What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Rearranged my storage room to get some extra floor space, then went into the garage and did a weight reduction mod to my EXT (again)

Before...
20151011_134113.jpg

During...
20151011_134523.jpg

And after...
20151011_134658.jpg

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Got around to the dreaded heater blend door actuator replacement, but managed to open up another potential can of worms.

The driver's side actuator only required dremeling out a little bit of plastic so my ratchet would fit, but it was a piece of cake.
The passenger's side required cutting and bending the metal brace out of the way.
Once that was done, it was easier than the driver's side.

I did an HVAC reset (by pulling the HVAC B fuse) with both new actuators plugged in, but neither of them moved from their indexed position when I restarted the engine.
In fact, the "Service Engine Soon" light started strobing (not like a dead battery, but like a bad connection) as the starter cranked, then my gauges/lights did two light checks in a row, my head unit rebooted again, and I noticed some of my cluster lights were now burned out.

I recycled the engine again and it fired up just fine this time. No electrical anomalies.
I'll have to examine my battery terminals when I get the chance, but I'm not sure they are the issue. I have only been having problems since I installed a new battery, and I made sure the terminals were T-I-T tight.

I guess this is an excuse to try my hand at a gauge cluster LED mod?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Didn't think I'd be doing anything to my voy today but my son was playing with the window switch and it cameof the track I'm assuming. I can hear the motor and movement but the window is stuck in one position. Smh.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Didn't think I'd be doing anything to my voy today but my son was playing with the window switch and it cameof the track I'm assuming. I can hear the motor and movement but the window is stuck in one position. Smh.
So it ended up that the wire broke on the assembly. I contacted a local used part place and luckly they had one in stock from an 04. Which by the way is not identical to my 08. So I had to switch out a few thing to get it to work. And finally after spending $80 and breaking my head a bit I have a working passenger window. [emoji106]

Reactions: Eric04 and Blckshdw

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Got around to the dreaded heater blend door actuator replacement, but managed to open up another potential can of worms.

The driver's side actuator only required dremeling out a little bit of plastic so my ratchet would fit, but it was a piece of cake.
The passenger's side required cutting and bending the metal brace out of the way.
Once that was done, it was easier than the driver's side.

I did an HVAC reset (by pulling the HVAC B fuse) with both new actuators plugged in, but neither of them moved from their indexed position when I restarted the engine.
In fact, the "Service Engine Soon" light started strobing (not like a dead battery, but like a bad connection) as the starter cranked, then my gauges/lights did two light checks in a row, my head unit rebooted again, and I noticed some of my cluster lights were now burned out.

I recycled the engine again and it fired up just fine this time. No electrical anomalies.
I'll have to examine my battery terminals when I get the chance, but I'm not sure they are the issue. I have only been having problems since I installed a new battery, and I made sure the terminals were T-I-T tight.

I guess this is an excuse to try my hand at a gauge cluster LED mod?
Check the ground on the passenger side in front of the console.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Use it this weekend for some work.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
New head unit in the Silverado. Looks like it was designed to fit the dash... oh wait, it was :biggrin: Still needs some tweaking, rest of the options hooked up and configured, but it is at least in the dashboard now.

20151013_193643.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Id love to see my trans temps stay under 200* :crackup:. Having a stall really bumps your temps up and i have a trans cooler installed. Still hovers around 200 avg. But i haven't parked the beaSSt yet. Still have to take the pup to the rehab center 3 days a week. Plus it's 68* and sunny today so I drove her to work.

Attachments

• 20151015_121253.jpg
    20151015_121253.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
New vinyl.

Attachments

• 20151017_174620.jpg
    20151017_174620.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 13

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Just (Thursday) did the quarterly PM's on both of the trucks, (yes I am that crazy and organized) Everything on the 05' was good, but then.......oh then....I found this right here on the EXT. I have no idea how I missed this before.

20151016_161808[1].jpg
This is on the bottom of the radiator on the driver side, and although it is not leaking or causing problems it shall not stand. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade mine to a 3 row aluminum radiator and here it is.

So to summarize "what I did to my GMT today"....Quarterly PM

check all fluid*
inspect tires and check air pressure * (including spare)
lower spare wheel
rotate tires
inspect brakes
inspect for leaks
check all lights *
inspect hoses
check for any excessive noise with stethoscope
check torque on drive shaft bolts
check torque on lug nuts *
clean battery terminals
service battery (N/A with AGM batt)
inspect wiper blades
clean throttle body
clean engine air Filter
replace cabin air Filter
check a/c pressure
inspect door hinges, lubricate as necessary
change oil/Filter as needed
scan for pending/stored service engine codes
grease suspension components as necessary
clean Inside of windows (safety Item)

* (also done on a weekly basis)

That's about it for a quarterly PM.........takes about 2 hours for each truck usually.

:tiphat:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade mine to a 3 row aluminum radiator and here it is.

What kinda options have you found? I know there was talk of finding thicker radiator options for the I6's in the past, best somebody could find were some Mopar radiators with the same approximate height and width dimension, you'd just have to fab up lower mounts.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
What kinda options have you found? I know there was talk of finding thicker radiator options for the I6's in the past, best somebody could find were some Mopar radiators with the same approximate height and width dimension, you'd just have to fab up lower mounts.

The is the same write up I am going by, it is a 1967-73 Mopar radiator although a different brand lol. The dimensions are good but you will have to run electric fans to use it i believe because of the thickness of the radiator. I guess I could do a write up if there is enough interest, I will probably be doing this withing the next 2 weeks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah mandatory efans was my understanding too. I'm interested, does that count as enough interest? lol But for real, that would make for a great article for us to have as a resource, so I think you should write up the process regardless. :yes:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Yeah mandatory efans was my understanding too. I'm interested, does that count as enough interest? lol But for real, that would make for a great article for us to have as a resource, so I think you should write up the process regardless. :yes:

Ok brother, I will do a detailed write up when it is completed, I may even be able to fab some brackets to help others out with this mod. It looks like it may be very affordable, and I will also verify if it can be fitted with the mechanical fan. I think it can be done, but only time will tell.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It was late last night, but finally got around to finishing up the new relay harness for my power folding mirrors. Thought I was fresh out of some of my favorite crimp on bullet connectors, but found a handful of them in a different storage bin. Got everything hooked up and tested, now my mirrors function at the same speed as they do when triggered by the ignition, when I use the stock mirror switch. :biggrin:

Later tonight, I'll go back in and zip tie the relays, and some of the wiring, together. Resembles quite the rat's nest behind the headlight switch now, with 4 relays and all the wiring back there. :frown:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It was late last night, but finally got around to finishing up the new relay harness for my power folding mirrors. Thought I was fresh out of some of my favorite crimp on bullet connectors, but found a handful of them in a different storage bin. Got everything hooked up and tested, now my mirrors function at the same speed as they do when triggered by the ignition, when I use the stock mirror switch. :biggrin:

Later tonight, I'll go back in and zip tie the relays, and some of the wiring, together. Resembles quite the rat's nest behind the headlight switch now, with 4 relays and all the wiring back there. :frown:

This may shock you.....but I still have yet to wire up my power folding option. I got the relays about 6 months ago and just have not made the time to do it.

SMH

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This may shock you.....but I still have yet to wire up my power folding option. I got the relays about 6 months ago and just have not made the time to do it.

SMH

:ugh: ... considering how long it's been taking me to do fun mods to my truck... What's the opposite of being shocked? I still need to relocate the kill switch. At this rate, that will take another year... :hopeless:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hard telling really. If I do not get to it tonight, then i am booked up through Sunday afternoon.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Its that time of year again. Installed my winter wheels/tires this morning. SS wheels are cleaned up and stored until next Spring. While I had the wheels off, I inspected the pads and rotors. Rotors look good. Some of my paint is chipping off on the rear rotors :hissyfit: Ceramic pads are wearing nicely though.

Since it is supposed to be 70* and sunny tomorrow, I am going to knock out the last oil/filter change of the year before the temps start dropping. Should be good until next Spring.

IMG_20151020_105420.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Stuck the Husky mats in. The black would look better clean, but the gray shows far less dirt and I have owned both.

Also stuck the new black jerry can on the back

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I like the way the gray ones cover the dead pedal. Much mo' betta. :yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
One of these days soon I will get the interior cleaned up and the speakers and radio in, I hope...

I do like how they cover there and how they have the lip cause I have spilt plenty on them and they hold a good amount. Also keep ice/show/mud mostly contained.

i tried the weathertech and just found these to be better for my needs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I like the lip feature too. That would be perfect for the sugar sand we have at most of the beaches here. Only thing worse than someone tracking a bunch of that :lipsrsealed: into my truck in the first place, is when they try to be helpful, pull the mat out to dump it outside the truck, but spill it onto the carpet instead. :hissyfit:

Granted, now I park in a garage, but in the days when I had an apartment parking lot, getting the vacuum out was not an option. :no:

I think I'll definitely spring for a set of fronts after the new year. :yes:

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Stopped by to check on it. Still at the shop, will finally have it back next week, envelope full of cash guaranteed that.

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
Did a complete fluid check on the TB, and I mean, complete. I even checked front and rear dif, tranny, and transfer case fluid level. Winter is coming and I don't need either of my DD's having issues for me to work on in the freezing cold :yes:

Did the same to my '97 K1500.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
This weekend my buddy and I installed the Transgo/Sonnax combo kit that I've used in my previous 4L60E transmissions along with a new filter and fluid. Changed the oil as well. The dealership monkey snugged the drain plug properly but cranked that oil filter on dry apparently as I crushed the filter trying to get it off. Had to use a strap wrench (which crushed it more) to get it to finally spin free. Good thing I decided to do the change at my buddy's work and not by myself in my driveway as I don't think I could have gotten it off with the tools I have here.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Last night. Tried out my new leds in my fogs and I'm not happy. How hard is it to get a true pure white 880 leds bulbs. These have a hint of blue and I'm not feeling them at all.

The first photo are the Sylvania bulbs that I'm currently using.

I had to shut off the low beams so you guys could see what I'm talking about.

If anyone wants them let me know there your for free. You pay shipping of course.

Attachments

• 20151027_195145.jpg
    20151027_195145.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2
  • 20151027_195441.jpg
    20151027_195441.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20151027_175833.jpg
    20151027_175833.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.