What are you doing today? [Part II]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thats a mess, good thing woods cheap…just replace it all including the ledger. You need some valley flashing the cover the transition once you reframe the roof. Just pry up the old shingles and slide it in…and get some hurricane clips (simpson strongtie a50) or sim…

I was actually looking at supplies and materials over the weekend. I may try to tackle this job over the winter, if I can get some other projects out of the way.

I was chilling bud, then i got censored…for calling NaSA gross.

Why i spend time typing if i gonna get censored…

Whats so hard about free speech, and respect for people these days.

I'd recommend reading through the site rules section so there isn't any confusion on what types of posts will get cleaned up. That should save you some headaches moving forward. :book:

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Know1else

May 30, 2023
Carolina
I was actually looking at supplies and materials over the weekend. I may try to tackle this job over the winter, if I can get some other projects out of the way.

I'd recommend reading through the site rules section so there isn't any confusion on what types of posts will get cleaned up. That should save you some headaches moving forward. :book:

My goodness sir, i get it, they don’t want to read all the xtra 65, and i failed to read theirs. I wasnt droppin eff bombs, or endorsed candidates, complaining about inflationary debt spending. I was off topic a touch, and the moderated fixed it. And i moved my rant here.

I’ve got some nickels and dimes in my florida vacation account, but i better get my horsepowered covered wagon fixed before i kick it down 77 to Tallahassee.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now to our regular program :smile:

Stayed home from work with a "man-cold". Just felt like absolute poop today. We'll see how I am tomorrow.
And still at home.

On another note, my job at the dealership has lost its lustre (actually it did a long time ago :laugh: ) I found out that they average overtime over 4 weeks instead of just paying OT at 1.5x on anything over 44 hours in a week. So the two weeks I did OT because of winter tire changeover season is now lost because of these days off sick. The hours are paid but just at 1x. Total cheap ass BS! Apparently I signed an agreement for this, which is the only way they can make it legal. Not doing OT again that's for sure! Also looking for another job. Can only go so far on rebates on parts. The rebate on service is no longer a rebate since they jacked the hourly rate to $199/hour, which is $100/hour for me. Was thinking of getting the TB's engine mounts installed but if it's a 4 or 5 hour job, that's like a week's pay!

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Last day off but have some more fencing to do as the sun warms up this frigid wasteland. Actually its been an awesome fall. Normally we have snow on the ground and well into negativesnas daily highs. Currently above freezing during the day and single digit negatives at night.

I have ribs seasoned, which will hit the grill in a few hours. My wife has a function to go to tonight so its just the kids and I for supper.

Moose, I had thought about getting the 4" tape and cover the whole mess but seeing as I had some time and was working in a heated barn, I was going for broke.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The other day my wife needed the quad for some task. Wouldnt start. Slow turn over that stalled on compression stroke. Charged the battery but no better. Wouldnt fire on pull start either. Fuel in carb, spark checked, pulse coil checked (if battery and starter dying, it wont spark using the electric start), shot of gas in carb throat all to no avail. Plug was dry, which by that point should be soaked.

Rebuilt the starter, changed the belt and blew the dust out of the clutches while I was in there. Doing this I noticed the carb slipped off the bloody boot!! Put that back on and away we go. If you have excess air while trying to crank the engine, it will stall out on the compression stroke.

On a side note, the starter was slowly dying so I had a brush kit on hand already. You can see the wear and tear on it. Super simple to rip out and fix. Cost me 8$ but I had to grind down some alignment tabs. As well, I was surprised at the amount of belt dust that came out of the clutches, clouds of it.

Attachments

• 20231117_112720.jpg
    20231117_112720.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231117_120517.jpg
    20231117_120517.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231118_133448.jpg
    20231118_133448.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231118_134414.jpg
    20231118_134414.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 5

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Took advantage of the last nice (60 deg F+) day we are likely to have for a while and rearranged the shed. In the spring I arrange things so the lawnmower is facing the door and the snowblower is off to the side. In the fall I reverse it so the snowblower is facing the door.
Once the majority of the leaves have fallen, I'll contact the lawn care company that I pay to remove the leaves. I'll probably have them clean the gutters as well.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Circled back to the extension off the shed, since I'd been putting it off all summer. Got the majority of the roof framing torn out. The 2 side pieces will stay and get reused, since they're in pretty good condition. The last 2 to come out are being stubborn, the screws near the bottom over the "windows" facing the water were stripped and overdriven. My speed out bits couldn't do anything with them. Have a multi tool coming next week, so I'll use that to just cut the screws.

One unexpected discovery, the "window" framing was essentially hung from the roof framing, and not really attached to the 4x4 posts on the corners or middle of the wall. So during a fit of frustration and I pushed up on one of the remaining joists, the whole thing flexed and lifted :eek:

20231125_153902_resize.jpg

I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 and splitting it between the corner posts and center post. Throw some hurricane ties on it to give a more stable structure, and I can run screws into that with the metal roofing panels. :undecided: The screens have some small tears from squirrels climbing them, so I'm also considering closing off everything for cleaner storage. Can't find any matching cement board like these anywhere.

As I got those pieces down, I looked near the top where it meets the roof of the shed and found another problem. That header piece was pretty nasty in the center, and unfortunately some ants also got between that piece, and the one for the shed roof, so there's damage behind it. Doesn't look super bad, but I haven't gotten that piece down, more problems with stripped and rusted screws. Tentative plan is to dig out all the damaged wood, hit it with some hardener, and pack it with filler putty. Should be able to sand it smooth and be back in business... In theory...

20231125_153921_resize.jpg

As a result of all that, the scrap wood pile has grown quite a bit. Really haven't had much need for it like I thought I would with other random projects. One thing I may do, is reinforce the rails on my fence. They seem kinda thin, and have been broken in a few places by idiots trying to be cool by kicking it. :hissyfit:

20231125_160810_resize.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got a little more cleanup done out back. A bunch of crap that I pulled from the outbuilding so I could scoop out all the leaves and crumbled pieces of rot, got tossed in the garbage bin. Should really do the same in the shed this weekend :undecided:

You might have better luck with a cut off wheel/angle grinder. I have yet to find a multi tool blade that likes screws...:twocents:
This made me think to check my power tools wishlist to see if anything was marked down, and sure enough one of the Makita angle grinders was $25 lower. Nearly pulled the trigger, then it dawned on me to try using my reciprocating saw. Threw on a fine toothed blade, but it was one of the short ones, and couldn't reach. :duh:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For "Rainy (Or Snow Day) Need To Stay Home" Viewing.... Just Dropped in on The Internet Archive to catch ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) and Jeff Lynne's 2014 London, Hyde Park Concert:

PS... Just Check Out Jeff's Beautiful "SunBurst" Gibson Les Paul Guitar!

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Weather warmed up and the bug I've had all week started to settle down, so got out in the back yard for a little more project work. On today's agenda, tackle the exterior electrical outlet box and swap in a pair of GFCI outlets and a new weatherproof cover.

The old one did have a flip down cover, but had been broken off. There was an on/off switch next to it, that I have no idea what it is/was connected to. The switch's wiring goes down the conduit into the ground, and then to who knows where. First thought was the deck near the water, as that used to have a roof that I had to tear down years ago. But there's no wires there... I'm not digging it up to find out though...

20231202_135613_resize.jpg20231202_135838_resize.jpg

Of course everything was rusted to hell, and there were even wasp nests in there that I had to clean out. Thankfully those were old and vacant. There was enough slack to trim the ends of the existing line wires. Had some spare 14/3, so used a section of that. Got the new outlets wired up and in. New cover didn't match up with the mounting holes for the box, so ended up connecting the cover to the outlets themselves. Thinking back, I could have run the screws through the cover and outlet mounts, and got through to the box that way... Oh well.
20231202_160222_resize.jpg20231202_160230_resize.jpg

Feeling somewhat accomplished, went back to the shed extension. Got a longer metal blade on the reciprocating saw and got through most of the screws that were in the way, except for 2 before it snapped. :mad: But I was able to get eyes on what I needed, the condition of the wood on the shed's roof. It was about as bad as I thought, the worst is in the center, towards the outsides the damage isn't as deep. The spot where they bought the electrical through for an overhead light was the worst, the ants ate around that and much of the nesting was in that area.
20231202_165616_resize.jpg

Will probably take a flap disc to it to clear out any loose material. The hardener/epoxy putty kit I have, doesn't have enough left for all that, so time to reorder. On the other side, as careful as I tried to be, one of the "windows" collapsed. Having the window framing hung from the roof frame, and not secured at all in the right corner pretty much doomed that idea from the start. The screen was damaged from cats and squirrels anyway.
20231202_165843_resize.jpg

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Went to the great city of Prince Albert on Friday and Saturday. My oldest had her first basketball tournament. They came together and won the B side champ.

Seeing as I lost a taillight a few months back on my old rez van.... the same one that keeps coming out, I found cheapo used at a junkyard in P Aids. 42 bucks out the door. Great guys at that yard.

Also swung by Princess Auto, which is the Cambodian version of Harbour Freight. I picked up a ball joint adapter set and will place an order for the XL press as they were sold out. If i get one use out of it, I will be ahead. My brother in law has the smaller version and it worked like a champ on his Dana axled Jeeps. I am slowly getting the tools and parts together to do the ball joints on my 3500.

Today I put the taillight on. I double sealed the lens to the housing with clear silicone as well as one of the slip fittings. I rather fight to have to replace a bulb than lose another on the highway.

Attachments

• 20231203_122816.jpg
    20231203_122816.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 2

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
I am slowly getting the tools and parts together to do the ball joints on my 3500.
Just did the ball joints on my 1500 Suburban and I thought I might share some hard won learning as it pertains to pickle forks. In a nutshell, make sure the fork has the appropriate dimensions necessary to go around the ball stud and to be able to fully engage to max height without butting up against the knuckle (I had to make a couple of spacers in order to make it work).

Pics & details here: What did you do to your GMT today? [Part II]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Cloudy and rainy day, so a good time for an indoor project this time. :biggrin: Cracked open the PS4 to get the mother board out, so I can try to replace the HDMI port. Was a little tricky getting things loose, even with some YT videos, but eventually got it.

20231203_131913_resize.jpg20231203_134110_resize.jpg

20231203_141716_resize.jpg

Got it all setup with the helping hands station, flipped on the TV for some football background noise, and got to work.... Except for the life of me, couldn't get the old port off. The solder wouldn't melt from the anchor legs that went through the board. :mad: :Banghead:

20231203_145741_resize.jpg

Tried adding lots of flux... Nope. Tried adding more solder, still nope. Biggest problem I ran into during my research, was people getting too impatient, and lifting pads off the PCB, which is the last thing I need, so shut everything off and walked away from it. I have some solder paste coming this week, will try using that to deal with the legs. If that doesn't work, then maybe buy some low melt solder as a last resort. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_142312_01_resize.jpg
    IMG_20231203_142312_01_resize.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 2

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A little while ago. "The Lil' Woman" was trying to close the Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher Door and... NOPE. Two minutes later... I found myself feeling that uncanny sensation I get whenever I look up and see her "Thousand Yard Stare" boring holes into my very soul... when she broke the silence with,

"The Dishwasher Door won't close...We NEED to get me a NEW One...RIGHT NOW!"

I smiled back at her and said, "Let me grab my cane and my cup (for more Coffee) and I'll take a look at it..." In short order, I unwound the Four #2 Phillips Head S/S Screws found along the Lower Door Inner Vertical Flanges and after dropping the Dark S/S Front Panel... I spied the Culprit hiding down inside the Latch Micro-switch Plastic Box Housing. It was One, Single Freshly Squashed *Kitty Bibble*:

SQUASHEDBIBBLE.jpg

It must have dropped down inside that Plastic Cubby when she was feeding "Baby Bird" (Her Gorgeous, Jet Black, Sexy, Sultry Female Panther of a Cat) and later on, when she closed the Door and pushed it in HARD to get the "Non-Latch" mechanism to Latch...The *Kitty Bibble* pushed the cantilever insert locking parts down inside of there WAY Too Hard and that action popped the whole internal latching mechanism loose:

IMG_8073.jpgIMG_8076.jpg

Hmmm... Actually... "The Bird" is more like THIS around HER.. and not so much like THIS around ME.. .'cause... SHE Just Loves the Old Man, WAY TOO MUCH ...to Wanna Bite HIM:

So... Getting back to the Issue... I simply used a Small Wide Blade Flat Screw Driver and while pressing in hard on the Plastic Innards from the OUTSIDE, I could hear the internal Parts *Popping* right back into place inside in front of a Polished Chrome Cross-Pin. I then Very Gently closed the Dish Washer Door... and heard it latching properly. This action thus engaged the Power Micro-Switch in the Latch Unit and the DW Started Washing as soon as the Outer Panel Collision Lights lit up.

She stood there watching me with a look of astonishment on her Pretty Face that should NOT surprise me after seeing it on so many similar occasions over the last 50 Years of Marriage. She Whistled something to me like, "Whew... Honey... I NEVER would have guessed what was wrong..." So I asked her, "Well, Baby Sweet... Do you STILL want a Brand New Dishwasher?" We laughed a little and finally, she rewarded all of this Heroic Rescue Effort ...with a Fresh Cup of Coffee.

*Crowd Goes Wild....Touchdown Tampa Bay..." - Gene Deckerhoff

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gearing up for some more project work in the back this weekend, I gathered up the air compressor, some air tools, my hardly used rechargeable spray canister, and what was left of my wood hardener bottle.

The plan was just to stage everything in the shed, so I could get to it after work tomorrow, but decided to try a little test, that turned into a lot more work than I planned. Instead of pulling out the Dremel with a flap disc, I got a wire wheel to go in an air grinder. Hooked up everything and gave it a quick test on part of the wood that wasn't so bad. That thing ATE!!!! Had to be more gentle with it, but it quickly made short work of the rest of the board that was up there. Got down to good wood real fast, and probably removed more than I needed to.

Now I was in the mood to work, even though the sun was starting to set. Cracked open the wood hardener, and poured the remaining half can into the sprayer. Pressurized it to 90PSI, popped in the straw and tried spraying it. The stream was a little too focused, so I removed the straw. Was able to lay down a pretty heavy coat across the whole board in a matter of seconds. Why they want you to apply this with a brush officially made zero sense to me :laugh: Made 2 more passes, and managed to get all of the exposed wood and then some.

Couldn't get any pics, was getting too dark out. Took the opportunity to put some air in the tires on the Gorilla Cart and lawn mower, threw everything in the shed and called it a day. Should be able to slap some wood putty up there tomorrow. Got the new wood repair kit today, I may get lucky and not need it right now after all. :cool:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Two of four sleds are up and running. Tracks checked for adjustment, chain cases re-sealed, batteries topped up, lights work and a quick wipe down after being hit with the electric blower to try and get the pile of dusty sand off them. Next off season I will get some covers.

Both needed some bottle priming right to the carb to get the fuel pumping, while one of them needed the pump resealed.

And still no snow forecast..... boys, I'm going to lose my shit soon, I got to get out on the trails soon. Quadding is fun but sledding is better.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Recovering from the dealership's Xmas party. This is a huge organization that owns 17 dealership's and 3 body shops. Over 1000 people and LOTS of free booze. Lots of fun and great dinner and dancing. Totally different atmosphere than my past parties where we were basically a bunch of cops and public servants. A real party atmosphere. So many drunk people! At least the owners make it easy to not drive drunk by providing lower rate rooms, shuttles and even pay for Ubers if necessary. Me and Mrs Moose booked a room to make it a mini weekend getaway.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Waiting for an important delivery from Amazon... and watching... waiting for THIS to arrive. It's a Toss Up as to which one will arrive next:

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At home fighting another cold or possibly getting infected with mould. There is one of the shuttle cars that is so dirty and smelly that I'm sure it's infected with mould. For months I have been asking to have it cleaned but they keep pushing it off even though we have our own vehicle reconditioning shop. I usually refuse to drive it but late yesterday, one of the techs needed a part urgently picked up and I reluctantly obliged. Even though I kept one of the windows open, I could feel getting sick. I got back and left early. Today, runny nose, headache and I feel like a pile of poop. Thing is, Mrs. Moose is also the same today so figure we caught something at the party.

When I let them know I was not coming in, found out that two others were also sick so this morning, there was only one driver. Were normally three or four. They'll likely Uber the majority of the rides.

And I have to get back at least on Friday as that's the day they're handing out free turkeys to everybody :biggrin:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Organising a replacement windscreen for my Sportage. Took a small rock right in the vision line this morning and it started with a bullseye and spread.

New one being installed Saturday morning.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mooseman ... Re: Post #1941...

FWIW... My Wife and I have to be ON HIGH GUARD for a number of health reasons against ANY of the myriad Micro-Organisms that can get the upper hand on us... (We have a combined 145 Years in "The Rear View Mirror of Life"...so far ) and on her suggestion after mentioning your present illness, she has advised that,

"Tell Mooseman ...*TAKE AN AIRBORNE ... GET HYDRATED* and that will Strengthen his Immune System... You Guys like all those things that are Made Out of METAL? Well... the *ZINC* in those AIRBORNE effervescent tablets WILL turn the tide on many an illness and help him to feel better, too."

In my experience... It is EZR to LISTEN to "The Lil Woman" ...than to Argue with her... Here is hoping for yours and Mrs. Moose's Speedy Recovery when you are exposed to a work environment that can vector in every Damned Cold and Flu Virus... (or WORSE) right in through the Front Door of The Business.

AIRBORNE.jpgAIRBORNE1.jpg

When my wife Hilda speaks... I mean that it's, "SHE...Who MUST BE... OBEYED..." - Rumpole of The Bailey

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and BrianF

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
So today I brushed up on my soldering skills.... or lack of.... last week I fixed an internal wire break on an expensive set of horse clippers. Today I fixed a small set of battery powered LED icicle lights for my youngest. She got them last year as a Christmas gift and loves them. She accidentally caught on them and ripped them in half. No worries, just some fine wires ripped out of two connections. A little solder and shrink wrap and good as new.

So now, I would like to get a set of those helping hand gator clips for future projects. I used the clips from my multimeter in a very small vise. Its been damn near 30 years since I used to solder things other than copper pipe. It is fun though.

Amazon also is issuing me a refund for the lost parcel. Not their fault but sure nice. The refund process was stupid easy. So now do I reorder from the same vendor? I still need that eternabond though.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Unless you have already acquired one ...take a few minutes to review the various "Soldering Stations" that brings along ENORMOUS Flexibility in being able to perform a very wide range of soldering and Hot Air Gun repairs.

The Prices for these systems have come down drastically enough to make them very practical and affordable. In many cases, rather than performing soldering repairs "In Situ".... having such a set-up you can quickly Un-Box onto your counter top and do very professional soldering in a fraction of the time it would take to set up conditions in the field needed to get things done.

Have a look at THESE:

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianF

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Mooseman ... Re: Post #1941...

FWIW... My Wife and I have to be ON HIGH GUARD for a number of health reasons against ANY of the myriad Micro-Organisms that can get the upper hand on us... (We have a combined 145 Years in "The Rear View Mirror of Life"...so far ) and on her suggestion after mentioning your present illness, she has advised that,

"Tell Mooseman ...*TAKE AN AIRBORNE ... GET HYDRATED* and that will Strengthen his Immune System... You Guys like all those things that are Made Out of METAL? Well... the *ZINC* in those AIRBORNE effervescent tablets WILL turn the tide on many an illness and help him to feel better, too."

In my experience... It is EZR to LISTEN to "The Lil Woman" ...than to Argue with her... Here is hoping for yours and Mrs. Moose's Speedy Recovery when you are exposed to a work environment that can vector in every Damned Cold and Flu Virus... (or WORSE) right in through the Front Door of The Business.

View attachment 110642View attachment 110643
Thanks for the recommendation however it's not available in Canuckistan except through Amazon which may take up to 3 weeks to get here. I might try another brand that is available here:

• Sad
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well it's close enough to Christmas to remind those of us that are "Late Shoppers" to Kick Things In Gear...and get ready for ...Wait For It!... Andrew Camarata's Annual Visit to the Sussin Family Christmas Tree Lighting Parade on their Homestead. THIS is a Treat for the Eyes and the Ears and I could probably enjoy watching THIS Video (@ 3/4 Speed) Every Day of MY LIFE!:

The BEST *Christmas Time ASMR" Video... EVER!

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Trackball started acting up with the left click giving some strange behavior. I remembered I opened this thing up to replace the microswitch for that button some years ago, and had to get a pack of 5 switches. Felt irritated needing to buy more than 1, didn't think I'd need to replace it again... Little did I know. :dunce:

Put the soldering goodies to work, and it was much easier this time around, compared to the Radio Shack starter kit soldering iron I had back then.

20231217_210511_resize.jpg

20231217_210605_resize.jpg

Did have a minor issue with putting the new switch in, couldn't quite hold it in place and solder from the bottom, so the new one went in tilted to one side. Ended up having to lay it on the desk, switch side down, hold the PCB down with tweezers, and hit the solder joints with hot air. Once the solder joints reflowed, the pressure on the PCB caused the switch to seat fully. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Earlier in the day, went to a sports bar with a buddy to watch the Bears snatch another defeat from the jaws of victory, but at least the Bucs beat the Packers, so it wasn't a completely bad afternoon.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Spent the last couple days in the hospital. Severe case of food poisoning, that even paralyzed part of my intestine. Had originally gone to Urgent Care, but they needed to admit me in case surgery was required. Fortunately it wasnt.. But it was still a miserable weekend. Intestine came back online yesterday morning. Ate a few small meals, everything appeared to be working.

Still not feeling 100%.. But gotta keep moving forward!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Almost time for my annual check up with the doc, so went to the lab this morning to have some blood drawn so they can see if you guys are gonna be stuck with me for the long haul :laugh:

After getting home, the weather was a little warmer, so back to work in the yard. Got the joist hangers up on the outbuilding, still need to get the lumber, and a couple more metal panels for the roof. Spaced them 20" apart, the inside edge of the 4x4 in the corner on the right is 8' on the nose, and the 2 long metal panels I have are 8 footers, so I need 4 more to match.

20231220_151122_resize.jpg

There were a bunch of short versions of the long panels in the shed, so lined them up to make sure I had enough to cover the 12 foot wide span as planned. There's a little bit of extra meat to work with, so that will give me a slight overhang for rain to drip off the sides :thumbsup:

20231220_141825_resize.jpg20231220_141835_resize.jpg

But of course, I ran into an issue. For some reason I thought all of these small pieces were 2 feet long. I chose the 20" distance not only for equal spacing to line up the length, and that it would be easy for me to fit between them on my step platform... But that I could slide the 8' panels down and start at the 2nd joist giving me a bit of overhang at the bottom, then use the short ones up top, and have a 4" overlap with the longer ones.

Turns out the short pieces are only 18", so the original plan won't work, and I don't feel like moving the hangers, although I suppose I could just move the first set, and the 1st two gaps would be funky. :undecided: So plan B is to butt the long pieces up against the roof, and move the shorter pieces down to the bottom. They'd only have 1 row of screws in them going into wood, and I'd use less overhang, so the longer panels covered them up more, sorta like this... Decisions, decisions.

20231220_151213_resize.jpg

I'll have to make my decision pretty soon, as I need to get the roof on by the end of the weekend, we're expecting more rain on the holiday, and I'd like to have at least this part out of the way. :yes:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I watched what may be the most disturbing SCIFI Movie I ever saw as a Kid early this morning. Made under great secrecy at Universal Studios... all of the personnel and actors had to sign in and out whenever on the set during the making of "The Incredible Shrinking Man".

This is a serious and strangely melancholy film and it was a real departure back in the Fifties from the typical "Odd, Huge Monsters" arriving as they used to in most of the other SCIFI stories. It was only during this viewing that I realized the Main Actor bore the name of "Robert Scott Carey"...with his Wife calling him "Scott". My son bears those same two names and my Wife and I have always elected to call him, "Scotty" too since that was what he preferred as a Lad... So I was like..."WUUUT?" ... and just realized what a very bizarre coincidence this turned out to be!

More psychological in the beginning and well grounded in serious dialogue by nature, the main actor faces what would terrify any one of us if it had ever actually happened. But... there is no sense in adding insult to any injury by describing any more Spoilers here... Just watch what happens to a person in the "Midst" of the Atomic Age; arguably someone my Wife has described in the past as being , "THE Most Handsome Actor I have ever seen playing a role in any SCIFI Movie." Here is Grant Williams as, "The Incredible Shrinking Man"... a Lucky Find from the shelves of The Internet Archive's "VHS Vault" earlier this morning:

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Back at it again, and got some good progress done. Ended up moving all the joist hangers, spaced them an additional 1 5/8", which will allow me to have the short roof panels at the bottom be supported at 2 points about a foot apart. Got the joists cut and mounted, but not screwed in yet.

20231221_155215_resize.jpg20231221_155246_resize.jpg

As you can see on that side wall, there was damaged wood there too, that needs to be addressed. Quick check tells me that I can't fit my drill above some of the areas on the left, if the roof is in place. :mad: I'm gonna look at what backet options are available, and if I can put screws in on the faces and get that stuff solidified, then I'll go that route instead. I do have a solid section of the previous roof that will work nicely for that horizontal piece. Just needs to get spliced in place, and I think I have enough good wood in the pile to replace the couple that were completely destroyed by rot and bugs. Also, the cement board on the right side isn't secure, and flaps in the wind a little bit because of the missing wood, so need to get that taken care of.

20231221_161207_resize.jpg20231221_161231_resize.jpg

Quick test fit of the short panels at the bottom looked promising with the last joist on the outside of the 4x4 posts, instead of on the inside like I planned before. Will have screws near the bottom, and about an inch and a half overhang. Did have some old drip edge that got ripped out before, some of that could be salvageable to keep the face of the wood dry. :undecided:

20231221_161940_resize.jpg20231221_162010_resize.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Today, I decided to continue with my Late Life Theme of Playing “Scullery Maid” to My Wife’s Cooking Skills and performed the following Kitchen Tasks that lead to us having a VERY Nice Early Afternoon Meal:

Pork Chops, Baked Potato Wedges and Green Beans

For Two People:

Pre-Heat Oven to 375 Degrees.
Wash-Scrub Up enough Russet Potatoes and Slice them into Wedges.
Cover Two Baking Pans with Aluminum Foil.
Distribute Potato Wedges on the Pan and Lightly Spray them with Olive Oil.
Lightly Dust the Potato Wedges with McCormick’s Montreal Chicken Powder.
Place 6-8 (From Frozen) Thin Sliced, Center Cut, Boneless Pork Chops on the other Pan.
Place the Pans in the Oven with the Potatoes on the Top Shelf & Pork Chop Pan @ Middle.
Bake at 375 Degrees, removing the Pork Chops at 50 Minutes & Potatoes at 55 Minutes.
Use Frozen Cut Green Beans in a Small Covered Pan placed over the Small Back Burner.
The Residual Heat from the Oven will be enough to De-Frost and Cook the Green Beans.
Serve Up with a Lil' Butter on the Green Beans (NO SALT!) and the Preferred Condiments

GET SOME HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH "SECRET SAUCE" OF YOUR PARTICULAR LIKING!

ALLKINDSOFSECRETSAUCE.jpg

bon appétit
SECRETSAUCEMEAL.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Made a little more headway on the roofing project, although ran into a self made issue. I didn't check to make sure the framing was square, so of course it's off by about an inch. :duh: Used a hammer to persuade the edges a little but,not as effective as I'd hoped. Got the long panels up and screwed down, shorter panels are slid into place, but started running out of daylight and my knees were starting to complain from all the ups and downs, so I'll finish those tomorrow.

20231222_165935_resize.jpg
20231222_170810_resize.jpg

Here you can see how it's off on both sides. Too much overhang up top on the left side, with a little exposed wood at the bottom. Opposite problem on the right side. :mad: Really reminds me of my noob modding days with the EXT. Not really knowing what I don't know, until the mistakes are painfully obvious.

20231222_171141_resize.jpg20231222_170335_resize.jpg

Do have a plan in mind, that doesn't involve taking everything down and trying to tweak the framing. I still have the old drip edge that I pulled off from the original roof, and it's in relatively good condition. There's more than enough to slip in on either side, and run some screws down each edge. Hate trying to get access to that left side by the fence, it's REALLY tight back there.

20231222_170037_resize.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Time to wrap up one of these projects, the list is too long as it is. Punched the old rusty nails out of the drip edge, and hammered it in a few places to knock out the kinks. Used some aluminum tape over the nail holes on the pieces I planned to use on the sides, so no water got through to the wood. Also decided to hammer a small lip on the inside of the drip edge, so any water that got to that point would be guided out through the bottom, and not make its way inside to the wood that way either..

20231223_131523_resize.jpg20231223_131555_resize.jpg

One piece covered the whole side facing the yard, was able to use another long piece and a short piece to cover the front, and only used a short 4 foot piece to cover the area on the back side near the bottom, since only a few feet were exposed.

20231223_155603_resize.jpg

Ran the rest of the screws in for the short panels, and it's rain ready at least. :thumbsup: Hip started to bother me this time, so after a bit of cleanup, called it quits for the day. Now self medicating with some whiskey sours before dinner :biggrin:

IMG_20231222_221456_01_resize.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Almost had multiple cardiac events this morning. Sat down on the couch and flipped on the TV to watch some stuff off my Plex server, and got an error message that the file for the selected content could not be found. :eyebrowhuh: Walk to the hallway where the computer is and see red lights on TWO of the drives in the raid tower. :wowfaint: It's a RAID5 setup, so 2 drives failing = lose everything.

20231227_094918_resize.jpg

Open the application on the computer and see that no only did the 2 drives fail at the exact same time, but one of them is the newest drive that was just replaced earlier this year. Threw up a hail Mary, reseated both drives, and the raid came back online, for a few minutes before they went off again. :mad:

Raid Error Log 2.png

Another hail Mary, rebooted the server, and reseated the drives again. They've been online for the past hour and change. The security camera footage, I can stand to lose, since it gets overwritten every few weeks anyway. Plugged in my USB hard drive dock, and decided to make backups of my music and software download collections. Those can sit on older static drives that sit in boxes. Have a few older 3TB drives, will make static copies of my other media once those are finished.

Have had a drive fail in the raid twice before, but that was somewhat expected as all of the drives I used had many years of work already. Was definitely NOT prepared to see 2 acting up, especially the newest one. Have to consider something more redundant in the future. :undecided:

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
always thoughts about a drive array at home .. but not today as tested positive for covid yesterday and feel like crap. No worse than a flu, but now i get to stay in the family room so as to stay away from everyone until i test fine. was supposed to be back in office today after being out since 12/16 too ... oh well I am WFH

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Been MIA for a bit. Went on vacation on December 23rd. First day back today. Will have to follow up more about this when I am not at working catching up.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah I'm back to work today too, after being off for 3 weeks. Lots of cleanup, and mini fires to put out cuz people don't know how to use their resources to answer questions.

Ever since rebooting the server, the raid has been fine. Not sure if it was just an issue with the software that needed a reset. Used some older drives as static backups for the critical stuff, so that's some cheap insurance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably shopping for a water softener. My current one, which is not that old, literally sh!t the bed. It ejected all the resin beads out the discharge and the flow was causing some flooding in the basement as the floor drain couldn't take the amount of water. Contacted the maker and they said to the check the discharge flow restrictor, which wound up cocked and just letting full water flow which also pushed all the resin out of the tank. You can see the resin around the drain. So my floor drain is plugged up with this stuff.

Will wait for the company to get back to me as far as a warranty is concerned but I think I'm SOL. PXL_20240102_231807537.jpg

There's a other $1000+ I wasn't planning on spending ☹️

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod