My Summit White SS Clone Progress

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Well A couple of you know me some members here have inspired me to start a LS/SS Clone. As I have progress I will update. I just got this one today and am open to suggestions. I will be keeping my Roof Rack sorry everyone but I use it actually on my EXT so I know I will use it on the LS. In the last photo for day one, there is an antenna I have a question about. Now this is my first OnStar equipped vehicle and I was told this is the antenna for it. Am I right to assume this? I don't want the antenna there so must I have it? Or does it have anything to do with OnStar?

Year: 2002
Model: Trailblazer LS
Color: Summit White
Mileage: 151315

Day 1:
Removed "Chevrolet", "LS", and all Dealership Decals
Started work on removing Pin Striping.
Cleaned the inside and outside.

Day 2: Will consist of Removing the Running boards, the rest of the pin striping, and the moldings. (By the way if anyone has tips on taking of moldings, pin-striping, and running boards that have been on there since it was new, then please help. Also for now Touch up paint for the chipped areas.

Day 1's Photos (Black Specs are Chips into the paint already there when I got it):
photo12_zpse84e970a.jpg

photo31_zpsa664d63b.jpg

photo22_zpsace1d1c6.jpg

photo23_zpse14f0452.jpg

photo13_zps3659e4c3.jpg

photo11_zps7a9f48b5.jpg

photo21_zps2042c89d.jpg

photo41_zpsb7d46b3f.jpg

photo51_zps5e9051f8.jpg

Day 2: Progress Well today it was raining so no hands on work occured, but ordered some of my SS badges. Here is what I have so far. For the GM Performance Division ones I got two the big 3" one and the 2" one also. So I guess I will figure out where to put the extra one. I also got two of the door "SS" ones also.

Doors:
KGrHqFhME9ELeOV1dBPlvBM7gng60_12_zps895a48f7.jpg

T2eC16dHJGwFFZKjy5ZjBRyDwcsy60_57_zps465c8d46.jpg

TailGate Badges:
KGrHqIOKkE3vDn7pk2BOFMuCK25g_12_zps38c84de7.jpg

KGrHqRHJBE9j13fL9BPRS61CHb60_12_zps7b141a71.jpg

KGrHqFHJ0FH6lWZ7iBSDi4o0jvg60_12_zps5a5e51a2.jpg

Of Course in this last one I will not put the LS part on there.

Day 3: Progress... Weather Crappy, but cleared up long enough for me to do this.

1. Well I removed my old "TrailBlazer" Badge
2. Molding Delete
3. Running Board Delete

Also since I removed the moldings I cleaned the area up the best I could but still I have these black lines. Thought they were dirt, but no matter how hard I rub or polish on it they don't go away. Any suggestions? Will paint the Rockers tomorrow, and if I can figure out how to disassemble the mirror caps them also. Anybody know if there is a market for selling my moldings? They came off without bending or breaking.

Pics:
1a_zps4079bd56.jpg

2_zpse0578e08.jpg

7_zpsef3c720c.jpg

3_zps1c36e176.jpg

6_zps56875dc1.jpg

5_zps80f72982.jpg

Day 4:
1. OnStar Antenna Delete (Just removed both window pieces and stuffed the cable in the headliner, and OnStar still works!)
2. Deep Stain and upholstery cleaning
3. Removed the dirt lines that formed around the moldings. (Yes I actually found that gumout products has something to remove it with a rough pad or cloth.)
4. Still have to find out why my sunroof tries to go back crooked. (Still didn’t figure this out today.)
5. Removed pin striping.
6. Fixed my center console lid which was sagging down in the middle, I guess someone DDTed it.(Everywhere there is a glue line there was a crack. It was a puzzle piece putting it back together.)

Pics (Sorry about the darkness I just got done working on it after work today):
photo11_zpsc354eff4.jpg

photo21_zps9d4bc7e5.jpg

photo31_zpsaf937a72.jpg

photo41_zpsf25a2ef7.jpg

photo51_zps46123ef4.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Day 5:
1. Better pics of last nights work.
2. Performed Headlight Restore. (Yellow Haze Started in on them.)
3. Detailed the interior more.
4. Applied some of my SS Clone Badging that surprised me and came today. (I can provide measurements to future Cloners if needed.)
5. Need an opinion. I have measured the hatch emblem to the edge and it seems crooked in the pic. What do you all think?

Pics:
Last Night's Work
3_zps32a28254.jpg

4_zps99f7e69e.jpg

Before Headlight Restore
BeforeHeadlightRestore_zpsb0ba81e8.jpg

After Headlight Restore
AfterHeadlightRestore_zpse5b58bca.jpg

Clone Badging Started...
6_zps20f417b8.jpg

5_zps7ceb59e6.jpg

7c_zps57b4844a.jpg

7b_zps529616d4.jpg

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Day 6:

Not too much was done today, it was hotter than you know where outside even after getting off from work at Disney World. Then dealing with father-in-law having to do Chemo. Not much time today at all.

1. Received and applied my New 06+ "TrailBlazer" Badge.

photo11_zps47d86e93.jpg

photo21_zps0b68cf65.jpg

photo31_zps215161ce.jpg

Spotted a Silver Real SS that had parked near mine so I took some shots of it. I thought they had nice exhaust on there but it was just tips that I could see. I am going to have to get these mud flaps to deflect the stones from my doors.

photo51_zps4d42a7d4.jpg

sstb_zps2c4845cb.jpg

sstb1_zps389c1cc4.jpg

sstb2_zps27e06e0b.jpg

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Yes, that is the cellular portion of OnStar. It's for the old analog system which has been discontinued. The OnStar also connects to a GPS antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield near the mirror.

If you're going to make a clone, the last thing I would do is put the SS badges on it.

There is a person on the TBSS forum who had taken out the 4.2 and dropped in a 7 liter LS7.

Reactions: TXBlazer

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012

02TrailBlazer

Jan 22, 2013
Venomhatch said:
I am going to have to get these mud flaps to deflect the stones from my doors.

sstb2_zps27e06e0b.jpg

I am NOT a fan of those mudflaps lol. My car I would've torn them off by now (if there wasn't exposed metal underneath!) and get something like these:
View attachment 30343

http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty...logo/p2003149.jcwx?skuId=392471&filterid=g211

Which my Bro has on his TB, just looks better IMO.

The mudflaps that you mentioned can damage the paint where they overlap onto the quarter panels. This could be avoided by strategically taping underneath the mudflaps or sort of gluing them on to stop the movement.

Attachments

• mudflaps02.jpg
    mudflaps02.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 58

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
whoah whoah whoah! how did you get the windows antenna off? I though it was actually built into the window, is it something you can actually just pop off? :confused:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
This is a pretty cool SS transformation. After the apperiance of the SS, you're going to put in a SS 6.0L engine right? :biggrin:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
CDJuda said:
whoah whoah whoah! how did you get the windows antenna off? I though it was actually built into the window, is it something you can actually just pop off? :confused:

It's only held on with some super sticky tape. Some elbow grease and it comes right off. I don't think that mod is over here because most people are past that point after leaving the other site.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
CDJuda said:

DJones said:
It's only held on with some super sticky tape. Some elbow grease and it comes right off. I don't think that mod is over here because most people are past that point after leaving the other site.

Yeah it wasn't really hard to do. Even the fact it had been there since 02. It was just a couple of pries with a screw driver in three spots and it came right up. Then a little mineral spirits and finished removing any glue left behind. Since it is the analog system I am thinking of removing the whole damn thing. Also the SS motor is on the list at some point to do so no it wouldn't be stopping at looks.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Looks like the mod bug has hit the ground running! :biggrin: Not sure how much more you are planning to get done in the next 2 months, but we're having our annual meet on the other end of I-4, would love to have you join us if you're up for it. :thumbsup:

http://gmtnation.com/f49/5th-annual-pinellas-park-meet-10-26-2013-a-6215/

I am waiting on a nice good check to finish the outside and start on the inside. But I don't know about 2 months maybe. But under the hood would be off limits since I would make that next priority. Is there a TB/Envoy Crew down here I never knew about?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Venomhatch said:
I am waiting on a nice good check to finish the outside and start on the inside. But I don't know about 2 months maybe. But under the hood would be off limits since I would make that next priority. Is there a TB/Envoy Crew down here I never knew about?

Most of the more socially active FL members are over here, but we've also got members in the Ocala/Gainesville area, and up around Jacksonville/St Augustine. There's a handful of members over in Orlando too.

http://gmtnation.com/f49/tampa-bay-area-mini-meets-1194/ :cool:

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Most of the more socially active FL members are over here, but we've also got members in the Ocala/Gainesville area, and up around Jacksonville/St Augustine. There's a handful of members over in Orlando too.

http://gmtnation.com/f49/tampa-bay-area-mini-meets-1194/ :cool:

Well I may just have to make some appearances. I don't mind going to Tampa every now and then. Orlando is a lot closer to me though lol.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I think you should have waited until you were further along to put the badges on, looks a little silly right now

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
DJones said:

yeah my father said it was like built into the window, I was pretty bummed cause to me it looks hideous... I'm taking that off today!

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
CDJuda said:
yeah my father said it was like built into the window, I was pretty bummed cause to me it looks hideous... I'm taking that off today!

I promise nothing but 3m tape holding it there.

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
Like others have posted.....you should have thought about the badges. You've done an awesome job so far demolding and cleaning it up, but you should not badge it for what it will never be.:twocents:

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
I'm not sure if anyone has gotten this far but I took my roof rack off, does anyone know what to do so that the ugly screw holes are covered up? I'll I've come up with is popping the screws back in and it looks kinda gross... :confused:

View attachment 30360

View attachment 30361

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 55
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Touch up paint. Also I used set screws and teflon tape to plug the hole. Keeps a lower profile which is easier to "hide".

Let me know if you need a place to store the cross bars or mounting bolts :wink:

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Touch up paint. Also I used set screws and teflon tape to plug the hole. Keeps a lower profile which is easier to "hide".

Let me know if you need a place to store the cross bars or mounting bolts :wink:

Think I could touch it up myself or better off taking it to a shop to have that done? :undecided:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
dmanns67 said:
:iagree: Unless you drop in the LS2. :yes:

IMO even with a LS it's still NOT a SS

Venomhatch, I know I come off as a hard ass, but at the end of the day it's YOUR truck. I'd like to give you props for taking it like a man and not getting butt hurt like some people tend to :thumbsup: At least your not rockin' STI, RT, SVT, GTR, ect.....

CDJuda said:
Think I could touch it up myself or better off taking it to a shop to have that done? :undecided:

On the roof, I think you'll be fine doing it yourself. For jobs like that I would get the touch up paint with the little brush. I plugged my holes with interior panel clips with a dab of silicone. I didn't need to paint them because you don't really see them on a lifted truck.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I want to say Welcome to The Nation. I would say use the door moldings if they were the smoothed type and some 3M to cover the holes. That would make it look a lot cleaner:thumbsup:.........you could always go with the RS badges.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Short Bus said:
On the roof, I think you'll be fine doing it yourself. For jobs like that I would get the touch up paint with the little brush. I plugged my holes with interior panel clips with a dab of silicone. I didn't need to paint them because you don't really see them on a lifted truck.

I went with the set screws as I knew one day I would want to put the rack back on, or use the holes for something else.

CD like Short Bus said you should be fine painting them yourself. I used the little one with the brush, its still up there too.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I went with the set screws as I knew one day I would want to put the rack back on, or use the holes for something else.

CD like Short Bus said you should be fine painting them yourself. I used the little one with the brush, its still up there too.

I might use my front holes (being an EXT they're raised a little) for a light bar at some point.

I would love to have something like this

[EBAY]181191571743[/EBAY]

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
blazinlow89 said:

Yeah I am trying to get my fiancé to let me take the bars off also. I thought about reinstalling the screws and adding silicone and touch up paint.

CDJuda said:

Short Bus said:
IMO even with a LS it's still NOT a SS

Venomhatch, I know I come off as a hard ass, but at the end of the day it's YOUR truck. I'd like to give you props for taking it like a man and not getting butt hurt like some people tend to :thumbsup: At least your not rockin' STI, RT, SVT, GTR, ect.....

Yeah I don't mind it and don't really care. To each there own. If I let all the critics get to me I wouldn't be able to work where I do.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well I gotta ask the obvious since no-one else has...

With the price/cost of all the parts BEFORE you even start the motor work, the motor itself, wire harness, computers, suspension work, wheels, interior swap, bumpers, etc..., wouldn't it just be cheaper just to buy an SS? They're dropping in price more and more everyday... could find a nice '06 for under $15k... cosmetics are relatively cheap, but I've read in the past that the rest has a pretty price tag on it.. and not to mention the labor costs if you don't know how to do anything dramatic after the cosmetics are done...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:

With the price/cost of all the parts BEFORE you even start the motor work, the motor itself, wire harness, computers, suspension work, wheels, interior swap, bumpers, etc..., wouldn't it just be cheaper just to buy an SS? They're dropping in price more and more everyday... could find a nice '06 for under $15k... cosmetics are relatively cheap, but I've read in the past that the rest has a pretty price tag on it.. and not to mention the labor costs if you don't know how to do anything dramatic after the cosmetics are done...

:iagree:

Ryda55555 said:
I second the RS badges :thumbsup:

Yep, I like the RS option. It's more of a concept of what GM could have done, not faking something they did do.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Venomhatch said:
Yeah I am trying to get my fiancé to let me take the bars off also. I thought about reinstalling the screws and adding silicone and touch up paint.

Yeah I don't mind it and don't really care. To each there own. If I let all the critics get to me I wouldn't be able to work where I do.

Telling you man set screws are the way to go, I will take pics tomorrow when Im working on the truck.

Boricua SS said:

$3500 is the cheapest I found on Ebay for just the engine. As much as I would love to buy one when my truck is paid off in a few months, I would rather have no car payment.

As for Venom's approach, I wanted to do an SS conversion when I first bought my truck. I changed my mind after seeing the prices for the bumpers, grille, and all the other stuff that went with it. With his approach I can see the I built this feeling. Of course we all have different pictures in our heads for what we want out of our trucks.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
I used the interior panel Christmas tree looking things and clear rtv. Turned out nice and super cheap. I also painted mine with the duplu color paint match spray can before I put them in!

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Boricua SS said:

Well that could be the way I go as I finish the bumpers and exterior. I may give this project to the Fiance and buy me an SS.

blazinlow89 said:
Telling you man set screws are the way to go, I will take pics tomorrow when I'm working on the truck.

$3500 is the cheapest I found on Ebay for just the engine. As much as I would love to buy one when my truck is paid off in a few months, I would rather have no car payment.

As for Venom's approach, I wanted to do an SS conversion when I first bought my truck. I changed my mind after seeing the prices for the bumpers, grille, and all the other stuff that went with it. With his approach I can see the I built this feeling. Of course we all have different pictures in our heads for what we want out of our trucks.

I feel you on the payments. I picked up this LS in running condition, no body damage, just sunroof needs a repair kit, with the mileage of 151315 from a old lady for, wait for it, $500.00 So I think good deal! I want to see pics of your method also!

Charley12 said:
I used the interior panel Christmas tree looking things and clear rtv. Turned out nice and super cheap. I also painted mine with the duplu color paint match spray can before I put them in!

Yeah I would like to see pics of your method also!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wow, that's about my monthly payment. Thank you recession. High interest rate sucks, but my credit is outstanding now.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Wow, that's about my monthly payment. Thank you recession. High interest rate sucks, but my credit is outstanding now.

LOL no Payments just $500.00, Here's the title!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online