jpg

The drive home with stock tune was interesting. It idles a lot smoother, but I suppose that's expected when it feels like it's half asleep. I'll see how this does as far as MPGs for a couple of tank fulls. If it goes back up to 15 where it was for years (as well as the 93 octane tune), I may leave it, cuz the 13 I've been getting is irritating me.

Edit: This pic WAS supposed to have my, @jimmyjam and @DJones trucks visible, but Jimmy decided to reposition just before I snapped the pic :hopeless:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Poured some Seafoam in the oil in prep for my oil change probably next weekend.

Drove it across town to help a friend move, and since I had a passenger went to turn on the AC so we could talk comfortably.... No AC, just warm air in the morning, hot air in the afternoon. In the immortal words of Scooby Doo "Ruh roh!" :worried:

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Well between yesterday and today. Washed,oil change and then I changed out the power steering fluid. Which was much needed since I've never done it. Wow man the stuff I was pulling out was a very dark brown. After about a gallon and 2 quarts i was happy with the results.
Then today again i had to wash it down the wife parked under a tree and let's just say the voy had a shitty night.

Attachments

• 1449954867389.jpg
    1449954867389.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 4

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Did a little bit of troubleshooting on my AC issue. Compressor doesn't seem to be engaging. Pulled the relay, tested good on the bench. The probes for my meter were too big to get into the relay socket and make contact, so haven't confirmed if the 'on' signal is making it that far yet. To be continued...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got a new resistor for blower, other one was too short in the wire

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decided to change the oil tonight, instead of tomorrow. The last 2 times I did it, got a few drops of oil on the ground thanks to the filter issue. This time I figured, lay down some cardboard, and can skip the cleanup. Reuse the cardboard next time.

Oil filter puked it's guts out when I loosened it, like it was under pressure. :confused: didn't do that before... made it all the way down my arm to my shirt sleeve before I got it to the drain pan. :hissyfit:

20151218_170355.jpg

Reactions: Matt and dmanns67

smt 59

Decided to change the oil tonight, instead of tomorrow. The last 2 times I did it, got a few drops of oil on the ground thanks to the filter issue. This time I figured, lay down some cardboard, and can skip the cleanup. Reuse the cardboard next time.

Oil filter puked it's guts out when I loosened it, like it was under pressure. :confused: didn't do that before... made it all the way down my arm to my shirt sleeve before I got it to the drain pan. :hissyfit:

View attachment 73281
Nice job
I took mine to the dealer to have it done(my buddy does it for me on his time)

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio

View attachment 73281

The opening on the top of your oil catch pan is not very big, I can see why it is messy. I usually never have oil miss the pan with the one I use below. With the catch pan I use, you still have to buy another used oil container whereas yours is like a two in one.

89011620_ftl_11845mi_pri_larg.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I figured out where I went wrong, cuz like I said, the first 2 times I changed my oil, this didn't happen. Previously, I tried to remove the filter right after draining the pan, and since the engine was hot, all I did was crack the filter loose until the oil started running down the sides, and into the drain pan. Then remove it when it was done.

This time, I started draining the pan, and went back in the house for 90 minutes, and tried to remove the filter in one shot since the oil left in it wasn't very hot. That was my mistake, and why there was so much more of a mess. :dunce:

Reactions: dmanns67

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Put new shoes on her last night...and found out I'm going to need a new spare tire hoist. At least it looks like it won't be too much trouble to replace the mechanism. All kinds of room to access it now that the spare is in the cargo hold.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Installed my Avital 4113LX remote start and XpressKit DBall2 bypass module on my TB this morning. Definitely will make not having a garage to park in this winter much nicer.

Reactions: smt 59

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Installed both front unit hub (wheel) bearings. Not a bad job, worst was figuring out the easiest way to unplug the ABS whip from the chassis connector, and just in general the tricks. 2.5 hours for both sides, including moving the other cars, gathering tools, the task, and cleanup

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Drove it cross county to Jimmy's place, hooked up the AC gauges and a can of r134a to do some troubleshooting. Not entirely sure where the leak is, but after disconnecting the high pressure test valve, the check ball wouldn't re-seat (sealing the valve) so that part is definitely bad for sure and needs to be replaced.

We're gonna try to go to LKQ this weekend, since they've got and EXT in, and try to get that hard line if it's intact. The compressor did engage properly once we were able to get some pressure into the system. Hopefully it was just that valve that was bad, and slowly leaking on me.
wish.gif

20151222_153205.jpg

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I guess technically I hit a deer on the way to work. The little SOB dove right into the passenger side of my truck and put a nice dent and removed some paint on his way under my 22" rim. I saw him get up and try to run off in my rear-view, but I doubt he went far. So now my door is fkd up :Banghead:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Went to Jimmy's for AC system breakdown, got some new O rings and put the new (to me) hard line in. Evacuated the system, and left the gauges on to make sure the system holds vacuum.

Decided to borrow his gauges, since the needle moved just a notch on the gauge in about a 30 minute period. Will check it again on Tuesday or so, and if it's holding vacuum, use the 2 cans of refrigerant to charge the system and see what happens. If not, then get a can with some dye in it, for more troubleshooting.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
I guess technically I hit a deer on the way to work. The little SOB dove right into the passenger side of my truck and put a nice dent and removed some paint on his way under my 22" rim. I saw him get up and try to run off in my rear-view, but I doubt he went far. So now my door is fkd up :Banghead:

Damn suicidal deer.
since there are so many of them out there, you would think there would be a deer Shrink in the herd to talk them out of it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Did a little engine bay cleanup today. Removed the air and battery box braces. Pulled the upper radiator support brace, and removed one of the HID relay harnesses (since I haven't run quads in how many years now?) Swapped out the bad D2S ballast, and then cleaned up some of the cable routing. Much less of a rats nest in there now. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Just before heading out for a couple of errands, I walked around the back of the EXT to find this.... :eek: :hissyfit:

20160101_151713.jpg

Came home and busted out the polishing compound. Barely put a dent in it. Opted for some paint remover, and saved the day. :celebrate:

20160101_152144.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online