What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
HARDTRAILZ said:
Figured you and BT would build a set like his.
Never crossed our minds

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Easy peasy

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't wanna rape this thread anymore, but how would you go about that?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Filled tires back up

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Installed switch for fog lights today, now they operate separately from the headlights. Changed out all of the bolts under the hood to stainless steel.

Yesterday I removed the headlights, grill, front bumper, and fender liners to figure out why my front bumper was not lining up properly. Got it all worked out, cleaned all of the bugs off. Took the kids to school and the front is COVERED with bugs again. Smfh

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Dropped it off for a transmission rebuild. Should end up with 5 pinion planetaries, hardened sunshell, upgraded clutch packs, Corvette Servos and a trans cooler installed. Trans guy said it sounded like one of the planetaries had failed, so why not go all out. I asked for firm shifts. Should tow great and handle larger than stock tires well.

Reactions: mcsteven and Capote

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Drove it around town on some errands. Stopped by AA on the way home to have the battery load tested.

:coffee:

20150926_130906.jpg

Checked my receipt, I've had it for only 23 months, so still well under warranty. Hit up Walmart before coming home since the website said pretty much none of the locations within 5 miles of me had the right size battery, which couldn't be right. :no: They had a few, but it was crazy packed, so I'm gonna come back first thing in the morning and swap this one out. :thumbsup:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Got a ticket earlier for no front plate. Smh. Luckily got out in time to see it. Jumped in the truck floored it to auto zone. I bought a few body panel plastic anchors installed them and put my plate back on. Then floored it to the police station Saw the desk person. They told me to send the ticket in with a few pictures as they signed off that it was fixed. Then asked me how I got it done and back to the station in such short of a time from when the ticket was issused. Lmao. I'm glad they didn't make a big deal about it.uploadfromtaptalk1443312763420.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443312777905.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Took it to Walmart at 8am to swap batteries. Contrary to what I was previously told, even Walmarts with no auto center have to test the batteries before giving you a new one. Shame though, girl behind the counter barely knew how to use the machine. The side post setup confused her pretty good, and even when the machine asked if it was a top post, or side post setup, she asked me what that meant :duh:

Anyway, battery tested at 165 CCA, WAY down from the 490 CCA from yesterday. So got my free replacement. Sucks though, none of the 78s on the rack had carry handles. :mad: Got the new battery in, and realized I really dislike our whole battery hold down setup. Too much stuff in the way that has to get removed/replaced. :no:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Blckshdw said:
Took it to Walmart at 8am to swap batteries. Contrary to what I was previously told, even Walmarts with no auto center have to test the batteries before giving you a new one. Shame though, girl behind the counter barely knew how to use the machine. The side post setup confused her pretty good, and even when the machine asked if it was a top post, or side post setup, she asked me what that meant :duh:

Anyway, battery tested at 165 CCA, WAY down from the 490 CCA from yesterday. So got my free replacement. Sucks though, none of the 78s on the rack had carry handles. :mad: Got the new battery in, and realized I really dislike our whole battery hold down setup. Too much stuff in the way that has to get removed/replaced. :no:
Just take it all off and leave it off [emoji6]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Capote said:
Just take it all off and leave it off [emoji6]
I'm considering ditching the hold down bar, modding the battery box by cutting the bottom areas under the cable cutouts, so it can be removed without having to disconnect the battery. Since it's body color matched, wanna keep that there. :cool:

Reactions: Reprise

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I just modified the box on my Trailblazer. The bar wasn't too much of a pita.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I'm considering ditching the hold down bar, modding the battery box by cutting the bottom areas under the cable cutouts, so it can be removed without having to disconnect the battery. Since it's body color matched, wanna keep that there. :cool:
First time I went to check my battery and realized I had to disconnect it to do so I cut long slots in the cover!

Drove my Silverado on the interstate at 75 for ~30 minutes. While I like the muffler I got it does have a lot of drone on the interstate that gets irritating after a while. I've heard something about a "J pipe" to cut out resonant frequencies that cause drone so I'm looking into that a bit.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sparky said:
Drove my Silverado on the interstate at 75 for ~30 minutes.
:confused: In the post the tilde looks like a minus sign, so I WAS going to ask you how you mastered time travel, and you say better be posting a how-to thread later :raspberry: But in the quote, it shows up properly. Will save the clowning for later.

Truck seemed to be in better spirits this morning. Dome lights didn't flicker like they had been doing, but the starter clacked pretty loud one time upon startup :undecided: Same noise you get with an almost dead battery that won't fire the engine. Seemed fine after that though. Will be checking the connections when I get home this afternoon. I didn't crank down on the studs, so I wouldn't strip the threads in the battery like the last time :hopeless:

Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I ditched that battery box years ago, but even with dual terminals I could not find a reason I needed to ditch the bar and it has stayed put.

This weekend i used the GMT as a workhorse to move around trailers and get most of the final construction materials for the basement. May need a bit more drywall, but waiting til i get through my supply so I dont end up with a bunch of excess.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Weather has changed for the worse in Ohio now. Highs in the 50's. Nothing but clouds and rain the past week and still another week to come. So I'll be preparing the beaSSt to be parked for the season. Rearrange the garage a bit to tuck her in the corner and bust out the battery tender.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well before I park the beaSSt I had to take my dog to the rehab center for her consultation appt to try and get her to walk again... and of course the beaSSt was thirsty too.

20150930_134726_zpsw94s877z.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yesterday I aired the tires up a bit (they were a bit low), used it to haul a stove, and bought something for it. Bought another component today.

Reactions: Matt and Mounce

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20151002_131313.jpg

The wife said one of the headlights was acting up so brought the tahoe in to take a looksee. Needs a ballast. Went to pop leds in for turn/marker and noticed the lenses were coming undone. So added some clear silicone and got them cooking under a heat lamp to get them set up.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20151004_113558.jpg

Finally had the time to put some water pump pulley holding tools to the test against my stuck to %$#& fan clutch nut on the TB.

20151004_124144.jpg

Spoiler alert - the tool from toolguy1954 won!

So new water pump and I went ahead and threw on a new idler pulley because it was original and I was already in there. The idler had a little ringing to it when I spun it by hand but not too bad. Ended up with 186K on the OEM water pump and idler.

I filmed the water pump holding tool battle. It was awesome that something that someone made themselves beat the J tool. I'm waiting to hear back from toolguy1954 before I edit the vid so I can include his comments and see if he's going to make more.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I popped open the underside of the dash to see if I could "manually" position the blend door actuators on the heat setting, but I could only get my hand to the passenger side one and it was completely seized. So I ordered both new blend door actuators.

I also ordered new CV half shafts because my passenger inside joint is noisy and the boot is leaky.

I figure I better get these repairs done while outside temps are still reasonable...

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Gave the Voy some rust protection. Simple underbody coating for $50 with all the money benefiting a local school. Technician wearing mask but not the glasses - oops.

21838808400_ff65de386c_c_d.jpg

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Called about it, shop said it should be getting in today, another week. I'd be irate if he didn't have such a good reputation for his work, had a lot of other transmissions in the shop too. It is supposed to be my DD and I miss it, my wagon is not supposed to be a DD.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got more parts for it. Lights and floor mats. Also cleaned out the interior yesterday. Kids accumulate a bunch

Reactions: 68impalacp

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Pulled the camper for the first time with the ext. Definitely ready to put a trans cooler in and tune it. It did fine but my truck is way better :smile:

Comparison of the trans Temps

Pulling the camper my truck never went over 170° usually around 165° even in over drive. (Running 2 Hayden 415 coolers)

Ext ran a solid 210°-225° never in over drive. Stock cooler sucks. (Fresh fluid, flush, and filter, dex 6)

Pulled great though!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pulled the camper for the first time with the ext. Definitely ready to put a trans cooler in and tune it. It did fine but my truck is way better :smile:

Comparison of the trans Temps

Pulling the camper my truck never went over 170° usually around 165° even in over drive. (Running 2 Hayden 415 coolers)

Ext ran a solid 210°-225° never in over drive. Stock cooler sucks. (Fresh fluid, flush, and filter, dex 6)

Pulled great though!

Probably ran that warm because the stock cooler pretty much forces the trans to match the engine temp. Unless 02 is weird on how it reports PIDs to Torque, my trans has always followed my engine temp pretty darn closely. But 212k miles tells me the temp can't be all bad, I guess...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Messed woth the sub amp gain and crossover. Much better

Reactions: xavierny25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online