My Summit White SS Clone Progress

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
Short Bus said:
IMO even with a LS it's still NOT a SS

Venomhatch, I know I come off as a hard ass, but at the end of the day it's YOUR truck. I'd like to give you props for taking it like a man and not getting butt hurt like some people tend to :thumbsup: At least your not rockin' STI, RT, SVT, GTR, ect.....

On the roof, I think you'll be fine doing it yourself. For jobs like that I would get the touch up paint with the little brush. I plugged my holes with interior panel clips with a dab of silicone. I didn't need to paint them because you don't really see them on a lifted truck.

My next mod is actually lowering the vehicle so I might have it done professionally, especially since I'll be going by the paint shop anyway. Someone keyed my vehicle a couple weeks ago

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Telling you man set screws are the way to go, I will take pics tomorrow when Im working on the truck.

$3500 is the cheapest I found on Ebay for just the engine. As much as I would love to buy one when my truck is paid off in a few months, I would rather have no car payment.

As for Venom's approach, I wanted to do an SS conversion when I first bought my truck. I changed my mind after seeing the prices for the bumpers, grille, and all the other stuff that went with it. With his approach I can see the I built this feeling. Of course we all have different pictures in our heads for what we want out of our trucks.

I called Jasper engine replacements, they gave me a quote for a new LS1 for like 3700 and a brand new LS2 for like 4200. I recall the warranty period being pretty good too. like 100,000 miles

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
CDJuda said:
My next mod is actually lowering the vehicle so I might have it done professionally, especially since I'll be going by the paint shop anyway. Someone keyed my vehicle a couple weeks ago

I keep wondering this myself. How much lower do the regular LS and LT have to lower to get to the same height as a SS? I was thinking of 1.5" Front / 3" Rear. But wondering if it would be right where SS sit at?

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
To get to stock height SS you will need a 2" rear 3/4" front drop.......basically you'll need SS struts and springs up front and 2" drop springs and a set of 2" drop shocks in the rear.

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
Venomhatch said:
I keep wondering this myself. How much lower do the regular LS and LT have to lower to get to the same height as a SS? I was thinking of 1.5" Front / 3" Rear. But wondering if it would be right where SS sit at?

I'm going 3 inches in the back and 2 inches in the front, I've heard from most people that a 3 inch drop in the back and a 1.5 inch drop in the front usually levels the vehicle out pretty well. So most likely that would give you a better result if you're cloning.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yea....but everyone says the springs up front suck. contact norcal_ss.(owner of tbssowners) he can hook u up. He sells the lowering struts. Here's mine. ..

Lowering struts up front w/ tonys modified upper control arms....and deflated bags with lowering shocks out back

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377645325305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377645325305.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 49

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
jrSS said:
Yea....but everyone says the springs up front suck. contact norcal_ss.(owner of tbssowners) he can hook u up. He sells the lowering struts. Here's mine. ..

Lowering struts up front w/ tonys modified upper control arms....and deflated bags with lowering shocks out back

I just signed up over there. So I guess when I get approved then I will contact him. Thanks do I say jrSS sent me?

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
jrSS said:

I've got the same headlights as you, I'm ordering that Belltech drop kit tomorrow, how far did you lower the front end? :wootwoot:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I used 2 of the 8mm spacers that comes with the drop struts. I am sitting at 30.5" from ground to fenderlip.

Diezelbonez

Mar 10, 2013
Im doing the same thing with my TB although not doing a SS clone just making her sweet sexy and sleek. But i did the DJM kit and i love it! just wish the back was a litle lower, anyone have any ideas? I havent changed the shocks in the back would that make a difference? But, I basically have done everything to the outside already just ordered me some gloss black replica 22's and shes off to the paint both in a couple weeks. After that interior and then engine hopefully LS3 or more. If you need any guidance ive done a ton of research and found the best prices on everything.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Buy the 30.5" springs that tony had djm made for him...mine should be here any day now.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
jrSS said:
Buy the 30.5" springs that tony had djm made for him...mine should be here any day now.

Talked to Tony Yesterday. Going to order mine here Friday!

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
TexazReece said:
I want to say Welcome to The Nation. I would say use the door moldings if they were the smoothed type and some 3M to cover the holes. That would make it look a lot cleaner:thumbsup:.........you could always go with the RS badges.

Yeah unfortunately the moldings have lettering on them... I did think about that though

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
Venomhatch said:
Talked to Tony Yesterday. Going to order mine here Friday!

Make sure you've got a pay pal account, I didn't realize they didn't accept credit cards. :crazy:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
TexazReece said:
I want to say Welcome to The Nation. I would say use the door moldings if they were the smoothed type and some 3M to cover the holes. That would make it look a lot cleaner.

Thats the route I took. Looks better than painting the top of each set screw and is cheaper than taking your TB to a body shop to have them grind down the holes, fill them, and repaint the roof. :thumbsup:

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Thats the route I took. Looks better than painting the top of each set screw and is cheaper than taking your TB to a body shop to have them grind down the holes, fill them, and repaint the roof. :thumbsup:

I agree. I just used Cadillac STS 2013 White 4Dr moldings. Covers them nicely and very small foot print on the roof.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Venomhatch said:
I agree. I just used Cadillac STS 2013 White 4Dr moldings. Covers them nicely and very small foot print on the roof.

Sweet man. Do you happen to have any pics or is the side molding similar to that of whar is used on the TB?

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
Here is mine, tony set me up with exactly the ride height of an SS, I have a set of ss front spring and stout if you want them. I'm sure if you zoom in you can see my roof rack modView attachment 30429

Attachments

• IMG_20130826_185136_577.jpg
    IMG_20130826_185136_577.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 72

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Sweet man. Do you happen to have any pics or is the side molding similar to that of whar is used on the TB?

Its thinner than the TB ones, from top edge to bottom edge if it was installed on the door, and it is lower profile. I will post pics as soon as I can. Dark already here.

They are 1.5" width and 65"+ length.

Diezelbonez

Mar 10, 2013
jrSS said:

Are those rear springs lower than the ones that come with the DJM kit?? How much did you pay?

CDJuda

Dec 28, 2012
My kit came in today, I still need to order the control arms though. I'll order that in a couple weeks after next pay check. Getting pretty excited! :thumbsup:

View attachment 30549

Attachments

• 1185833_10201780150455302_1298248060_n.jpg
    1185833_10201780150455302_1298248060_n.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Blckshdw

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
CDJuda said:
My kit came in today, I still need to order the control arms though. I'll order that in a couple weeks after next pay check. Getting pretty excited! :thumbsup:

View attachment 17366

Yeah that is the same one I ordered.

blazinlow89 said:
I think you guys scared off the OP.

I am still here. But I guess the conversion got moved to everything under the TB topic. Don't get me wrong the thread was discussing this lowering to help with my overall project but I don't want to get too far off the path here if possible.

Thanks

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Venomhatch said:
Yeah that is the same one I ordered.

I am still here. But I guess the conversion got moved to everything under the TB topic. Don't get me wrong the thread was discussing this lowering to help with my overall project but I don't want to get too far off the path here if possible.

Thanks

Ya, your thread got jacked a little

thhijack.gif

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Well sorry I have been away for a while I wanted to get this thread back on track as well as deal with a few family health issues.

There as been a lot of work progress done to the outside lately.

1. Painted Rocker Panels, Door Handles, and Mirrors Covers.

2. Grounded Down the bolt caps in the roof rack and used the matched Cadillac moldings to cover them. (Still trying to get rid of the roof rack marks.)

3. Added SS 20" Rims and Tires OEM not the Knock-offs.

4. Added Rear SS Bumper and all pieces.

5. Still working on tracking down a severe drain in voltage of sitting overnight, that is why there is an extension cord in some of the shots.

photo11_zps547fca87.jpg

photo41_zps5ecdad2e.jpg

photo31_zpsd322c6fd.jpg

photo1_zpsebed8618.jpg

photo2_zpsb610104a.jpg

photo13_zps4efc4649.jpg

photo33_zps57f28d6a.jpg

photo23_zps082b927d.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsa9a5e4e7.jpg

IMG_2652_zpse34d4230.jpg

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Showtyme said:
Nice progress. It defiantly looks alot more like an SS now.

Thank you very much for the nice words. But what is still to be added to the outside is the SS grill complete and the SS front bumper complete. Well for the outside.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
So what do you still need for the exterior? Front bumper, new rear wiper and the lowering kit?

It starting to look pretty sweet.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
man.. hate to say it but your paint guy didn't do a great job with those bumpers/rockers. When I redid my bumpers I just took them to the shop and gave them the paint code, didn't look as off as yours and it still drove me crazy, took the entire truck there so he could match the paint on the vehicle, came out a lot better.

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
So what do you still need for the exterior? Front bumper, new rear wiper and the lowering kit?

It starting to look pretty sweet.

New rear wiper, lowering kit, SS grill complete and the SS front bumper complete. Well for the outside.

jimmyjam said:
man.. hate to say it but your paint guy didn't do a great job with those bumpers/rockers. When I redid my bumpers I just took them to the shop and gave them the paint code, didn't look as off as yours and it still drove me crazy, took the entire truck there so he could match the paint on the vehicle, came out a lot better.

I wasn't sure if it was off or not. It doesn't look off all the time to me. But the right lighting I see what your talking about. I will end up taking it to the shop and doing a once over on those parts again.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Looks really good, nice upgrades. Looks like your project is going well :thumbsup:

I love the rims and the SS logos...

Venomhatch

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Denali n DOO said:
Looks really good, nice upgrades. Looks like your project is going well :thumbsup:

I love the rims and the SS logos...

Thank you, still lots of work ahead!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online