Hardtrailz Build Thread 2006 Trailblazer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Took some time to take all the cut off parts off the rear and get it ready for carrier and locker. My one avenue fell through, so I may try the install myself, but the thing is far easier to handle with everything stripped off.

Everything cut and hanging off it
rr2.jpg

rr1.jpg

The pile of extras
rr3.jpg

Rotors are good, panhard and swaybar are good, caliper are good and pads look great
caliper.jpg

Ready for carrier and locker, plus some cleanup and paint I think.
rr4.jpg

Reactions: CaptainKD

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Couple cool shot from the Badlands this weekend. Did break a tie rod in a nasty spot, but members here worked together and we got it out and fixed. Thanks again guys.

Tie Rods....what are those..?? :tongue:

Don't worry folks....it's just a little Jeep humor. One of the nice things about hitting the trails with similar vehicles is the people usually have the knowledge and parts to get past breakages like this. The Badlands shop is pretty good about fixing broken stuff as well....

Awesome rig..!!:thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
davenay67 said:
The Badlands shop is pretty good about fixing broken stuff as well....

True. Cabe there used to work on Pimp My Ride. He helped me with a lil electric gremlin at the end of the day.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
No. Fishsticks said he had issues with the cv's coming apart when turning full lock and as tight as the stuff I do around here, it is not worth the risk of losing a cv. I had planned on it, but just can't justify losing full turning.

For all the effort you're putting in, I would lock the front anyway. Just pull it back into 2WD if you're on something with a super sharp turn. Hell, I run black diamond trails in 2WD when it's dry. You'll be doing the same.

We're pretty similar on front end mods, and I can change a CV axle out in 10 minutes on the trail. I'd be more worried about grenading the splined disconnect if I were you. You may never have an issue though because you're staying with 4.10s.

Do it, keep the wheel speed low when you're locked in, and you'll be amazed. The front locker turns the truck into a TOTALLY different animal in way pictures can't describe. It makes up for the biggest problem with IFS - lack of flex.

I was a pussy and gave up on the 360 for a SAS rig. That means you have to lead the way now. DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEET! :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I turn full lock every few hundred yards at local parks. Half the time the trails began as atv trails and are tight and twisty. Our tight turning radius is one thing that really helps me hang with the jeeps.

I basically never use 2wd or 4hi just because I need/want lo range for the ups and downs. Even 4.56s wouldn't alleviate that. Not sure I will run 2wd even if the truck physically can. I like not using the brakes.

Plus I miss the point of a front locker if 2wd is adequate for most. I need to go pickup the spare #s disconnect I found though. Will give me an entire spare front end minus hubs.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
But damn...I do want the front locked...

If it was a bit cheaper I might be convinced to try it even with the issues I perceive for my use.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Took some time to take all the cut off parts off the rear and get it ready for carrier and locker. My one avenue fell through, so I may try the install myself, but the thing is far easier to handle with everything stripped off.

Everything cut and hanging off it
rr2.jpg

rr1.jpg

The pile of extras
rr3.jpg

Rotors are good, panhard and swaybar are good, caliper are good and pads look great
caliper.jpg

Ready for carrier and locker, plus some cleanup and paint I think.
rr4.jpg

Are the SS axles for strength, or are they geared better..?? How do the standard TB / Envoy axles handle larger tires, such as 35's..??

Big Achilles heel on the Jeep, I daren't go beyond 32's on my standard Dana 35. :no: No time or money for 44's or a Ford 8.8 conversion.

Dave.

Reactions: Husker1

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
davenay67 said:
Are the SS axles for strength, or are they geared better..?? How do the standard TB / Envoy axles handle larger tires, such as 35's..??

Big Achilles heel on the Jeep, I daren't go beyond 32's on my standard Dana 35. :no: No time or money for 44's or a Ford 8.8 conversion.

Dave.

The SS have 4.10 gears which is better. The 9.5 SF 14 bolt is basically equal to a Dana 60 in strength, much stronger than the standard 8.0 or 8.6.

The stock weakness is the g80 and lack of other lockers. The 8.6 ext axle can have an aftermarket locker added, but the 8.0 cannot. Many of us run 33's hard without issue, as long as you baby the g80. 35s are not really used by anyone but fishsticks and he has the 8.6 w aftermarket locker.

I have seen 33s and some 35s on a D35 do ok for many if you dont have a lead foot. Still not a great axle, but neither is our little front diff. However not many people have had issues with the front diff as long as regular upkeep is done.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
for your jeep, get the Chrysler 8.25 axle.
It is standard in a lot of the XJ's.
It is a big improvement over the D35 but not quite D44 or 8.8.
You just lose ABS with the 8.25.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I got the locker in and backlash and pattern are great. Did the rear install yesterday. No pics of that but will have some of rear internals.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Too bad there isn't an available "on demand" front locker around. Keep it open normally but have the ability to lock when desired. Sure would be nice. Not enough of a market for such a thing however.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Random shot

b-2.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Few more randoms
SDC12625-1.jpg

SDC12630-1.jpg

SDC12619-1.jpg

blueice12

Mar 28, 2012
Truck looks awesome and the off-road pics are great,Where did you get your rear bumper guard?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I think its a waag and it was just a random internet vendor. Mine is customized for the 3 inch body lift and will likely be for sale soon.

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:

LOVE this picture right here, it's my favorite!!...........Great rig!!

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Your TB looks beautiful!

Jan 2, 2012
I love the new rear bumper with the swing out tire and spare fuel can. Not only functional but it looks like a great fit too. What will you have on there next man!? Amazing looking rig, look forward to seeing more of it!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Got another nice skidplate from MDB Fab. Transmission protection. Will grab some pics later.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Replaced the failed Japan springs and spacers with Skyjacker 25 springs. Rear is 1 inch higher than rear now.

Old collasped springs
oldsprings.jpg

New Springs
skyjacker.jpg

Stance now...
rearprofile.jpg

profile.jpg

2012-10-22_13-47-57_733.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Re-installed the interior divider/cage thing that came with it when I bought it. Was done by American body co or something like that. Previous owner had a wheel chair and this was to keep it from hitting the pasengers or him in a wreck. It mounts where rear coat hooks are and in some threaded holes above the driver and passengers head. The gate slides from behind front seats to behind rear seats. I put it in for 2 reasons...protect lil one from flying objects I keep back there and for mounting a few things.

Reason for it
grace.jpg

Behind rear seat
intcage.jpg

Fits nicely between cargo cover and back of seat.
rearintcage2.jpg

rearintcage.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Ended up withan 02 Impala. 30MPG and loaded w options.

Skid plate pics as promised

tc2.jpg

3skids.jpg

rock2.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Few shots from Tecore VII

tc1.jpg

tc77.jpg

tc.jpg

trail.jpg

tc3.jpg

tc777.jpg

tc7.jpg

walmart.jpg

stuffed.jpg

2012-10-12_16-50-56_728.jpg

2012-10-12_16-54-18_530.jpg

2012-10-12_16-50-47_452.jpg

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
HARDTRAILZ I love your rig! Really nice work. That new tire/gas can carrier is awesome:thumbsup:

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Do you have clearance for the front tire if it moves up a lot?
Just wondering about the fender clearance. In a couple pics it looks like if it moved up a bunch it would smash the fender.

Plus your build should always be up at the top of the page, just cause.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Decent clearance. The firewall and occasionally the frame behind tire are closest spots.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Badass rig man

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Still looking good man..

I am still hoping to get a off road meet up, mountain version, sooner or later.. Hoping you will attend..

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sucks that I do not even get updates to my own build thread. But thatnks for the kind words.

Couple pics...

IMG_20130405_144401_130_zpsc2fcc5ae.jpg

IMG_20130405_170312_565_zps2e1cfd51.jpg

IMG_20130405_202430_496_zps1982e7c6.jpg

Reactions: triz and CaptainKD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.