What are you doing today? [Part II]

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I saw something yesterday that may help those of us who are vertically challenged (aka short on one end) that is very clever. I had filled up my truck with fuel and then walked into the convenience store. I wanted to check my oil level on my truck but wanted to give the oil a few more minutes to drain before checking. Upon walking out of the store a man was checking his oil, but he was standing on the sidewalk with his truck on the parking lot. This truck was pulled up to the sidewalk at the front of the store with his front wheels touching the curb. With him standing on the sidewalk this "made" him around six inches taller than he normally would be (in relation to the truck height) making it easier to reach the dip stick. Effectively he had a 6-8" step to help him reach the dipstick. Way to simple! Funny to me he had the same dodge truck and about my same height, but I told him what a clever way to assist in reaching the dipstick that I had never seen before.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
We got coyotes coming to close again. Its either a wolf or a hybrid coming around. Walks right past our vehicles parked in front of the house. I haven't seen him but his paws are massive. The other day I saw what I thought were coyotes a couple hundred meters past our drive, sitting on the hill watching the neighbours cattle. They were grey, not tan or brown and they were big.

Then my wife calls me to say that a yote is wandering past the paddocks, at 2pm of all times. I snuck out and got a good sight picture as he hid behind some windbreak. The .308 blew out his chest. The bastard was decent sized, heavy, mangey but his feet were half the size of the big guy.

Attachments

• 20240219_142506.jpg
    20240219_142506.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 6

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today was a day off for Family Day. Loaded up the sled on the trailer and headed west with the TB (the Sierra was with wifey at the family's acreage). That was the only way I could get some riding in as the trails around here were still closed. Drove an hour, unloaded and went. The trails were actually in pretty decent shape. Not a lot of snow and not all the trails were open, and those that were, all were the old railway beds so it made for some long, straight, flat and fast riding, which can get boring after a while. Rode a total of 200km.

The new shorter windshield is not to my liking. The wind hits me right in the helmet causing horrendous wind noise at anything above 70km/h. Ear plugs made it worse. It wasn't so bad with my old full height windshield. Either I'm gonna have to figure something out or I'll have to change the windshield again. Man my tinnitus is really bad tonight :frown:

Back to delivering parts tomorrow :worried:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As luck would have it, I tried to swear off so many projects this year, and try to save up some money. So of course, something wants to pop up. Couple weeks ago my 20+ year old Bose Accoustimass bass module started having a resonance issue. Was having issues with certain midrange frequencies, acoustic guitar, certain automotive related shows where the engines hit high RPMs, and certain vocal ranges.

So what do we do around here when something goes sideways on us? Take it apart and poke around of course! Got the back cover off, and removed the amp/crossover unit easily enough.

20240224_125603_resize.jpg20240224_130225_resize.jpg20240224_131119_resize.jpg

With the connector to the speakers exposed, decided to do a little test, take the module out to the EXT and connect it to the subwoofer outputs on the amp there. Played pretty nicely, although could hear a slight distortion, which sounded like it was coming from the back corner of the box.

20240224_132718_resize.jpg

No amount of pressure in any spots made any change, so decided to pry the inner rear cover off exposing the 2 speakers. After getting the screws out, stumbled onto the solid strand wires, wound around the speaker connector posts. The wires had barely enough slack to get them taken out. Was able to connect them to the stereo receiver in the bedroom for another test. Neither speaker sounded bad when being held in my hands, even at high volume.

20240224_133548_resize.jpg20240224_135648_resize.jpg20240224_135940_resize.jpg20240224_143224_resize.jpg

So at this point I'm kinda stuck, with no obvious problem. As cheap as midrange speakers are these days, I could drop a few coins on some 5.25" and see if they play nice. I know they wouldn't be perfect since this box was likely designed around these specific speakers, but the internals of the box are still pretty rigid. So I think aged speakers that have seen a lot of use over 2 decades are the likely culprits. :undecided:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... ebay has this Odd Assortment of Bose Automotive Sub-Woofers that might could "Fill In The Blanks..."

Sidebar... Some ASMR Snowmobile Trail Prepping being done by Andrew Camarata and Friends that @Mooseman and @BrianF might appreciate. We seldom get ANY Snow anymore down here in the Eff Ell AAA:

Last edited:

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Helped my son, his GF, and my soon-to-be 1 year old grandson move most of their stuff back to Lincoln from Omaha. I had Snowball packed pretty well, Frankie hauled the dressers, bed, and a couple other heavy items. My wife's '06 TB was well packed, also. The munchkin's car had a pretty good load, as well.
Didn't take I-80, took hwy 6 which runs from Lincoln to Omaha. Everything went well. Got to meet her adoptive parents, had a good time. My son has applied at the Purina plant in Crete, Ne. which is southwest of Lincoln. $23 to start. $24 after two months. Hope he gets hired!
Snowball & Frankie.jpg

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Not too much around here. My oldest has her learners now so let the games begin.... actually she is doing really well, the years of riding horses, sleds, quads and so on has really helped.

We got another massive multi day snow storm. High east winds, snow and terrible wind chill. It will bring in -30 ambients again next week but then subside to normal highs.

But, I still braved the weather because we have over a foot of nice powder on the trails. A few days back my one sled, Shitty Bill stalled out and had to be towed back. I tore down the carb for a clean and rejet, now she runs like a top again. The powder was deep and I got stuck heading up a little slope. Thankfully I have reverse and could turn around and take another run. Lots of fun!

Cooked up some ribs to finish the day.

Attachments

• 20240302_163449.jpg
    20240302_163449.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240302_163850.jpg
    20240302_163850.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240302_164243.jpg
    20240302_164243.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 1

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If like me, you are looking for a Hypnotic Sleep Aid for Night Owls or if you live in an Earthquake Prone Region.... Drop in on this LIVE Channel that globally Monitors Seismic Activity and also sounds an audible Warning Bell that changes with the intensity and frequency of these constant events.This is Great ASMR Science for distracting yourself in an interesting manner:

PS in the Year 1700, The Japanese Islands experienced and recorded a Gigantic Tsunami Wave that arrived after propagating across the Pacific Ocean when the American Northwest Coast Tectonic Plate collapsed 300 Feet below Sea Level and then flooded inland Washington such that the local Indian Tribes reported later finding their Canoes stuck hundreds of feet above ground in the Tree Tops This event was later observed and reported to the Lewis & Clarke Expedition.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well I was supposed to get some sled time but we were hammered by the storm Saturday night. Took all Sunday and most of today to almost dig out. Still lots to do but now the extreme cold is here. Back to -30 ambients and near -40 windchills. But hey, by the weekend it will be above 0.

Yesterday I was cutting a 5 foot hole through the impassable driveway. If the machine had traction, I just kept pushing. I had snow end up on the roof. I had the wiper going but it got covered and eventually broke.

I tore it out and found what broke. I cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner and used two part epoxy to hold it together. Will see how it holds up tomorrow or the next day. If not, I'll order another.

Attachments

• 20240304_181351.jpg
    20240304_181351.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240304_180441.jpg
    20240304_180441.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 5

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
As I was packing it in for the evening, I forgot I had to park my sleds again. I have two in the shop but left Shitty Bill and Shaky Mike outside. They had been covered in snow. One was shoveled and rode out, the other had to be towed from beneath a snow bank. Just a size comparison from one of the snow piles we made this weekend.

Attachments

• 20240304_190524.jpg
    20240304_190524.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 5

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today's the day. After the written exam, I'm doing a video interview for that job this morning. So that means from 12 candidates, it's likely down to two or three or even possibly just me. My advantages are that I know the organization, the way they think and have used the systems I'm applying for.

It happens at 9am. Wish me luck!

Edit: There was a mistake in the invite. The email said 9am however the MS TEAMS invitation said 1pm. Confirmed it's at 1pm.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Good luck!!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interview went OK, not great, just OK. What may have killed me is that I didn't have any recent work project experience. Did bullshit my way through it with some stuff from my job at the dealership and a "project" of fixing a sled for a guy. The interview was supposed to last an hour, I blasted through it in 30 minutes. There was just so much BS I could fill in with. I did mention at the end that I know the organization, the people and the way they work so hopefully that can inch me up a bit.

In any case, it will be 2-4 weeks before I hear if I got it. Then they will check references and then would take 6-7 MONTHS for the security clearance investigation.

That tunnel I'm digging out of the dealership is getting longer :frown:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I need to start watching the job market again myself. The environment at my job had started taking a turn a long time ago, it's just getting ridiculous now. Lots of veteran employees have left in the past year, I've been here 7.5 years, and there's now less than 10 people who have a longer tenure than me. We've got a lot of resources for online training on our various platforms, but for whatever reason the COO is drifting backwards to a "someone (meaning me) should hold monthly, in person, training sessions..." Doesn't help that we keep hiring people who have very little computer experience, so they struggle from the jump, and don't stay too long, and then the cycle repeats. It's a hot mess.

Kinda getting the itch to start another project, or mess with some existing ones. Need to refrain though. I plan to get all my debts from the winter projects paid off this month, but I should be getting a new escrow statement in the next month or so. With my home insurance jumping yet again, we'll have to see how much the shortage is gonna be :mad: There's also talks of car insurance going up too, and mine renews in a month.

For whatever reason, I still can't seem to predict the Powerball or Mega millions numbers :bonk:

59840Surfer

Apr 19, 2020
Montana
1. Installing a roll-up bed tonneau
2. Installing a Boss BE920WCPA-C head unit + Crutchfield's installation module for steering wheel controls.
3. Installing new Harmon-Kardon 3-way speakers in all 4 doors
4. Installing front and rear cameras
5. Installing new Nilite headlight enclosures with Nilite LEDs
6. Installing new taillight lenses/housings with new LEDs.
7. Installing "Blue Ice" door lights and puddle lamps
8. Installing a Midland MXT575 GMRS radio and a 6.3dB gain antenna with NMO mount of roof.
9. I will be programming 4 new (blue) key fobs.

I will be working late --- good thing I'm retired.

I won't have any time for adult beverages today.

Monday --- OTOH ---> I will be installing the truck style towing mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights ... and trying to find a decent quality, formed dash cover.

There MIGHT be a Road Ranger 40-channel USB/LSB/AM CB with a 102" SS whip going in too.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Not much here. So just as fast as the snow blew in, its melting. After the storm it was quite cold again. Come this weekend, it was melting heavily. I went for a rip with my daughter and 5 minutes in, I was stuck badly. With my bad back, my daughter and I worked hard moving this 500+ pound sled around. Barely made it back to park. There was a solid 2 feet of snow but it was sticky and slush was coming over the windshield.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@BrianF ... Brother... Having lived with the results of a life altering back Injury and back surgery since 2015... I'll tout the getting of THIS Back Brace... Not Once ...but enough times to have them strategically packaged in Large Zip Lock Bags and placed in the locations where I might NEED them at any given moment...My Garage... In the House...and IN THE TRUCK...so I can throw them on and avoid further injury... and why would I go to this extent to have them almost at arms reach? Because they are AWESOME... and they WORK without discomfort:

BESTBACKBRACEVER.jpg

Once you put this Thing ON...you immediately stop worrying about re-injury and can Get Stuff DONE.

Attachments

• 81nHAL+62vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81nHAL+62vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 7133W-Xt9NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    7133W-Xt9NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 41AQTqpt-LL._AC_.jpg
    41AQTqpt-LL._AC_.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 61VQuaWvHKL._AC_SL1311_.jpg
    61VQuaWvHKL._AC_SL1311_.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: BrianF

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Blckshdw ... Re: Post #2,015 Give THIS Link A Look... You might just find a New View to your Future in their Information Technology Management *Space*: Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First day back at work after a 4 day weekend with my son and his daughter came down. Had a good time together.

Another job I applied for I will be writing an exam. Funny thing is I just found out that my manager is also applying for the same job and writing the same exam! We're both tunneling to get out so he's good about it. My only advantage is that I have previous experience with the organization and may have a priority to hire retirees. It's a fleet coordinator job. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
@mrrsm thank you for that!! I am quite interested! I got my hip and shoulders adjusted a few days ago and it sure helped. But I may have waited to long before getting adjusted. My muscles are still stiff and I am having some mobility issues. But, I'll take it easy a few more days and keep stretching it out.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When you first put this "Thing" on...it will feel just like the first time that gorgeous girlfriend you had that REALLY adored you... threw her arms around you in her fond embrace and whispered... "Put them around me ... Baby!" ... I'm NOT Kidding... :>)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BrianF

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Drove about 1-1/2 hrs to the small town where my mom lives. The kids, most of the grand-kids, and her only great-grand-child (my son's son) were there. We had a good time. My mom is 87. She's not doing badly, but she's not doing super great, either.
I don't think little guy felt too well, though. He felt kind of warm, and wasn't his normal happy smiley self. Just wanted to be held by his mom and grandma. He just turned 1, and the immune system is till figuring itself out. I think he'll be fine.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Gutted the living room in preparation of the hardwood floor being refinished....this time in epoxy since the last poly job did not hold up too well.
Also had to fix a ladder to my upper deck so that I can access my bedroom during the process.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday was a good day. Had a friend over spend the day. After going out for breakfast, he helped with taking the cover off the RV while I replaced the auger motor on my smoker (stripped a gear after a jam). Also cleaned the smoker out completely. Then smoked some pork bellies and then some huge beef/pork meatballs, kinda like meatloaf. Instead of bread crumbs, used crushed pork rinds. Turned out good and tasty but a tad dry. Both were lean meats. I'll need to add some fat next time or grind up some pork bellies.

Sorry, no gratuitous staged pics.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wrote the exam for the fleet job. Was pretty simple and I think I had the right answers for the two questions. Since I've been there and know what they're looking for, I knew what to put down. My manager, not having worked in a gov't job before, may be at a disadvantage. But then who knows how many others are also competing. We shall see...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gearing up for another long hot summer. The dandelions and other weeds had been getting comfortable all over the place, so I ordered a new computer for the lawn mower. Really don't want to go through another summer of the stop/start issue, so wanted to try and get that resolved before the rainy season begins.

I already had the body panels off, so swapping them was just a matter of getting the connectors apart. 6 were a breeze, the last one wanted to fight, of course.

20240319_173215_resize.jpg

Quick test run around the back yard was promising, so threw on the bagger, and cut up all the weeds. Only filled 3/4 of one of the bags, added that to the compost pile. It was nice to be able to get the 1/3 acre done while running each area straight through. Skipped the string trimmer, just wanted to not have the yard looking like a weed field. Put the mower back in the shed, and put all the body panels back on. Not sure what the deal is, but a number of the screw holes weren't lining up anymore, and I lost a couple of the speed nuts :confused: :mad:

At least it's all together now, and working properly. I may buy some metal ramps, as my wood ones are starting to get a little loose in the joints. Have my eye on some HF ones that should do the job, we'll see how much longer the current set lasts before it heads to the scrap lumber pile.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw in the shop another 3.0L Duramax with literally the whole front end taken off just to replace the front crankshaft seal. Hope I NEVER have to get that deep into mine after the warranty expires. :eek:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
We went to the Sydney Royal Easter Show yesterday, it's like a state fair. Saw some displays, watched some wood chopping events, fed some sheep and goats and got a show bag (Full of candy and some other crap).

PXL_20240321_235611022.jpg
PXL_20240322_002440824.jpg

PXL_20240322_002527230.MP.jpg

PXL_20240322_002622315.MP.jpgPXL_20240322_002717824.MP.jpg

PXL_20240322_011407127.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240322_024153827.jpg

PXL_20240322_024315518.jpg

PXL_20240322_024404408.jpg

PXL_20240322_025025130.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240322_034938744.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240322_034941275.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240322_035036720.jpg

PXL_20240322_035334296.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Ran to Bunnings yesterday morning. Bunnings is the largest hardware store chain in Australia. I snapped the tip off one of my screwdrivers that my Dad gave me 30 odd years ago and I can only get them here, so that's why I needed to go. We also went to the sausage sizzle.

A sausage sizzle is a way of charities or sports teams to raise money and they usually do it at Bunnings on a Saturday morning. They cook and Australian beef sausage and grilled onions, put them on a piece of white bread and put on tomato sauce (ketchup).

PXL_20240322_215718165.jpg

PXL_20240322_215829932.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got some bad news yesterday. I didn't get the job at the alarm systems. I knew my interview wasn't that good. I have requested an informal interview to find out where I was lacking.

So that tunnel collapses but I'm still digging out towards that fleet job. Haven't heard anything about the results from the written exam. That job is a lot simpler and my past experience as a cop will show in my answers. My only worry is my age even though technically they're not supposed to discriminate because of it. The manager that also applied to it is less than half my age, is a vehicle technician and has way more experience in vehicle fleet management.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I had an interesting week so far. A new hire out at the farm made quite the impression their first week. Day one they took out the glass on the bi-directional and blew apart the hydraulic ram for the grapple. Glad they were not hurt but ok.....

4th working day and the skid steer is down. Moving frozen snow piles and blew the windshield out. Good-bye.

So now this week I need to find time in the evenings to clean this all up and source glass for the bi-directional (its a 1985 so probably get new ones cut) and the new door glass from John Deere should be in.

Not sure which hardware is coming on the door so I need to clean up all the parts and so on.

Attachments

• 20240324_140340.jpg
    20240324_140340.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240324_140330.jpg
    20240324_140330.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 4

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
We went out to Bathurst yesterday to visit my cousins and Aunt and Uncle. If you're into motor racing, Bathurst is the home of one of the best road race courses in the world, Mount Panorama.

PXL_20240324_003025939.jpg

Having raced cars I never had the opportunity to race there, but as it's all public roads, I finally got my lap in yesterday. The speed limit is 60kph/40mph. During the race these guys are doing 280kph/175mph+ down the mountain and where I was down to 25kph/15mph in the really twisty bits, they're doing 60kph/25mph or more.

Here is a link to my video run.

We had a great time meeting all the kids. On the way home we stopped in the Blue Mountains and went to the Three Sister rock formation.

PXL_20240324_064503750.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online