My Summit White SS Clone Progress

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Looking good! :thumbsup: Great use of the Cadillac side molding. I see what you mean now about the width being smaller. Side molding on the roof is the best option IMO, saves from spending all that money at the body shop.

Looking forward to some more pics :yes:

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Looking good! :thumbsup: Great use of the Cadillac side molding. I see what you mean now about the width being smaller. Side molding on the roof is the best option IMO, saves from spending all that money at the body shop.

Looking forward to some more pics :yes:

Yeah and using the Cadillac ones it almost blends in with the other ridges in the roof. Of course more pics are to come.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I used scratch-x, it seemed to do a good job.

Yeah ok. Hey I just saw where your from. I was just up there this past weekend. DC/Maryland area.

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Truck's looking good man, Mikey likes!! :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Venomhatch said:
Yeah ok. Hey I just saw where your from. I was just up there this past weekend. DC/Maryland area.

I'm about an hour south of DC. Nice area but it gets expensive. I will be down in your area next Sep, the Orlando area is one of my favorite places to go.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I'm about an hour south of DC. Nice area but it gets expensive. I will be down in your area next Sep, the Orlando area is one of my favorite places to go.

dmanns67 said:
:iagree:

Definitely worked great for me when cleaning up the paint after I removed the side molding and roof rack.

Yeah you bringing the TB or flying.

Diezelbonez

Mar 10, 2013
Hey where did you get the side moldings from? how much were they? Also have you found anywhere to get the ss front and grill from?

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Diezelbonez said:
Hey where did you get the side moldings from? how much were they? Also have you found anywhere to get the ss front and grill from?

They are from a 2013 Cadillac STS 4DR, and they were 70$. I have found the ss grill complete just not for the front bumper yet.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Venomhatch said:
Yeah you bringing the TB or flying.

Unfortunately no. We will be driving the Jetta. The last 4 trips down we drove the TB, however this time it will be just me and the wife, so we do not need the extra room. I will be driving it to TN in May for our wedding. As nice and fast as flying is, its always been cheaper to just drive. 14 hours goes by pretty quick, and no need for a rental.

Diezelbonez

Mar 10, 2013
Venomhatch said:
They are from a 2013 Cadillac STS 4DR, and they were 70$. I have found the ss grill complete just not for the front bumper yet.

where did you find the grill? and how much i am looking for one as well but they are hard to come by.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Diezelbonez said:
where did you find the grill? and how much I am looking for one as well but they are hard to come by.

I found a complete upper grill locally with all mesh pieces for 350.00

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Any updates or new pics?

There has been a lot going on with family health issues with Cancer so that has been my primary concern and the TB has kind of been put on a lil hold. I have however bought my SS Dash Complete with airbags and trim bezel. Then working on the Center console and door panels after that. I will be doing the interior trim pieces also, but instead of swapping the top to "Opel" I have thought about leaving that gray but using the "Ebony" for the lower half still. As for the cluster I am not sure about now. I have been reading a lot about people encountering "OVERSPEED" and Other Faults on the cluster swapping it into a non SS. IF anyone has ways to prevent the faults from showing up or how to links on preventing it. Then please post the links to about the fix.

Thx, for understanding the health issues. That is why I have been away.

Don

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am sorry to hear about the health issues with your family, I hope everything works out for the best.

Looking forward to seeing the progress once you have the time to get back into it.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I am sorry to hear about the health issues with your family, I hope everything works out for the best.

Looking forward to seeing the progress once you have the time to get back into it.

Thanks. I will try to keep the thread alive. I just have been dealing with all of this.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
I do need a Trailblazer DIY / How To Remove the Dash from the components so I can swap the Gray dash with the Black SS one. Also I need to know if I get a SS Gauge Cluster, is it true about the OverSpeed Warnings, or will it be fine in my 2002 LS?

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Venomhatch said:
I do need a Trailblazer DIY / How To Remove the Dash from the components so I can swap the Gray dash with the Black SS one. Also I need to know if I get a SS Gauge Cluster, is it true about the OverSpeed Warnings, or will it be fine in my 2002 LS?

It looks like a lot of work. Found one that might help so far: [video=youtube;u5BUl9R42t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BUl9R42t0[/video]

Then I typed in trailblazer ss conversion and got some great videos: this guy might be a good one to talk to about changing out the cluster [video=youtube;zf2P8W6wKoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2P8W6wKoQ[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Its not a real tbss. Its a clone with a 6.0 ls2. With that being said...I appreciate the build and think its built better than my tbss.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
jrSS said:
Its not a real tbss. Its a clone with a 6.0 ls2. With that being said...I appreciate the build and think its built better than my tbss.

I agree about the 6.0ls2 but I am not for the shaved handles, bright orange paint, flames, hood scoops, etc. Just my opinion.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Venomhatch said:
I agree about the 6.0ls2 but I am not for the shaved handles, bright orange paint, flames, hood scoops, etc. Just my opinion.

I agree about the ricey mods like the flames and the shaved handles, but I did find the hood scoop on the TB to actually be tasteful. It's a throwback to the stinger hoods on the early Corvettes, a look that I have always liked. My personal preferences aside, it looks like a very well built SS clone, whoever built it should be proud, I know I sure would be.

JOHNER

Sep 26, 2013
Venomhatch said:

You will be fine, everything bolts right up and works the way it should. No issues.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
JOHNER said:
You will be fine, everything bolts right up and works the way it should. No issues.

Do I need to take the steering wheel out or seats? Someone told me I would but I have seen an envoy disassemble and it didn't need to do all that. Thanks.

JOHNER

Sep 26, 2013
Venomhatch said:
Do I need to take the steering wheel out or seats? Someone told me I would but I have seen an envoy disassemble and it didn't need to do all that. Thanks.

Technically, you don't have to but it honestly makes things ALOT easier.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
JOHNER said:
Technically, you don't have to but it honestly makes things ALOT easier.

Ok Just got the Dash out and Newish SS one Installed in about 2.5 Hours without removing Steering Wheel or Seats. I did have to remove the Center Console though. Pics up soon!

Thanks to all who sent me the service pages for this!

Reactions: Blckshdw

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Venomhatch said:
Ok Just got the Dash out and Newish SS one Installed in about 2.5 Hours without removing Steering Wheel or Seats. I did have to remove the Center Console though. Pics up soon!

Thanks to all who sent me the service pages for this!

Here is the pics... I do want someone to tell me of a good interior restoration compound because the driver knee bolster panel has some age look to it from sitting. Also Replaced kickpanel/rocker sills, B pillars, and cargo panels with the Ebony Panels. More pics will be up of that soon.

IMG_2795_zpsd2891c0b.jpg

IMG_2796_zps0b222cc7.jpg

IMG_2797_zps21469603.jpg

IMG_2798_zps5b3ad142.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Ok so I am about to buy a SS cluster and would like to know is there a way to add miles to a cluster? Not take away. I want to bring the SS cluster up to my current miles and have seen other clusters when people send 12volt to a pin it would make the mileage go up. Can I do this with the TBSS cluster? I also don't have the steering wheel with buttons yet either. I plan on getting it but haven't yet.

I currently have 151312 Miles
SS cluster has 111,000 Approx Miles

Let me know.

Donald

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Venomhatch said:
Ok so I am about to buy a SS cluster and would like to know is there a way to add miles to a cluster? Not take away. I want to bring the SS cluster up to my current miles and have seen other clusters when people send 12volt to a pin it would make the mileage go up. Can I do this with the TBSS cluster? I also don't have the steering wheel with buttons yet either. I plan on getting it but haven't yet.

I currently have 151312 Miles
SS cluster has 111,000 Approx Miles

Let me know.

Donald

I don't think our clusters are that simple. There's memory chips and programming involved. You might have to take it to a speedometer repair shop to get the mileage programmed. That's what I had to do when I converted to a DIC cluster. I initially tried to have it done at Carmax, where I bought my TB, and they said they couldn't do it.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Blckshdw said:
I don't think our clusters are that simple. There's memory chips and programming involved. You might have to take it to a speedometer repair shop to get the mileage programmed. That's what I had to do when I converted to a DIC cluster. I initially tried to have it done at Carmax, where I bought my TB, and they said they couldn't do it.

So you have done the same thing I want to do?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mine isn't an SS cluster, but yes, I went from a non DIC cluster, to a DIC cluster, and added control buttons where the 4WD place holder sits, so I could cycle through the DIC functions (cheaper route than adding the steering wheel, getting a clock spring, and all that). Had to get the mileage updated so it matched (more closely) what I had originally. More details on that adventure in this post. :cool:

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Mine isn't an SS cluster, but yes, I went from a non DIC cluster, to a DIC cluster, and added control buttons where the 4WD place holder sits, so I could cycle through the DIC functions (cheaper route than adding the steering wheel, getting a clock spring, and all that). Had to get the mileage updated so it matched (more closely) what I had originally. More details on that adventure in this post. :cool:

One last thing about your mod. Which switch is it I need? I thought I needed more than one?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Venomhatch said:
One last thing about your mod. Which switch is it I need? I thought I needed more than one?

:confused: Switch? Everything I used for my mod is shown in the post I linked to. So you can either see them there, OR come to the meet next weekend and see it in person! :yes: :deal: :deadhorse: :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online